- Few sounds combine the promise of comfort and the threat of bodily harm like that of a fast-moving ceiling fan in a small bedroom. #
- RIP, the Kinks' Pete Quaife (b. 1943) — no surprise the band's bassist was its peacemaker: http://is.gd/d4XPV #
- Trying to reconcile my deep affection for San Francisco's fog horns with the not unrelated phenomenon of multi-hour flight delays. #
- So, @ascap attacks @creativecommons in fundraising letter. It's like attacking the Quakers. Good discussion going at http://is.gd/d2SzC #
- iTunes challenges Microsoft's cumbersome bloatware: Hour into iOS 4 upgrade, 8gig Touch (gen 2) is 1/40th of way along status bar #cancel #
- On a good day, using @rjdj in the city can feel like being in an extended sequence from Michael Winterbottom's film Code 46. #
- Thank you, iTunes 184.108.40.206, for needlessly reorganizing all my iPod Touch apps into alphabetical order when upgrading yesterday evening. #
- The new @hootsuite (a Twitter-management tool) web interface is great: better use of screen-space plus theming. #
- Travel rule: don't install new software on laptop the night before a trip. #
- The album Les Chinoiseries by Onra makes the perfect background music to recent novel For the Win by @doctorow #
- Emerging from many continuous hours in the King Tubby & Co. channel at @grooveshark #
- That MC Escher time of the year in San Francisco, when the color of the daytime sky matches that of the street. #
- Drunk old man on the bus making much noise about preponderance of cellphones, in so many words. I think Roddy Piper played him in the movie. #
- Wandered outta Matmos/So Percussion show on early side, fascinated as always so many people pay for opportunity to talk through a concert. #
- The voiceover following today's noon test alarm in San Francisco sounded particularly placid, and thus all the more Orwellian. #
- While using @rjdj on iPod Touch on bus, didn't realize that some of the audio doubling was a child repeating the automated announcements. #
- City living means that a slight alteration in the sound of your neighbor's shower suggests that a new nozzle has been purchased. #
- Tonight: Matmos & So Percussion @rickshawstopsf — very much looking forward to this. #
- Disappointed iOS4 won't hook gen2 iPod Touch with Bluetooth keyboard. No luck on my G1 either. I could do equivalent 10 years ago on Palm. #
- RIP, loopers-delight.com founder Kim Flint, aka @kimatorium — via @zoecello & @kingnever #
- Dryer full, or assault-by-helicopter? #
- Today I'll listen to albums I permanently borrowed from my dad when I left for college, notably Ornette Coleman's Body Meta. #mydadsmusic #
- RT @mmaddencomics: RT @ubuweb: Cardew's score for 'Treatise' (1963-67): http://is.gd/cVl2h <- could have been in Abstract #Comics anthology #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• February 5, 2020: The first session of the 15-week course I teach at the Academy of Art about the role of sound in the media landscape.
• April 15, 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• December 13, 2020: This day marks the 24th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2021: This day marks the 9th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• At least two live group concerts by Disquiet Junto members in the San Francisco Bay Area are in the works for 2020.
• I have liner notes for a musician's solo album and an essay in a book about an art event due out. I'll announce as the release dates come into focus.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0456 / Line Up / The Assignment: Interpret a painting by Agnes Martin as if it were a graphic score.
• 0455 / Inner Invertebrate / The Assignment: What does a moment (or a day) in the life of a jellyfish sound like to a jellyfish?
• 0454 / Lsoo Vneg / The Assignment: Encode the name of someone you love into a piece of music.
• 0453 / Dial Up / The Assignment: Imagine the technologically mediated First Contact through sound.
• 0452 / Let's Scream / The Assignment: Get cathartic. Be resilient. Turn your scream into music.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 456 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments