- Chopin and Liszt, imagined as a newspaper comic strip: http://www.harkavagrant.com/history/chopinlisztsm.png by @beatonna #
- "@tobiasreber setting up a little generative system that will play quiet background music during dinner with friends." #futureofentertaining #
- Pretty much only interesting thing about Limitless is it apes Google Street View instead of, like other movies, Google Earth. #
- Yes, that was a mouse in the cafe. #
- Cannot get out of my head the swollen eyes of a person I saw at the Apple Store this week, clearly praying for rejuvenation of a hard drive. #
- Afternoon sounds at the library: neighbors' magazine pages piercing the drones and beats in my headphones. #
- Matt Ridley statement from Long Now session that has stuck with me the most: trade is 10 times as old as agriculture. #
- Funniest sentence at Matt Ridley session this past week at Long Now, from Stewart Brand: "Kevin Kelly just brought up his own question." #
- True gadget intimacy means knowing by heart where its headphone jack is located. #
- “@pauladaunt: Depeche Mode’s original lineup reunite for remix LP http://t.co/kxLDtqv” [Nice to see Monolake among the contributors.] #
- RT @NoFrisco @disquiet True but the native's aversion to this word is visceral and completely illogical, so probably can't be reasoned away. #
- Early evening of netlabel listening before heading out to @theunobserved festivities. (630 Treat Ave. in San Francisco, if you're around.) #
- As always, wishing the consensual ban on "Frisco" would be lifted, since "San Francisco" takes up so much space and "SF" is confusing. #
- Really enjoying the hyper-minimalist digital chamber music of my phone, desktop, and iPad signaling alerts slightly out of sync. #
- [email protected] Really good. I'd watch Bill Irwin mime the phone book. #goodwife #
- Mid-morning sounds: torrents, the wet kind, not the downloads. Fairly biblical outside. #
- The new media grass is always RGBer. Murdoch/Fox makes an app, and Google makes a book. http://thinkquarterly.co.uk/ #
- Griffin Dunne directs Bill Irwin and Alan Cumming. … Just business as usual, thanks to @goodwifewriters #
- So, apparently Battles has become Jane's Addiction: http://soundcloud.com/battles/ice-cream/s-DA1th #
- Wondering about extent of correlation between diminishing complaints regarding Starbucks and company's introduction of free wifi. #
- "The real metric of 'prosperity' is time." #longnow #
- An usher just referred to tonight's @longnow lecture as "the performance." #transparency #
- Headed to a Long Now talk. Been a while since I've attended one. #
- Dear News Professionals: the Google Books (non) settlement is bigger news than the sports scores you regularly email me as "breaking." #
- Figured how to view web page's source code in iPad, but can't seem to copy/paste. What to do? Take screenshot and send to @Evernote ICR? #
- Few things go with @inceptiontheapp like a solo trumpet busker on a busy city street corner. #
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco, mistaken for bus coming to very slow stop. #
- Morning sounds: ice in coffee, refrigerator, bus, heater, sweater sleeves against dining room table. #
- RT @bereninga: The tapping sounds of my keyboard is pretty neat through @inceptiontheapp #
- RIP, jazz/soul guitarist Melvin Sparks (b. 1946). http://j.mp/gFWFdw #
- Used to get my news from Doonesbury. Now, from XKCD. #
- Surfing the web without Flash can feel a bit like driving cross-country with a vegan. #
- RT @cobra_mike In restaurant and my son asked us to "thumbs up" the song playing on the juke box. No understanding of a world before Pandora #
- Anyone having issues with @bandcamp embedded player breaking @WordPress site on iPad in Safari (and Atomic Web Browser)? #
- The irony of experimenting with using an iPad to update Disquiet.com is that most of the MP3 embed code I use isn't HTML5-ish. #
- [email protected] Yeah, and I entirely lack the vocabulary to describe my car sounds in car terms. Just netlabel noise-album terms. #
- Car transmission issue developed so slowly over six months, it only became evident recently. Now fixed, car suddenly insanely quiet. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Robert Gable: "Classical Pulse had slipped my mine. I remember at the time thinking that Robert Levine listened to a..."
Ian Joyce: "Thank you Marc for such a lovely and thoughtful review! "
Debashis Sinha: "Thanks so much for this Marc – spot on analysis. You nailed it exactly. "
Brian Biggs: "Fantastic. There’s a Rube Goldberg analogy hidden there in the electronics. "
djbaroki: "Thanks for ur post ,what is your opinion about this techno pack is it a good choice for minimal techno..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• January 2, 2018: This day marks the 6th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• February 7, 2018: Start of the semester for the course I teach on the role of sound in the media landscape at the Academy of Art in San Francisco.
• December 13, 2018: This day marked the 22nd anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
The Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects:
• 0324 / Factory Floor / Make music for newsrooms, design studios, and other collaborative workplaces.
• 0323 / Music for Meditation / Record a piece of music suited to meditation.
• 0322 / The Wanderer / Make a short piece of music that encourages the the mind's tendency to wander, based on research by Dr. Liila Taruffi, PhD, and her colleagues.
• 0321 / Let’s Active / Make a short piece of music that decreases the mind's tendency to wander, based on research by Dr. Liila Taruffi, PhD, and her colleagues.
• 0320 / Table of Contents / Make a composition containing loopable background-music segments for each chapter of one of your favorite books.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice