- RIP, Swiss artist David Weiss (b.1946) of Fischli/Weiss: Rube Goldberg-ish video The Way Things Go (Der Lauf der Dinge) http://t.co/05DZynwH #
- RIP, Joe Muranyi (b. 1928), latter-day Dixieland clarinetist in Louis Armstrong’s band: http://t.co/5xUFnQiN, http://t.co/KrGmazuP #
- 17th Disquiet Junto project already has 2 new 1st-time participants: Biel, Switzerland’s @tobiasreber & NYC’s @clownfacee. #
- Somehow got a http://t.co/ygIzHsQ1 MBAir cover at Apple store in @soundcloud orange/grey today even though they’re not on the @acmemade site #
- Note from daycare today says my kid has started a band with two other kids. My kid turns 20 months on Monday. #
- The telltale pocket-fabric swish with which begins the semi-surreptitiously recorded bootleg of a lecture. #
- Anyone have any experience with the mailing-list services of http://t.co/abAJFrlp or http://t.co/2oFj6v4s? #
- Read my first Kindle Single: Jonathan Biss’ Beethoven’s Shadow. Pondering his informed critique of the shadow cast by recording equipment. #
- Wonderful! RT @tobiasreber: posted my 1st disquiet #junto contribution on soundcloud. glad I could finally participate http://t.co/0d6EsmUR #
- Downtown San Francisco is like a busker convention today. #
- Coldplay’s “Trouble” is Pink Floyd fan fiction. #
- Kickstart that! RT @mutagene: @disquiet we need noise canceling headphones that exploit shazam-like service to identify/suppress ambient pop #
- Familiarity even more than volume can make a song on a cafe’s in-house stereo soil the intended solitude of your headphones. #
- Disquiet Junto project 17: record the world around you; make a seamless transition to an existing song http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9 #
- Instructions for the 17th Disquiet Junto project going out shortly to the email list and to the @SoundCloud group page. #
- Odd thing about Chicago’s elevated trains was hearing things like “now boarding” from blocks away without tracks or train in sight. #
- Jonathan Lethem name-checks Pete Fornatale, who died today, two pages into his Fear of Music book as an emblem of ephemeral pre-Google audio #
- RIP, DJ and rock chronicler Pete Fornatale (b. 1945). via @stevesilberman #
- Reworking my hotel static: RT @jmmy_kppl: Free Artificial Lawn Sample: AntiGravity Certification #4 [@disquiet’s radio] http://t.co/xdOxEvG4 #
- The compositional theme for this week’s Disquiet Junto will be “transition.” #
- About 24 hours until the next Disquiet Junto, Number 17. #
- No, my Google Drive isn’t on yet. #
- Can’t remember last time I heard the Modern Lovers’ “Roadrunner” on a radio. #
- The NEA’s underlying issue with games-as-art: games fall outside the art world’s financial model. Which is to games’ credit. #
- Speaking again with Markus Popp (aka Oval) tomorrow. If you have any questions, pass them my way. #
- I’d say more about the extent to which iOS’ UI fails to keep up with the rapid growth in apps, but I can’t remember which app has my notes. #
- The TV series Fringe is fan fiction about the weather patterns in San Francisco. #
- Thanks! RT @GuyBirkin: Discussion in @disquiet Junto is very healthy: 749 tracks, 340 comments. No other SoundCloud group has that ratio. #
- Talking Heads’ Fear of Music came out on my 13th birthday. I didn’t know it existed at the time. All I cared for was my TRS-80. #
- Talking Heads : Fear of Music, Remain in Light :: The Beatles : Rubber Soul, Revolver #
- Beginning to read Jonathan Lethem’s book on Talking Heads’ Fear of Music. #
- Wondering when/if a consumer-focused cloud price war will kick in, now that Google has finally unveiled its Drive structure. #
- When @soundcloud goes down, my site looks nekkid. #
- Many thanks to @sadlypanda for the videos of last week’s Disquiet Junto show in Chicago: http://t.co/LO1OyXWT #
- Week 16 of Disquiet Junto @soundcloud: 749 tracks, 170 contributors, 334 discussion items, 1 concert. Much more to come http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- MP3 of 4/19 Disquiet Junto Chicago concert now available http://t.co/jyku2XIx Context to be added on the Disquiet site tonight. #
- Painting at third-hand shop near my home. #415 http://t.co/IJOPC2Zo #
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco on a sunny day, straight out of a Roger Corman disaster film. #
- So great. RT @debcha: Dug @disquiet post on ‘classical’ button on hotel radio: http://t.co/YpZRmIWB Relevant Sesame St: http://t.co/HptQuHZM #
- Thanks again to @cdmblogs @verge for covering the Disquiet projects Junto, LX(RMX) and Instagr/am/bient this past week. #
- Waking at home. Sounds are familiar. More welcome is not being sonically sealed, customary in hotel construction, from the world. #
- Woke to 34 tracks in 16th Disquiet Junto http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 and great discussion about the nature of back/foreground http://t.co/WRFtIOta. #
- The in-house music at Chipotle Grill and Virgin America always has me expecting a KCRW station ID break. #
- OK, Bluetooth novelty time is over. Would someone please make a simple, portable hardwired keyboard for tablets? #
- Back in San Francisco. #home #
- Our Virgin America plane from ORD to SFO is named Unicorn Chaser. #peaknerd #
- Got word the Chicago Disquiet Junto recordings are all cleaned up. I’ll have data today. Flying home to SF, and will upload soon as I can. #
- Indeed. Thanks, @jeffblagdon. RT @naotko: In case you missed, We’ve got theverge’d: http://t.co/Bvdkel51. #
- Welcome to Disquiet Junto first-timer @pasztor, from the UK: http://t.co/E5KZTWMV #
- Ooh, my typing in red. [email protected]: @salvagione Vessels A5 inked in Dutch Fireball @sfcb http://t.co/sig94eQE http://t.co/4cDxxNbH #
- The foliage in Chicago’s Millennium Park looks more like architectural-drawing foliage than anywhere else I have ever been. #
- Finally got to the Bean in Chicago’s Millennium Park. It’s like having Frank Quiteley draw your portrait. #
- Guy who posted video of Chicago Disquiet Junto show also posted Terence Davies, Barry Gifford, Keith Fullerton Whitman: http://t.co/i3tA04E6 #
- ”¦ And provided context to the static vis-Ã -vis Donald Moffit’s science-fiction novel The Jupiter Theft: http://t.co/SJcsT7Td. #
- The Internet means 78 people in 12 hours have listened to 18 seconds of radio static that I recorded: http://t.co/Yhdva67r. ”¦ #
- 10 shufflings of back/foreground so far in Disquiet Junto 16, including this one by (Chicagoan) 1st=timer StaticOceans: http://t.co/kKU2ACbN #
- Morning in Evanston hotel: airplane emerges from the droning of the HVAC. #
- Video of Jason (@cranksatori) Soliday with Michael Esposito from 4/19 Disquiet Junto show: http://t.co/ARcRzYTZ (expanded glass harmonica) #
- Video from Jason @cinchel Shanley’s performance at the 4/19 Disquiet Junto show: http://t.co/o8B5NAy8 (expanded glass harmonica) #
- From poem by Wes Tank read at the 4/19 Junto concert: “i’m inventing a month called ”˜revember’/where there’s reverb on every life sound” #
- The radio in my hotel room is leaking sounds from the future: http://t.co/YpZRmIWB #
- Olfactory art installation by @salvagione on 4/22 at Marin Headlands; @boondesign card features my essay. Details: http://t.co/wQpmTVem. #
- Honking outside my Evanston hotel at 9:20pm seems to be Morse code for some manner of sports victory. Or a wedding. #
- Videos of Vapor Lanes’ two pieces from 4/19 Disquiet Junto show at Enemy in Chicago: http://t.co/VeNVXZk5 http://t.co/iZQFkBsa #
- Excellent. RT @ethanhein: New track for junto — beats made from sandpaper, abstract percussion from rolling dice. http://t.co/bmkat17l #
- In our generative-music future, Record Store Day will be Fixed-Recording Day, MP3s included. #
- Parenting pro tip, toddler edition: get a hotel near a public library. #
- Sticker from Jeff Kolar’s Radius broadcast in Chicago. http://t.co/rgRftlU0 #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 28, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0494 / Insect Menagerie / The Assignment: Record a 20-second clip of the sounds of an insect that you yourself have invented.
• 0493 / AudioCorrect / The Assignment: Think about the utility and the useful failures inherent in autocorrect and apply this to your music.
• 0492 / Kintsugi Rework / The Assignment: Employ the Japanese technique of mending broken ceramics as a metaphor for remixing.
• 0491 / Footsteps Sequencer / The Assignment: Compose a piece of music structured upon a walk through your home.
• 0490 / In Conversation / The Assignment: Compose a piece of music structured like dialog.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 494 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod touch junto live-performance live performance mesostic modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments