- Not entirely surprised that in @songbirdteam the LyricMaster display pane doesn’t pull up the words to “u_07” off Alva Noto’s album Unitxt.
- Morning sounds: two tinkling hard drives in living room (netbook, TiVo) sound like small backyard birds; car idling a block away.
- 27: number of downloads left in my emusic account; wondering what to snag
- Not sure why Twitter Tools (for WordPress) consistently fails to post weekly set to Disquiet.com, which has current builds for plugin & WP.
- RIP, Dennis Hopper (b. 1936). Pulling out the miracle score he and Jack Nitzsche wrangled for The Hot Spot: Miles Davis vs. John Lee Hooker.
- Synchronic sonic diptych while working on the yard: a block or two over kids sing “It’s a Small World” while sirens roar by in the distance.
- 5.02: home DSL in Mb/s now that AT&T has fixed the trouble on the line
- 2.91: home DSL in Mb/s before AT&T figured out there’s trouble on the line
- Glad to hear SF’s Robotspeak gets to stay in its Lower Haight location, despite a radical change in business plan.
- 3: The number of devices currently on my person that can record sound.
- 85: combined number of tracks on the next two Oval releases (titled, respectively, Oh and O)
- â™ª Afternoon listening: industrial ambience from @pulsewidth http://is.gd/ctoUm
- Only music on the bus is the headphone leakage from a guy listening to mariachi tunes. The result sounds like a kalimba made of tinsel.
- Helped a friend build a blog, using wordpress.com. It’s about (written, but not drawn) fiction about superheroes: http://superheronovels.com
- Pulled up @evernote in @firefox and half expected a recent thought of mine to simply appear as a new document. Perhaps a future feature.
- 22: The (current) rank of the word “listening” among the top 100 terms used in people’s first @twitter posts: http://is.gd/crYIw
- Is there a petition somewhere to get @aplusk to put an apostrophe in the word “Thats” in his Twitter bio?
- 22,646: The number of tweets at Ai Weiwei’s @aiww account since he joined up barely a year ago, on May 31, 2009.
- When it rains, the Civic Center Falun Gong morning exercisers take shelter under eve of Bill Graham Auditorium, amplifying their tinny radio
- 6: The number of languages I heard on the way to work.
- Any recommendations for free cloud database challengers to http://flexlists.com/? Plenty of free text/spreadsheet/image editors, but db?
- Today’s mail: very tiny Sanyo audio recorder & copy of Steve Goodman’s book Sonic Warfare. Instructions for Sanyo are as long as the book.
- First a new Autechre, then a new Oval, then a 2nd new Oval. Now a 2nd new Autechre: http://autechre.ws
- If any single issue of a magazine this year has shown what a great print magazine can accomplish, it’s the David Choe issue of @juxtapoz_mag
- RIP, Martin Gardner (b. 1914), whose Scientific American & Asimov’s columns filled my teen years. Gotta pull Annotated Alice off the shelf.
- Some sounds from Lost that I’ll miss: smoke monster, Geronimo Jackson, Dharma-bunker alarm, Dharma-bunker clock-rewind, opening theme/drone.
- Excited the San Francisco Symphony is performing Feldman’s Rothko Chapel in 2011. In related new, I’m going to see Red on Broadway soon.
- The bacon beignets @francessf are like American takoyaki.
- Just learned from ‘It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time’ by Moira Hodgson that John Cage’s favorite whisky was Laphroaig. Good man.
- Just saw my first iPad “in the wild.” I guess the early-adopter shyness is over. Evos everywhere, thanks to the Google I/O giveaway.
5 Most Recent Comments
Jose: "Marc, holy smokes. I just realized you did a write up on this. My deepest and most sincere gratitudes and..."
jimmy kipple sound: "but but but what was the song? "
Mia Zabelka: "Thank you for the review. Thank you for the review! "
Rutger Zuydervelt: "Hi. Thanks for the review. Just a small thing, but memo’s piece is called..."
Aniket Roy: "Really very thoughtful. Sounds fun and worth a try at least. "
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0296 / Clustered Primes / Make music inspired by a prime-number query initiated by novelist Robin Sloan. • 0295 / Disregard Echoes / Make music inspired by a haiku, reflecting on Australian history. • 0294 / Offline Status / Pay tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil by turning his spoken words into music. • 0293 / Emerge/Immerse / Make music for Paige Dansinger's Palmyra 3D/VR images, paying tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil. • 0292 / Eclipse Music / In coordination with St. Louis Art Hack Day, make some solar-inspired tunes.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice