- Chopin and Liszt, imagined as a newspaper comic strip: http://www.harkavagrant.com/history/chopinlisztsm.png by @beatonna #
- "@tobiasreber setting up a little generative system that will play quiet background music during dinner with friends." #futureofentertaining #
- Pretty much only interesting thing about Limitless is it apes Google Street View instead of, like other movies, Google Earth. #
- Yes, that was a mouse in the cafe. #
- Cannot get out of my head the swollen eyes of a person I saw at the Apple Store this week, clearly praying for rejuvenation of a hard drive. #
- Afternoon sounds at the library: neighbors' magazine pages piercing the drones and beats in my headphones. #
- Matt Ridley statement from Long Now session that has stuck with me the most: trade is 10 times as old as agriculture. #
- Funniest sentence at Matt Ridley session this past week at Long Now, from Stewart Brand: "Kevin Kelly just brought up his own question." #
- True gadget intimacy means knowing by heart where its headphone jack is located. #
- “@pauladaunt: Depeche Mode’s original lineup reunite for remix LP http://t.co/kxLDtqv” [Nice to see Monolake among the contributors.] #
- RT @NoFrisco @disquiet True but the native's aversion to this word is visceral and completely illogical, so probably can't be reasoned away. #
- Early evening of netlabel listening before heading out to @theunobserved festivities. (630 Treat Ave. in San Francisco, if you're around.) #
- As always, wishing the consensual ban on "Frisco" would be lifted, since "San Francisco" takes up so much space and "SF" is confusing. #
- Really enjoying the hyper-minimalist digital chamber music of my phone, desktop, and iPad signaling alerts slightly out of sync. #
- [email protected] Really good. I'd watch Bill Irwin mime the phone book. #goodwife #
- Mid-morning sounds: torrents, the wet kind, not the downloads. Fairly biblical outside. #
- The new media grass is always RGBer. Murdoch/Fox makes an app, and Google makes a book. http://thinkquarterly.co.uk/ #
- Griffin Dunne directs Bill Irwin and Alan Cumming. … Just business as usual, thanks to @goodwifewriters #
- So, apparently Battles has become Jane's Addiction: http://soundcloud.com/battles/ice-cream/s-DA1th #
- Wondering about extent of correlation between diminishing complaints regarding Starbucks and company's introduction of free wifi. #
- "The real metric of 'prosperity' is time." #longnow #
- An usher just referred to tonight's @longnow lecture as "the performance." #transparency #
- Headed to a Long Now talk. Been a while since I've attended one. #
- Dear News Professionals: the Google Books (non) settlement is bigger news than the sports scores you regularly email me as "breaking." #
- Figured how to view web page's source code in iPad, but can't seem to copy/paste. What to do? Take screenshot and send to @Evernote ICR? #
- Few things go with @inceptiontheapp like a solo trumpet busker on a busy city street corner. #
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco, mistaken for bus coming to very slow stop. #
- Morning sounds: ice in coffee, refrigerator, bus, heater, sweater sleeves against dining room table. #
- RT @bereninga: The tapping sounds of my keyboard is pretty neat through @inceptiontheapp #
- RIP, jazz/soul guitarist Melvin Sparks (b. 1946). http://j.mp/gFWFdw #
- Used to get my news from Doonesbury. Now, from XKCD. #
- Surfing the web without Flash can feel a bit like driving cross-country with a vegan. #
- RT @cobra_mike In restaurant and my son asked us to "thumbs up" the song playing on the juke box. No understanding of a world before Pandora #
- Anyone having issues with @bandcamp embedded player breaking @WordPress site on iPad in Safari (and Atomic Web Browser)? #
- The irony of experimenting with using an iPad to update Disquiet.com is that most of the MP3 embed code I use isn't HTML5-ish. #
- [email protected] Yeah, and I entirely lack the vocabulary to describe my car sounds in car terms. Just netlabel noise-album terms. #
- Car transmission issue developed so slowly over six months, it only became evident recently. Now fixed, car suddenly insanely quiet. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• December 28, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• July 28, 2021: This day marked the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0517 / Inside Out (Co/Exist 2 of 3) / The Assignment: Record a minute or two of civilization.
• 0516 / Outside In (Co/Exist 1 of 3) / The Assignment: Record a minute or two of nature.
• 0515 / Talking Cure / The Assignment: Write music for a psychotherapist's waiting room.
• 0514 / Chord Channels / The Assignment: Take two chords and connect them over time.
• 0513 / Ghost OST / The Assignment: Play that spooky music.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 517 consecutive weeks to date.
- Disquiet.com 25th Anniversary Countdown (7 of 13): Home Decorating in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction
- Rewinding 2021 in The Wire
- Buddha Machine Variations No. 40 (MBP BMV VCV)
- Disquiet.com 25th Anniversary Countdown (6 of 13): Laraaji in 2015
- Disquiet.com 25th Anniversary Countdown (5 of 13): Our Lives in the Bush of Disquiet