- Another outdoor piano from the 16th Street project in Denver. This one truly embraces the outdoors. http://t.co/UvUeEOV7 #
- Andrew Bird & Kelly Hogan whistled during their sets at the Ogden last night. I imagined them performing the whistling sequence from 2312. #
- Great to meet up with C. Reider (@vuzhmusic) yesterday for first time after so many years of online communication. #
- MT @vuzhmusic: lunch w/ @disquiet, good conversation: thinking on how netlabels can derive benefits of communalism w/o pitfalls of tribalism #
- Catching Andrew Bird at the Ogden. #
- After you visit the Clyfford Still Museum, everything looks like a Clyfford Still painting. http://t.co/48C0sT6J #
- Posters for Sunday night’s Disquiet Junto concert here in Denver. Design by @boondesign. http://t.co/A7E8WrqD #
- Looking like we may have live streaming of the Denver @djunto concert on Sunday night. Of course, if you are in the area, please drop by. #
- The part in 2312 where they walk for a month and a half isn’t the best thing to read when your toddler is having trouble going to sleep. #
- Instructions now live for @djunto project #33 making music with a turntable but without vinyl: http://t.co/OJAjBdnu + http://t.co/XdREURGZ #
- Disquiet Junto project #33 which is about turntables, will be available in 6 languages: Czech, English, French, Japanese, Spanish, Turkish. #
- One of several hand-painted pianos left outside for general public use on 16th Street in Denver. http://t.co/ViKfAKHz #
- That was odd. Macbook Air fan topped 6000rpms, got hot. When it restarted, screen showed flashing globe for awhile. #
- Bless you. (Mac app mimics Windows’ “click to create new doc” command.) RT @philipc: @disquiet check out Neu: http://t.co/3Ptlo8Yh #
- The first piece in The Future Is Japanese (new Haikasoru/Viz science fiction short story collection) really made me well up. But I’m a sap. #
- At this stage in my Windows-to-Mac journey the primary thing I miss is the ability to right click and make a blank document in a folder. #
- RIP, science fiction legend Harry Harrison (b. 1925), father of Stainless Steel Rat and man who imagined Soylent Green. #
- Wreck-It Ralph suggests Ready Player One is more film-able than I’d imagined. #retromania #
- Settling into hotel in Denver, getting used to space-station HVAC that melds nicely with my sleeping 23-month-old’s breathing. #
- Major thanks to @csindependent for covering the Aug 19 @djunto Denver concert: http://t.co/URSl3p1c #
- Major thanks to @csindependent for covering the Aug 19 @djunto concert:… #
- Good times. RT @jmmy_kppl: WE PROUD ON CONCEPTUAL FORTITUDE: http://t.co/QCSw1Ck6 #AGED #GREEN #JUNCTION #BOX #HASHTAG [thx again @disquiet] #
- RIP, Brent Grulke, longtime creative director of SXSW. #
- Getting very excited about this Denver trip and concert. Some projects to complete before flying out, but getting close. #
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco, filtered through Tenderloin taqueria’s jukebox. #
- This coming Sunday’s (Aug 19) live Disquiet Junto show (augmented glass harp music) in Denver will be recorded + posted online. #
- Twilight fans lining up to see a movie based on a Don DeLillo novel to commune with their wronged hero is right out of a Don DeLillo novel. #
- Am coming around to Kim Stanley Robinson’s 2312. He’s one smart, super-informed, wonder-seeking storyteller. #
- 20 tracks so far in the @djunto project to sonify election data (sourced from @tpm):… #
- Servicing being done to our gravity furnace this morning. The house is alive with the sound of rattling. #
- Got my season pass to this year’s @sfemf. William Basinski is among the performers. #
- My experience of Outside Lands: hearing music muffled by distance and traffic (I live nearby) plus Twitter and Instagram. #
- Paper towel dispenser at our weekend rental made foghorn sound. http://t.co/H49JB5WF #
- Rattlesnake grass up in Bodega Bay. Nature’s wind-powered maracas. http://t.co/ITkp2lKh #
5 Most Recent Comments
Ricardo Talaia: "Hi Marc, Very interesting podcast and selection… And great timeline comments about each..."
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0281 / Pattern Interruption / Create a pattern, loop it, and intersperse alterations. • 0280 / 20170514 / Celebrate the 70th birthday of a Junto member. • 0279 / Word Interiorities / Dissect the sonic properties of a single spoken word. • 0278 / MacConnel’s Jingle / Interpret a work of contemporary art as a graphically notated score. • 0277 / Chew Concrète / Make music inspired by C. Reider's Chew Cinders album procedures.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice