- It's Brian Eno's birthday. He turns 62 today. Pulled a random Oblique Strategies card: "Accretion." #
- Morning sounds in order: birdsong, comforter ruffling, floor creaking, hard drives whirring, heater clicking on, airplane overhead. #
- Primer rising? Actual news story about a film that seems to in some way involve the elusive Shane Carruth: http://is.gd/c9IJi #
- Guy Kyser & Roger Kunkel of Thin White Rope have reunited as a bluegrass band, Doc Holler. Hope they still cover Can's "Yoo Doo Right." #
- Privacy aside, worst part of Facebok web insurgence may be that it's yet another thing to slow down web pages as they load. #
- Two ice cubes in crackling in coffee. Very different meaning than the ice cubes just 11 hours ago. #
- Two ice cubes in glass just succumbed to the whiskey's warmth and clinked like a tiny church bell. #
- Neighbor's afternoon music: lulling bass throb thru 100-year-old walls. Mistaken for industrial activity; more likely industrial techno. #
- The giant Zhang Huan sculpture has been unveiled near City Hall in SF. Better yet, a 14-year-old is playing electric guitar solo behind it. #
- Evening sounds: kore (hard drives), sore (typing), are (airplane). #
- Major thanks to @flavorpill & @maxwillens for the extended article on Atlantic-response album Despite the Downturn today: http://is.gd/c54It #
- Thanks to @maxwillens for 2 interviews regarding the Atlantic-response album, Despite the Downturn: http://is.gd/c54Jc http://is.gd/c54LF #
- First fog horns in a while, resounding from the bay. Imagining they'd taken an ocean voyage during the fog-free downtime that is spring. #
- Hip-hop/comics continuity: figuring out where the inside cover of the Beastie Boys' debut fits into the Stark Expo chronology in Iron Man 2. #
- Any word on who is doing the score for Anton Corbijn's The American? #
- Maybe symphony orchestras should set aside a balcony section for people who know they can't stop looking at their "smart"phones. #
- Sunday morning sounds: birds exhibiting extroversion, hard drives emerging from comas. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Jose: "Marc, holy smokes. I just realized you did a write up on this. My deepest and most sincere gratitudes and..."
jimmy kipple sound: "but but but what was the song? "
Mia Zabelka: "Thank you for the review. Thank you for the review! "
Rutger Zuydervelt: "Hi. Thanks for the review. Just a small thing, but memo’s piece is called..."
Aniket Roy: "Really very thoughtful. Sounds fun and worth a try at least. "
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0296 / Clustered Primes / Make music inspired by a prime-number query initiated by novelist Robin Sloan. • 0295 / Disregard Echoes / Make music inspired by a haiku, reflecting on Australian history. • 0294 / Offline Status / Pay tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil by turning his spoken words into music. • 0293 / Emerge/Immerse / Make music for Paige Dansinger's Palmyra 3D/VR images, paying tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil. • 0292 / Eclipse Music / In coordination with St. Louis Art Hack Day, make some solar-inspired tunes.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice