- Plane passing close to midnight. Very glad to be on the ground. #
- Do all the great Neptunes productions follow the cadence of Sean Combs/Hitmen/LL Cool's "Phenomenon"? #
- RIP, Tony Peluso (b. ca. 1950) who went from Carpenters guitarist to Motown producer to Gustavo Santaolalla collaborator: http://is.gd/cUNmd #
- Once again astounded by how loud vacuum cleaner is. Easily the loudest object in this house, aside from potential inherent in stereo system. #
- Is there a web site that estimates how long before a device is released and Levenger needlessly wraps it in leather? #
- Enough helicopters circling in downtown SF to qualify as a flock. #
- Feel bad that when the From address in an email is in Cyrillic, I immediately assume it's spam. #
- As midnight approaches, nothing but a couple of hard drives — so much more quiet than morning. #
- The @dropbox iOS app, as of version 1.2, "Exports doc[s]…into third-party iPad apps." Sounds promising. #
- Realizing I still get MJ Cole and BJ Cole mixed up. #
- Thanks to Minty Lewis / @mintylewis for drawing my new Twitter background. More info at http://is.gd/cQeEl #
- Automatic Robert Ryman: construction-site tagging "removed" with large white painted-over rectangle. #
- Automatic Nam June Paik: two massive old RCA televisions stacked high, screens facing in against the street-corner garbage bin. #
- Automatic John Cage: rings of coffee cup stains on the back of my notebook. #
- Switching (temporarily) from ear-canal buds to standard, loose-fitting earbuds is (literally) an ear-opening experience. The bus is loud. #
- Fire up your boomboxes, San Franciscans. Unsilent Night”“style group soundscape event today at 7pm at Yerba Buena Gardens: http://is.gd/cNNA2 #
- It really isn't a meme until there's a dance remix. #
- Sad to learn the label Highpoint Lowlife is closing but excited for new graphic novel project by its founder, @sideb0ard — via @earslend #
- One of those mornings when the passing bus, rattling along singlemindedly, sounds like something from 100 or so years ago. #
- RIP, Norwegian composer Arne Nordheim (b, 1931): arnenordheim.com #
- Haul from @issuesshop in Oakland: new issues of Neural, Shook, & Music Works, plus How to Wreck a Nice Beach. #
- One nice thing about interviewing musicians is they generally know how to speak into a microphone properly. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Jose: "Marc, holy smokes. I just realized you did a write up on this. My deepest and most sincere gratitudes and..."
jimmy kipple sound: "but but but what was the song? "
Mia Zabelka: "Thank you for the review. Thank you for the review! "
Rutger Zuydervelt: "Hi. Thanks for the review. Just a small thing, but memo’s piece is called..."
Aniket Roy: "Really very thoughtful. Sounds fun and worth a try at least. "
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0296 / Clustered Primes / Make music inspired by a prime-number query initiated by novelist Robin Sloan. • 0295 / Disregard Echoes / Make music inspired by a haiku, reflecting on Australian history. • 0294 / Offline Status / Pay tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil by turning his spoken words into music. • 0293 / Emerge/Immerse / Make music for Paige Dansinger's Palmyra 3D/VR images, paying tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil. • 0292 / Eclipse Music / In coordination with St. Louis Art Hack Day, make some solar-inspired tunes.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice