- Not entirely surprised that in @songbirdteam the LyricMaster display pane doesn’t pull up the words to “u_07” off Alva Noto’s album Unitxt.
- Morning sounds: two tinkling hard drives in living room (netbook, TiVo) sound like small backyard birds; car idling a block away.
- 27: number of downloads left in my emusic account; wondering what to snag
- Not sure why Twitter Tools (for WordPress) consistently fails to post weekly set to Disquiet.com, which has current builds for plugin & WP.
- RIP, Dennis Hopper (b. 1936). Pulling out the miracle score he and Jack Nitzsche wrangled for The Hot Spot: Miles Davis vs. John Lee Hooker.
- Synchronic sonic diptych while working on the yard: a block or two over kids sing “It’s a Small World” while sirens roar by in the distance.
- 5.02: home DSL in Mb/s now that AT&T has fixed the trouble on the line
- 2.91: home DSL in Mb/s before AT&T figured out there’s trouble on the line
- Glad to hear SF’s Robotspeak gets to stay in its Lower Haight location, despite a radical change in business plan.
- 3: The number of devices currently on my person that can record sound.
- 85: combined number of tracks on the next two Oval releases (titled, respectively, Oh and O)
- â™ª Afternoon listening: industrial ambience from @pulsewidth http://is.gd/ctoUm
- Only music on the bus is the headphone leakage from a guy listening to mariachi tunes. The result sounds like a kalimba made of tinsel.
- Helped a friend build a blog, using wordpress.com. It’s about (written, but not drawn) fiction about superheroes: http://superheronovels.com
- Pulled up @evernote in @firefox and half expected a recent thought of mine to simply appear as a new document. Perhaps a future feature.
- 22: The (current) rank of the word “listening” among the top 100 terms used in people’s first @twitter posts: http://is.gd/crYIw
- Is there a petition somewhere to get @aplusk to put an apostrophe in the word “Thats” in his Twitter bio?
- 22,646: The number of tweets at Ai Weiwei’s @aiww account since he joined up barely a year ago, on May 31, 2009.
- When it rains, the Civic Center Falun Gong morning exercisers take shelter under eve of Bill Graham Auditorium, amplifying their tinny radio
- 6: The number of languages I heard on the way to work.
- Any recommendations for free cloud database challengers to http://flexlists.com/? Plenty of free text/spreadsheet/image editors, but db?
- Today’s mail: very tiny Sanyo audio recorder & copy of Steve Goodman’s book Sonic Warfare. Instructions for Sanyo are as long as the book.
- First a new Autechre, then a new Oval, then a 2nd new Oval. Now a 2nd new Autechre: http://autechre.ws
- If any single issue of a magazine this year has shown what a great print magazine can accomplish, it’s the David Choe issue of @juxtapoz_mag
- RIP, Martin Gardner (b. 1914), whose Scientific American & Asimov’s columns filled my teen years. Gotta pull Annotated Alice off the shelf.
- Some sounds from Lost that I’ll miss: smoke monster, Geronimo Jackson, Dharma-bunker alarm, Dharma-bunker clock-rewind, opening theme/drone.
- Excited the San Francisco Symphony is performing Feldman’s Rothko Chapel in 2011. In related new, I’m going to see Red on Broadway soon.
- The bacon beignets @francessf are like American takoyaki.
- Just learned from ‘It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time’ by Moira Hodgson that John Cage’s favorite whisky was Laphroaig. Good man.
- Just saw my first iPad “in the wild.” I guess the early-adopter shyness is over. Evos everywhere, thanks to the Google I/O giveaway.
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• February 5, 2020: The first session of the 15-week course I teach at the Academy of Art about the role of sound in the media landscape.
• April 15, 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• December 13, 2020: This day marks the 24th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2021: This day marks the 9th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• At least two live group concerts by Disquiet Junto members in the San Francisco Bay Area are in the works for 2020.
• I have liner notes for a musician's solo album and an essay in a book about an art event due out. I'll announce as the release dates come into focus.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0465 / You Thank / The Assignment: Make a piece of music for someone or something for which you feel thankful.
• 0464 / Blanket Song / The Assignment: Play over a song, and then remove the original.
• 0463 / Making the Gradient / The Assignment: Make a piece of music inspired by the concept of a gradient.
• 0462 / Vade in Pace / The Assignment: Write a short piece of music that gets slower and slower as it proceeds.
• 0461 / Goldilocks Zone / The Assignment: Navigate a sonic space between the hospitable and the inhospitable.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 465 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments