- I wonder if my whole interest in drones has to do with the 13-year-old me wishing the opening notes of Yes’ Fragile would go on forever. #
- Incredible sonic moire outside Old Navy in downtown San Francisco between store-entrance stereo speakers and drumming busker. #
- PR email received for band whose picture, artfully, doesn’t show faces. No description of music, just links to streaming services. #
- I suspect @tinyletter may have held up the Disquiet Junto email because it had three embedded links. Spam red flag. #
- The Disquiet Junto email just seems to have been received, even though it was sent yesterday afternoon by @tinyletter. #odd #
- We email a lot with our neighbors. I don’t miss the continuous phone ringing that was the soundscape of my childhood. #
- Yojiro Imasaka’s inspiring photo of an alley: http://t.co/bLprwyAs. It’s the graphic score Disquiet Junto musicians interpret this week. #
- The gritty-spectral background photo, by Yojiro Imasaka, for my Twitter page serves as a graphic score in the new Disquiet Junto project. #
- Instructions for 19th Disquiet Junto are now live: http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9. Project due this Monday at 11:59pm, wherever you are. #
- “rojiura” is a Japanese word for alley #
- Disquiet Junto project #19 involving graphic notation, to go live (and out to email) momentarily. #
- Found Â¥10,700 in my (San Francisco) desk drawer, from my most recent (2009) Japan trip. Maybe Kinokuniya will let me pay for pens with it. #
- 19th Disquiet Junto project begins in a few hours. Join the 154 members of the announcement email list at http://t.co/f2aaVTe0 #
- Nicely put. RT @artofplanning: Commissioning, not interrupting. RT @disquiet: Rhythms of the yard by Diego Stocco:http://t.co/xLSFLESl. #
- RT @DETXL: Listening to v.90 modem negotiate connection is oddly soothing. (1998-me would beg to differ. Via ICQ, no doubt, if phone’s free) #
- Signed up to check out the “next” SoundCloud. Looking forward to checking it out. #
- Received the Japanese and Turkish translations of the instructions to this week’s Disquiet Junto project. #graphicnotation #
- #harmonica #graffiti #stencil #415 http://t.co/V3awi5YG #
- What I imagine Christian Marclay’s door looks like. (Actually a bathroom in the Haight.) http://t.co/2VqBX8gW #
- Background on graphic notation in advance of the next Disquiet Junto: http://t.co/gOohgvS5 + http://t.co/qTwGQPeK + http://t.co/wkbvGvcN #
- Classical/opera record labels really need to engage with @soundhound & @shazam to beef up their recognition software. #
- Having grown up with comics in the 1970s I’m darn happy about the Avengers’ success, but I was more of a Defenders/X-Men kid. #
- Mac OS X 10.7.4 update is 729.6 MB but won’t install because system tells me it needs 3.65 GB of space to download and install the update. #
- PR for group whose music alternates between “electronics” and “harmonies” — because, you know, there’s nothing harmonic about electronics. #
- My favorite music video game is the interactive spinning beach ball you get to play with when using iTunes. #
- The image accompanying this story about $87-million Rothko painting should accompany a New Yorker story by Don DeLillo: http://t.co/W2N3xN4E #
- Today: writing, call, call, conference call, sausage at Rosamunde Grill, writing #
- The netlabel proprietor & musician @leonrosado had his laptop stolen. Consider helping him buy a new one: http://t.co/sJHeRA8G in reply to leonrosado #
- Denver/Boulder Disquiet Junto concert in mid-August is gaining steam. Details as they come into focusÂ — to mix metaphors. #
- Writing a bit about manga — which is to say, about telenovelas and jazz. #
- Adding a little @touchmusic to the afternoon birds/bugs/wind/cars/foghorn mashup. #
- Afternoon sounds: seagulls and other birds, bees, foghorns, muted surf of automobile traffic, wind, breeze-blown bushes/trees. #
- Neglected backyard for first 20 months of our 20-month-old’s life. That’s now corrected. Backyard looks/smells/sounds great. Foghorns agree. #
- If you live in the Richmond District and work from home and are not working outside today, consider doing so. #415 #
- Dear @idontlikewords, Please combine automated text-to-voice reading of @TheAtlantic blog posts with field recordings of urban noise. #
- Looking for lead (Python) developer http://t.co/iUxEwKHP + part-time systems engineer: http://t.co/vWRuICiV #virtualoffice #competitivepay #
- Tuesday noon siren on clear day in San Francisco, multiple speakers echoing each other like some of Philip Jeck’s turntables. #
- Advance word(s) on this coming Thursday’s Disquiet Junto project (#19): alley / è·¯åœ°è£ / ã‚ã˜ã†ã‚‰ / rojiura. #
- It was only last week, I think, I’d read our child, now 20 months, a Sendak book for the first time: Night Kitchen. Dough airplanes FTW. #
- Planned on working to music but the foghorns are especially beautiful and mournful today, noble beasts who lost their leader. #
- Thursday’s Disquiet Junto, project No. 19, will ask participations to interpret a provided photograph as if it were a graphic notation score #
- Rhythms of the yard by Diego Stocco: http://t.co/xLSFLESl. A Burt’s Bees commission. (Mostly for @artofplanning @boondesign.) #
- Tears before bedtime. RIP, children’s book author Maurice Sendak (b. 1928): http://t.co/CP2kvAS5 #
- All you bleeding-edge types playing with Mountain Lion: does Desktop Spaces work rationally now, or is it still not ready for primetime? #
- It’d be nice if AirPlay mirroring in OS X Mountain Lion let you use the iPad (fluidly) as a second monitor. #
- Er, that was: if you would like to help translate Disquiet Junto projects into languages other than English, lemme know. #
- Instructions to Disquiet Junto 19 have gone to translators. Glad to be back on multi-lingual schedule. If want to help translate lemme know. #
- 37 Disquiet Junto pieces in response to project #18 with just a few hours until midnight: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- Jukebox at the Hemlock confirmed for me that South of Heaven is my favorite Slayer album. #
- Yeah, we’re talking about a possible Disquiet Junto concert in Denver/Boulder this August. #
- There’s lots of ways to draw a cloud, but the @amazon cloud silhouette looks a lot like the @soundcloud cloud backwards. #
- “Drone in G Major for Sinewaves, Wind and Bubblewrap”: http://t.co/fUsQmvrx #
- 33 entries so far in 18th Disquiet Junto, including a bunch by 1st-timers. Excellent, subtle background listening: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- Raisins and almond slivers are my new jam. #
- One of the next Disquiet Junto projects will be: graphic scores. Details TK. #
- Genius when song breaks for train to pass overhead. #ripmca RT @audiation: So good. So sad. RT @questlove: Style http://t.co/CXoOZIJD #
- Haven’t seen Avengers yet but am hopeful there’s evidence of Nick Fury not aging, which will let Samuel Jackson be both Fury & Enoch Root. #
- RT @TheValiska: This week’s Junto submissions are especially wonderful. The 3 parts in transition offer some really interesting compositions #
- Confused by numerous Mad Men / Chemical Brothers tweets, but looking forward to sorting it out when I watch the episode later this week. #
- “Noises are important. Noises can tell you everything.” —Sherlock Holmes, season 2, episode 1. #
- The Disquiet Junto just got its 800th track and 180th participant, all in 18 weeks: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- Today’s best sound gadget: turkey caller (wood, glass) in Berkeley hills. At least one wild turkey replied. #
- Welcome! RT @shredderghost: 1st track made for @disquiet group, Upwelling [disquiet0018 3×3]. Slow ambient tidal force. http://t.co/QQJOJttx #
- Of generic cloud syncs only Dropbox plays music from browser. Microsoft/Google/SugarSync > download. Box costs to sync. Amazon doesn’t sync. #
- Correction: Amazon’s cloud desktop app allows uploads, but doesn’t appear to do true sync. #
- Of major generic syncing clouds, only Dropbox & Amazon play music from browser. Microsoft/Google/SugarSync -> download. Box costs to sync. #
- RIP, classical violinist Zvi Zeitlin (b. 1922), modernist champion, Eastman Trio cofounder: http://t.co/TKk91Lhl #
- So glad you had the time. RT @ethanhein: New @disquiet Junto entry: Thelonious Monk meets Pac-Man meets Led Zeppelin. http://t.co/qyEBGP6P #
- Perfect opportunity to fiddle. RT @TheValiska: @disquiet Junto submission: http://t.co/8gME4K30 trying to figure out Izotope’s Iris synth #
- RIP, David Bowman (b. 1957), who wrote a lot for me in the mid-1990s:… #
- Parenting question: Does a pocket calculator count as screen time? #
- Associating a domain with Google Apps actually taking time to process. Not used to this. It’s like 1996, minus the fax sound. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 28, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0488 / Reverse Delay / Assignment: Do something you've been putting off.
• 0487 / Carillon Quotidian / Assignment: Turn a recurring sound from your life into music.
• 0486 / Earths Days / The Assignment: Celebrate Earth Day on or for another planet.
• 0485 / Strange Weather / The Assignment: Remix the pure sounds of Chris Kallmyer's traveling wind chimes to your own musical purposes.
• 0484 / A Movable Heart / The Assignment: Transplant the sounds of Chris Kallmyer's wind chimes to a new location.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 488 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments