- It's Brian Eno's birthday. He turns 62 today. Pulled a random Oblique Strategies card: "Accretion." #
- Morning sounds in order: birdsong, comforter ruffling, floor creaking, hard drives whirring, heater clicking on, airplane overhead. #
- Primer rising? Actual news story about a film that seems to in some way involve the elusive Shane Carruth: http://is.gd/c9IJi #
- Guy Kyser & Roger Kunkel of Thin White Rope have reunited as a bluegrass band, Doc Holler. Hope they still cover Can's "Yoo Doo Right." #
- Privacy aside, worst part of Facebok web insurgence may be that it's yet another thing to slow down web pages as they load. #
- Two ice cubes in crackling in coffee. Very different meaning than the ice cubes just 11 hours ago. #
- Two ice cubes in glass just succumbed to the whiskey's warmth and clinked like a tiny church bell. #
- Neighbor's afternoon music: lulling bass throb thru 100-year-old walls. Mistaken for industrial activity; more likely industrial techno. #
- The giant Zhang Huan sculpture has been unveiled near City Hall in SF. Better yet, a 14-year-old is playing electric guitar solo behind it. #
- Evening sounds: kore (hard drives), sore (typing), are (airplane). #
- Major thanks to @flavorpill & @maxwillens for the extended article on Atlantic-response album Despite the Downturn today: http://is.gd/c54It #
- Thanks to @maxwillens for 2 interviews regarding the Atlantic-response album, Despite the Downturn: http://is.gd/c54Jc http://is.gd/c54LF #
- First fog horns in a while, resounding from the bay. Imagining they'd taken an ocean voyage during the fog-free downtime that is spring. #
- Hip-hop/comics continuity: figuring out where the inside cover of the Beastie Boys' debut fits into the Stark Expo chronology in Iron Man 2. #
- Any word on who is doing the score for Anton Corbijn's The American? #
- Maybe symphony orchestras should set aside a balcony section for people who know they can't stop looking at their "smart"phones. #
- Sunday morning sounds: birds exhibiting extroversion, hard drives emerging from comas. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 28, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0485 / Strange Weather / The Assignment: Remix the pure sounds of Chris Kallmyer's traveling wind chimes to your own musical purposes.
• 0484 / A Movable Heart / The Assignment: Transplant the sounds of Chris Kallmyer's wind chimes to a new location.
• 0483 / Type Set / The Assignment: Use a recording of yourself typing something as the underlying rhythmic track for a piece of music.
• 0482 / Exactly That Gap / The Assignment: Make a musical haiku following instructions from Marcus Fischer.
• 0481 / Capsule Time / The Assignment: Record a time capsule for yourself in the future.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 485 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments