- I'm interviewing Megan Kelso at noon today at #APE & I made a mini-comic of the Disquiet "Sketches of Sound" series http://ow.ly/i/4CLB #
- Morning sounds: cooing (baby), whirring (computers), stapling (stapler). #
- Best thing about a new Clint Eastwood movie (Hereafter)? New Clint Eastwood score. #
- [email protected]_Pause Cool Attenborough clip on tech-mimic lyre bird, especially because of incongruous preceding Medal of Honor ad http://j.mp/b2q8iM #
- There's a bird outside that sounds like tiny fireworks. #eartwit #
- 3 bucks for browser app with dual panes. The iOS business plan can seem like a micropayment economy for every single keystroke and gesture. #
- Squeaky bicycle passing by, or geese passing overhead? #eartwit #
- Downward-torquing score cue in tonite's "Electric Sheep" Fringe ep when Olivia learns senator-shapeshifter isn't dead was totally a Lost cue #
- Playing with soon-to-release upgrade of great music app; pondering how narrative of iterative change is part of app-consumption process. #
- If Win7's marketing plan made us think we made it, the Notion Ink Adam's is to make us think the 1st product is the 3rd or 4th gen already. #
- Great casual set of photos of Ava Mendoza performing live http://is.gd/g2pCC I still need to write about her strong new full-length record. #
- Anyone in San Francisco able to recommend a good turntable-repair shop? #
- ♫ Afternoon tune: a favorite from several weeks ago, the slow-day urban blues of Mike Rotondo's "Goodbye Mission Dub": http://is.gd/g2dTx #
- Baby's gurgles from the front of the house, birds squawking past in the back. #
- Morning sounds: bird song. Quite literally, as in concertedly singular. One bird, one song. #
- New Steve Reich remix contest is cool, but nothing against Bang on a Can, wish they'd used @eighthblackbird track instead http://j.mp/9h6Oxz #
- Susan Philipsz now the first sound artist nominated for Turner Prize: http://nyti.ms/bIhIG9 (Winner to be announced Dec 6.) #
- Wish people would stop saying T-Mobile G2 has "stock" Android 2.2. It doesn't. It may not have a corporate skin, but it lacks Froyo hotspot. #
- Really interesting this Nazi-reenacting-politician story takes place at the same time as this EA Medal of Honor war-play story. #
- ♫ Afternoon ambient stream: "binaural harbour recordings" + "contact mic stuck to…neck of a guitar" http://is.gd/g0TdX by @cjherbert #
- 407,380: The number of horns required to fell the walls of Jericho, according to @wnycradiolab http://is.gd/g0C7s #sonicwarfare #
- Freesound.org has passed the 100,000-sound milestone, in just over five years. #
- Composer Andrew Violette only really likes the second movement of 4'33"; "The others, he says, are too short": http://is.gd/g0u46 #
- New "European sound art network" now centered at http://resonancenetwork.wordpress.com/ and @resonancenet #
- [email protected] @dizzybanjo Partly think Underworld is 100% correct (excepting @justinlassen's point re: contests). Wish stems always available. in reply to tricil #
- Where does Underworld charging $3.99 for the stems in its "Bird 1" remix contest sit on the "prosumer" continuum? http://j.mp/bB10wT #
- Thanks to Megan Kelso for the kazoo background image at twitter.com/disquiet as part of "Sketches of Sound" series: http://j.mp/bA2gqL #
- If you haven't heard, Steve Reich's 2×5 (essentially two rock bands set in minimalist opposition) is available for remix: http://j.mp/9h6Oxz #
- Nearing midnite. Dishwasher, mid-cycle. Washing machine, end-cycle. Both past their prime & all the more endearingly rattly for it. #eartwit #
- [email protected] Yeah, that's what I'm getting at — for original tweets and retweets. #soundtwit is good. Maybe #eartwit — a little shorter. in reply to soundblog #
- So, @emusic signs up another big label, and raises prices again. Search still abysmal (e.g., can't combine keyword and genre in search). #
- Wanted: A sensible #hashtag for when re-tweeting descriptions of quotidian sound. #twittear #tweetscape #twittscape #twittaural #
- RT @heyexit Urban hum extra loud & spikey tonight. Some pretty serious lightning in the background. Thunder just hangs forever. #twittear #
- Reminder: I'll be interviewing Megan Kelso noon this Sat., 10/16, at #APE Her kazoo drawing will adorn my Twitter page starting tomorrow. #
- Matmos on Wobbly/Lesser collaboration, Simultaneous Quodlibet: "Privileging flows and dissolves over crowded rest stops": http://j.mp/bVJp3I #
- Morning listening: the new Corridors (aka Byron Westbrook) album on Sedimental. Liner notes require headphones or widely separated speakers. #
- Many thanks to Paul @apfrod for having submitted to my music-app interrogation regarding his wonderful ShapeSeq: http://j.mp/shpsq #
- Reply from @creativecommons regarding CBC dust-up about non-commercial licenses: http://j.mp/bNCxsh #
- Tom Phillips show (Flowers NYC: 10/7-30) includes '69 piece in style of his Starless & Bible Black (King Crimson) sleeve: http://j.mp/a9rKH2 #
- Every time I try a different step sequencer, I end up trying to make a fake Alva Noto track. Right now, that's in TweakyBeat (iOS). #
- Something oddly intimate when people's Kindle annotations pop up in Twitter — like they're on the can or in bed. #
- After Fleet Week ("after," he writes, hopefully), that jumbo jet in the sky looks and sounds absolutely lumbering. #
- “I miss the sound of the electric train.”Former army captain Vu Trong Thuan, 80, on the lost Hanoi: http://j.mp/dvKXOz #
- The city of Hanoi, Vietnam, celebrates its 1,000th anniversary today. (I really want to go back. It's been eight years.) http://is.gd/fV8rK #
- [email protected] "Major estate sale finds yesterday … three-LP set of train sounds"? Please post some of this. in reply to alexismadrigal #
- Ah, there was no cross-browser CSS issue with Chrome; it just needed to be refreshed. This is the start to a good day. #
- Fog horns especially maudlin this morning. They must be mourning Solomon Burke (RIP; b., 1940). #
- Wondering why the photo-caption CSS I devised looks lovely in Firefox, and not so in Chrome. Yet to look at it in Safari or IE9… #
- Looking into @cbc @creativecommons dustup. Interesting Sept 2009 CC doc about term "noncommercial" I'm now digging into: http://is.gd/fUhhT #
- Got new Wobbly/Lesser/Matmos LP from @aquariusrecords but it's too beautiful outside to stay inside and listen to vinyl. Even orange vinyl. #
- Oh to be in Milan, Italy, at the end of Oct: "Field Recording Workshop: 'Movement of acoustic images'" http://bit.ly/9Zra6S via @usoproject #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• December 28, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• July 28, 2021: This day marked the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0511 / Freeze Tag / The Assignment: Consider freezing (and thawing) as a metaphor for music production.
• 0510 / Cold Turkey / The Assignment: Record one last track with a piece of music equipment before passing it on.
• 0509 / The Long Detail / The Assignment: Create a piece of music with moments from a preexisting track.
• 0508 / Germane Shepard / The Assignment: Use the Shepard tone to create a piece of music.
• 0507 / In DD's Key of C / The Assignment: Make music with 10 acoustic instrument samples all in a shared key.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 511 consecutive weeks to date.