- The http://resonancefm.com/auction is like the back room at the end of the first Indiana Jones movie: Moore, Collins, Ra, Oswald. #
- Morning sounds: hard drive, baby kicks, shower, hail-like rain, ice crackling in coffee. #
- Tonight’s Fringe included Dave Brubeck’s “Take Five.” Tribute to Brubeck drummer Joe Morello, who died this week? #
- This morning, a small tornado a mile away, just off the coast. Now, serious thunder. Serious thunder in San Francisco. #
- Note in March 17 update to Bloom (Eno/Chilvers iOS ambient app): “Improved polyphony (although Bloom is at its best when it plays sparsely)” #
- â–º Nick Drake gets the super-slomo treatment: http://t.co/DZvjYWI Background: http://j.mp/gdAVGo #
- Ah, the guy (Paul Leonard-Morgan) who did the music for Limitless also did some stuff for the BBC series Spooks. #
- RT @preslav: slight typo in previous tweet – It’s Luke Munn, not Mumm…(@lukemunn). Great project” [Thanks! I reminisced about a bus.] #
- My fave site now: http://youarelistening.to/ (police scanners + music) by @idontlikewords reminiscent of @robinrimbaud via @notrobwalker #
- Readers’ sound-related recollections are turned into audio by artist Luke Mumm: http://www.soundingmemory.com/ #
- FM radio is clearly a conspiracy to diminish the public’s interest in music. #
- RIP, Tsutomu Katoh (b. 19??), who founded Korg: http://j.mp/f5nzr0 via #
- Dear News Professionals: The end result of a sports event is rarely if ever “breaking news.” #
- .@mkolmar stream v download 1. bitrate, fidelity, continuity (buffer empty) 2. fixed or ephemeral medium; published/withdrawn [trust is key] #
- Increasingly wondering if my preference for downloadable (versus streamable-only) music is more political/philosophical than practical. #
- Fairly certain the lyrics to the new Burial/Four Tet/Thom Yorke song, “Ego,” were lifted from an early R.E.M. song. #
- Great to see @carlstone & @pamelaz in concert last night: solo sets & for 1st time collaborating (mung bean”“inspired performance piece). #
- Hans Zimmer scores Crysis 2 http://bit.ly/efuh2o (via @nobuooo). Also: @iamclintmansell doing Mass Effect: 2011 = milestone game-music year. #
- For the 12th monthly Sketches of Sound entry, thanks to Gustavo Alberto Garcia Vaca for this sine wave. More info: http://j.mp/fuqBjp #
- Disquiet.com Sketches of Sound series has run for 12 consecutive months, thanks @dylanhorrocks @wcraghead @mrbiggsdotcom @mintlewis & others #
- Thanks again to @LeelaOfNewYork for having drawn the Egyptian mizmar for my Twitter background this past month: http://j.mp/fzhLiu #
- .@artofplanning The essay I’d mentioned is “The Cathedral and the Bazaar,” collected in the book by that name by Eric S. Raymond. #
- RIP, West Coast rapper Nate Dogg (b. Nathaniel Hale, 1969). #
- I trust weather reports only slightly more than I do fortune cookies but http://weatherspark.com is great: historical context & nifty UI. #
- I try to start day writing, not with email, but glad I fell off wagon, because inbox held email from old friend from Tokyo, and she is OK. #
- Thanks @jesperjacobsen & @artofplanning & everyone else at my @Academy_of_Art talk (“Making Stuff Together Separately”) this afternoon. #
- Just my luck, I give an hour-long presentation to students — much focused on @soundcloud — and the site goes down. #
- RIP, pioneering audio engineer and psychedelic explorer Owsley “Bear” Stanley (b. 1935) http://ow.ly/4fihG #
- Yes, the Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco is absolutely chilling, coming just a few days after the Japanese quake and tsunami. #
- All proceeds from @thicketapp sales from 3/11-3/31 go to Japan quake relief: http://goo.gl/LAgNW #helpjapan via @joshue #
- I’m giving an @Academy_of_Art talk today. The title is “Making Stuff Together Separately.” #copyleft #netlabel #beatbattle #ux #ccmusic #
- .@iamnotpretendin I make some. I have an office fan I need to upload. Mostly though, I consider my written descriptions a kind of recording. #
- Morning sounds: desktop drive/fan (buzz), fridge (hum), passing bus (rumble). #
- Japan situation is first serious ongoing news story in memory when email alerts of @latimes have regularly arrived before those of @nytimes. #
- My favorite record store these days is @kickstarter #
- Details on #netlabel #tsunami #fundraiser http://internetlabelcompilation.blogspot.com/2011/03/call-to-netlabels-netmusicians-and.html#more #
- In honor of Joe Morello (RIP), four remixes of “Take Five”: http://t.co/6H9082h http://t.co/L9FpMpw http://t.co/dSlHgUC http://t.co/5zLNk0z #
- RIP, drummer Joe Morello (b. 1928), the pulse behind Dave Brubeck’s 5/4 classic, “Take Five.” http://j.mp/ffyEMl #
- Misread this news headline this morning: “Report Blasts Oakland PD Reform Effort.” Thought it was about Pure Data. #maxmsp #sleepy #
- RIP, Richard Campbell (b. 1956), founding member of viol group Fretwork http://t.co/UBT94OS #
- Name “Nagra” comes from Polish word “nagraÄ‡,” which means “to record” (or Polish phrase “nagra,” which means “will record”) via @timprebble #
- All profits from @12k_label online shop in March go to Japan Society’s Earthquake Relief Fund http://bit.ly/gqL2l2 @japansociety #
- Morning sounds: one fewer hard drives than usual. Soon to be rectified. #
- RT @xenijardin: Japan quake seismic data, “sonified” http://tinyurl.com/49jqoga [ Eerie, indeed. Compare to Kobe data: http://is.gd/hglYa ] #
- Sign of the times: the word “laptop” currently appears once on the entire homepage of the @engadget website. #
- Funny how my netbook hard drive expired two months past warranty and three days after iPad 2 launch. #
- .@dylanhorrocks You read Sakyo Komatsu’s The Sinking of Japan (aka Japan Sinks)? Very interesting, especially about planned diaspora. #
- “Misreading” was the English dept’s idea of “glitch” before Comp Sci took over as ruling repository of world-explaining theory & practice. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Ricardo Talaia: "Hi Marc, Very interesting podcast and selection… And great timeline comments about each..."
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0281 / Pattern Interruption / Create a pattern, loop it, and intersperse alterations. • 0280 / 20170514 / Celebrate the 70th birthday of a Junto member. • 0279 / Word Interiorities / Dissect the sonic properties of a single spoken word. • 0278 / MacConnel’s Jingle / Interpret a work of contemporary art as a graphically notated score. • 0277 / Chew Concrète / Make music inspired by C. Reider's Chew Cinders album procedures.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice