- Another outdoor piano from the 16th Street project in Denver. This one truly embraces the outdoors. http://t.co/UvUeEOV7 #
- Andrew Bird & Kelly Hogan whistled during their sets at the Ogden last night. I imagined them performing the whistling sequence from 2312. #
- Great to meet up with C. Reider (@vuzhmusic) yesterday for first time after so many years of online communication. #
- MT @vuzhmusic: lunch w/ @disquiet, good conversation: thinking on how netlabels can derive benefits of communalism w/o pitfalls of tribalism #
- Catching Andrew Bird at the Ogden. #
- After you visit the Clyfford Still Museum, everything looks like a Clyfford Still painting. http://t.co/48C0sT6J #
- Posters for Sunday night’s Disquiet Junto concert here in Denver. Design by @boondesign. http://t.co/A7E8WrqD #
- Looking like we may have live streaming of the Denver @djunto concert on Sunday night. Of course, if you are in the area, please drop by. #
- The part in 2312 where they walk for a month and a half isn’t the best thing to read when your toddler is having trouble going to sleep. #
- Instructions now live for @djunto project #33 making music with a turntable but without vinyl: http://t.co/OJAjBdnu + http://t.co/XdREURGZ #
- Disquiet Junto project #33 which is about turntables, will be available in 6 languages: Czech, English, French, Japanese, Spanish, Turkish. #
- One of several hand-painted pianos left outside for general public use on 16th Street in Denver. http://t.co/ViKfAKHz #
- That was odd. Macbook Air fan topped 6000rpms, got hot. When it restarted, screen showed flashing globe for awhile. #
- Bless you. (Mac app mimics Windows’ “click to create new doc” command.) RT @philipc: @disquiet check out Neu: http://t.co/3Ptlo8Yh #
- The first piece in The Future Is Japanese (new Haikasoru/Viz science fiction short story collection) really made me well up. But I’m a sap. #
- At this stage in my Windows-to-Mac journey the primary thing I miss is the ability to right click and make a blank document in a folder. #
- RIP, science fiction legend Harry Harrison (b. 1925), father of Stainless Steel Rat and man who imagined Soylent Green. #
- Wreck-It Ralph suggests Ready Player One is more film-able than I’d imagined. #retromania #
- Settling into hotel in Denver, getting used to space-station HVAC that melds nicely with my sleeping 23-month-old’s breathing. #
- Major thanks to @csindependent for covering the Aug 19 @djunto Denver concert: http://t.co/URSl3p1c #
- Major thanks to @csindependent for covering the Aug 19 @djunto concert:… #
- Good times. RT @jmmy_kppl: WE PROUD ON CONCEPTUAL FORTITUDE: http://t.co/QCSw1Ck6 #AGED #GREEN #JUNCTION #BOX #HASHTAG [thx again @disquiet] #
- RIP, Brent Grulke, longtime creative director of SXSW. #
- Getting very excited about this Denver trip and concert. Some projects to complete before flying out, but getting close. #
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco, filtered through Tenderloin taqueria’s jukebox. #
- This coming Sunday’s (Aug 19) live Disquiet Junto show (augmented glass harp music) in Denver will be recorded + posted online. #
- Twilight fans lining up to see a movie based on a Don DeLillo novel to commune with their wronged hero is right out of a Don DeLillo novel. #
- Am coming around to Kim Stanley Robinson’s 2312. He’s one smart, super-informed, wonder-seeking storyteller. #
- 20 tracks so far in the @djunto project to sonify election data (sourced from @tpm):… #
- Servicing being done to our gravity furnace this morning. The house is alive with the sound of rattling. #
- Got my season pass to this year’s @sfemf. William Basinski is among the performers. #
- My experience of Outside Lands: hearing music muffled by distance and traffic (I live nearby) plus Twitter and Instagram. #
- Paper towel dispenser at our weekend rental made foghorn sound. http://t.co/H49JB5WF #
- Rattlesnake grass up in Bodega Bay. Nature’s wind-powered maracas. http://t.co/ITkp2lKh #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 28, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0489 / The Prestige / The Assignment: Apply some magic to ABA form.
• 0488 / Reverse Delay / The Assignment: Do something you've been putting off.
• 0487 / Carillon Quotidian / The Assignment: Turn a recurring sound from your life into music.
• 0486 / Earths Days / The Assignment: Celebrate Earth Day on or for another planet.
• 0485 / Strange Weather / The Assignment: Remix the pure sounds of Chris Kallmyer's traveling wind chimes to your own musical purposes.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 489 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments