- Six tracks so far of sonified @tpm polling data from the current presidential election: https://t.co/tlgQnqVn #
- RIP, Mel Stuart (b. 1928), director of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." #
- RIP Carl Davis (b.1934); his "Duke of Earl" was among the first songs to make me think "Someone's responsible for this beyond the musicians" #
- The @djunto weekly creative-restraint music project treats U.S. presidential-election polling data as graphic notation: http://t.co/NLsmU50p #
- Bourne Legacy score sure made the drive to Sacramento this morning from San Francisco feel more dramatic than it might have. #
- Headed to Sacramento tomorrow for the day. Anything I should check out, (sound) art-wise, while I'm there? #
- Evening sounds: distant cars, nearby clothes dryer, microwave. #
- Video of bee swarm in our backyard this afternoon: http://t.co/82UBs8M5 #
- Massive bee swarm in backyard (I live in San Francisco's Outer Richmond District). Just thousands upon thousands. They've since moved west. #
- The next Disquiet Junto project will focus on graphic scores and American politics. This should prove interesting. #
- RIP, "pioneer in radar and radio telescopes" Bernard Lovell (b. 1913), in whose honor Dr. Bernard Quatermass was named: http://t.co/xur6QPHJ #
- Sounds nearing midnight: refrigerator, occasional car. #
- RIP, Hollywood composer Marvin Hamlisch (b. 1944), whose last score was half the fun of Steven Soderbergh's The Informant! #
- 2 weeks from last night is the @djunto concert @thewalnutroom in Denver! More than a half dozen performances of work for expanded glass harp #
- Next @djunto project (#32) will focus on American politics and involve the concept of the graphic score. #
- Sign at Oakland Zoo. Thought it said "dancer" not "danger"; great IDM compilation album cover. http://t.co/HKp40itx #
- Back at the Oakland Zoo. Elephant chimes. http://t.co/mpaeleuQ #
- RIP, Jason Noble (Rachel's); here's something I wrote about them/him (and "indie classical") back in 1995: http://t.co/oMxpQsDB #
- Really would love for there to be another Boxhead Ensemble album. #
- Mystic fire alarm in the Presidio. http://t.co/RQXvuGTD #
- Interior design with vinyl, from Man Ray / Lee Miller exhibit at Legion of Honor in SF. http://t.co/EVyV4rfY #
- 10 tracks so far at http://t.co/cBXdemcX exploring @yokoono's incendiary 1955 Fluxus piece #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2022: This day marks the 26th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2023: This day marked the 11th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• April 16, 2022: I participated in an online "talk show" by The Big Conversation Space (Niki Korth and Clémence de Montgolfier).
• March 11, 2022: I hosted a panel discussion between Mark Fell, Rian Treanor and James Bradbury in San Francisco as part of the Algorithmic Art Assembly (aaassembly.org) at Gray Area (grayarea.org).
• December 28, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marked the 25th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0544 / Feedback Loop / The Assignment: Share music-in-progress for input from others.
• 0543 / Technique Check / The Assignment: Share a tip from your method toolbox.
• 0542 / 2600 Club / The Assignment: Make some phreaking music.
• 0541 / 10BPM Techno / The Assignment: Make some snail-paced beats.
• 0540 / 5ive 4our / The Assignment: Take back 5/4 for Jedi time masters Dave Brubeck and Paul Desmond.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 544 consecutive weeks to date.