- The http://resonancefm.com/auction is like the back room at the end of the first Indiana Jones movie: Moore, Collins, Ra, Oswald. #
- Morning sounds: hard drive, baby kicks, shower, hail-like rain, ice crackling in coffee. #
- Tonight’s Fringe included Dave Brubeck’s “Take Five.” Tribute to Brubeck drummer Joe Morello, who died this week? #
- This morning, a small tornado a mile away, just off the coast. Now, serious thunder. Serious thunder in San Francisco. #
- Note in March 17 update to Bloom (Eno/Chilvers iOS ambient app): “Improved polyphony (although Bloom is at its best when it plays sparsely)” #
- â–º Nick Drake gets the super-slomo treatment: http://t.co/DZvjYWI Background: http://j.mp/gdAVGo #
- Ah, the guy (Paul Leonard-Morgan) who did the music for Limitless also did some stuff for the BBC series Spooks. #
- RT @preslav: slight typo in previous tweet – It’s Luke Munn, not Mumm…(@lukemunn). Great project” [Thanks! I reminisced about a bus.] #
- My fave site now: http://youarelistening.to/ (police scanners + music) by @idontlikewords reminiscent of @robinrimbaud via @notrobwalker #
- Readers’ sound-related recollections are turned into audio by artist Luke Mumm: http://www.soundingmemory.com/ #
- FM radio is clearly a conspiracy to diminish the public’s interest in music. #
- RIP, Tsutomu Katoh (b. 19??), who founded Korg: http://j.mp/f5nzr0 via #
- Dear News Professionals: The end result of a sports event is rarely if ever “breaking news.” #
- [email protected] stream v download 1. bitrate, fidelity, continuity (buffer empty) 2. fixed or ephemeral medium; published/withdrawn [trust is key] #
- Increasingly wondering if my preference for downloadable (versus streamable-only) music is more political/philosophical than practical. #
- Fairly certain the lyrics to the new Burial/Four Tet/Thom Yorke song, “Ego,” were lifted from an early R.E.M. song. #
- Great to see @carlstone & @pamelaz in concert last night: solo sets & for 1st time collaborating (mung bean”“inspired performance piece). #
- Hans Zimmer scores Crysis 2 http://bit.ly/efuh2o (via @nobuooo). Also: @iamclintmansell doing Mass Effect: 2011 = milestone game-music year. #
- For the 12th monthly Sketches of Sound entry, thanks to Gustavo Alberto Garcia Vaca for this sine wave. More info: http://j.mp/fuqBjp #
- Disquiet.com Sketches of Sound series has run for 12 consecutive months, thanks @dylanhorrocks @wcraghead @mrbiggsdotcom @mintlewis & others #
- Thanks again to @LeelaOfNewYork for having drawn the Egyptian mizmar for my Twitter background this past month: http://j.mp/fzhLiu #
- [email protected] The essay I’d mentioned is “The Cathedral and the Bazaar,” collected in the book by that name by Eric S. Raymond. #
- RIP, West Coast rapper Nate Dogg (b. Nathaniel Hale, 1969). #
- I trust weather reports only slightly more than I do fortune cookies but http://weatherspark.com is great: historical context & nifty UI. #
- I try to start day writing, not with email, but glad I fell off wagon, because inbox held email from old friend from Tokyo, and she is OK. #
- Thanks @jesperjacobsen & @artofplanning & everyone else at my @Academy_of_Art talk (“Making Stuff Together Separately”) this afternoon. #
- Just my luck, I give an hour-long presentation to students — much focused on @soundcloud — and the site goes down. #
- RIP, pioneering audio engineer and psychedelic explorer Owsley “Bear” Stanley (b. 1935) http://ow.ly/4fihG #
- Yes, the Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco is absolutely chilling, coming just a few days after the Japanese quake and tsunami. #
- All proceeds from @thicketapp sales from 3/11-3/31 go to Japan quake relief: http://goo.gl/LAgNW #helpjapan via @joshue #
- I’m giving an @Academy_of_Art talk today. The title is “Making Stuff Together Separately.” #copyleft #netlabel #beatbattle #ux #ccmusic #
- [email protected] I make some. I have an office fan I need to upload. Mostly though, I consider my written descriptions a kind of recording. #
- Morning sounds: desktop drive/fan (buzz), fridge (hum), passing bus (rumble). #
- Japan situation is first serious ongoing news story in memory when email alerts of @latimes have regularly arrived before those of @nytimes. #
- My favorite record store these days is @kickstarter #
- Details on #netlabel #tsunami #fundraiser http://internetlabelcompilation.blogspot.com/2011/03/call-to-netlabels-netmusicians-and.html#more #
- In honor of Joe Morello (RIP), four remixes of “Take Five”: http://t.co/6H9082h http://t.co/L9FpMpw http://t.co/dSlHgUC http://t.co/5zLNk0z #
- RIP, drummer Joe Morello (b. 1928), the pulse behind Dave Brubeck’s 5/4 classic, “Take Five.” http://j.mp/ffyEMl #
- Misread this news headline this morning: “Report Blasts Oakland PD Reform Effort.” Thought it was about Pure Data. #maxmsp #sleepy #
- RIP, Richard Campbell (b. 1956), founding member of viol group Fretwork http://t.co/UBT94OS #
- Name “Nagra” comes from Polish word “nagraÄ‡,” which means “to record” (or Polish phrase “nagra,” which means “will record”) via @timprebble #
- All profits from @12k_label online shop in March go to Japan Society’s Earthquake Relief Fund http://bit.ly/gqL2l2 @japansociety #
- Morning sounds: one fewer hard drives than usual. Soon to be rectified. #
- RT @xenijardin: Japan quake seismic data, “sonified” http://tinyurl.com/49jqoga [ Eerie, indeed. Compare to Kobe data: http://is.gd/hglYa ] #
- Sign of the times: the word “laptop” currently appears once on the entire homepage of the @engadget website. #
- Funny how my netbook hard drive expired two months past warranty and three days after iPad 2 launch. #
- [email protected] You read Sakyo Komatsu’s The Sinking of Japan (aka Japan Sinks)? Very interesting, especially about planned diaspora. #
- “Misreading” was the English dept’s idea of “glitch” before Comp Sci took over as ruling repository of world-explaining theory & practice. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 29, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0500 / Humming to Your Selves / The Assignment: Play a tune by yourself and as if by two people whom you invent.
• 0499 / Out of the Landscape / The Assignment: Record a piece of music in which a sound emerges from a field recording.
• 0498 / Sonic Entomologist / The Assignment: Create a new hybrid insect from the sound of two different insects.
• 0497 / Benjamin's Glass / The Assignment: Pay tribute to Benjamin Franklin and his armonica
• 0496 / Isolation Room / The Assignment: Create new music around one strand of something you made in the past.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 500 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod touch junto live-performance live performance mesostic modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments