- Another outdoor piano from the 16th Street project in Denver. This one truly embraces the outdoors. http://t.co/UvUeEOV7 #
- Andrew Bird & Kelly Hogan whistled during their sets at the Ogden last night. I imagined them performing the whistling sequence from 2312. #
- Great to meet up with C. Reider (@vuzhmusic) yesterday for first time after so many years of online communication. #
- MT @vuzhmusic: lunch w/ @disquiet, good conversation: thinking on how netlabels can derive benefits of communalism w/o pitfalls of tribalism #
- Catching Andrew Bird at the Ogden. #
- After you visit the Clyfford Still Museum, everything looks like a Clyfford Still painting. http://t.co/48C0sT6J #
- Posters for Sunday night’s Disquiet Junto concert here in Denver. Design by @boondesign. http://t.co/A7E8WrqD #
- Looking like we may have live streaming of the Denver @djunto concert on Sunday night. Of course, if you are in the area, please drop by. #
- The part in 2312 where they walk for a month and a half isn’t the best thing to read when your toddler is having trouble going to sleep. #
- Instructions now live for @djunto project #33 making music with a turntable but without vinyl: http://t.co/OJAjBdnu + http://t.co/XdREURGZ #
- Disquiet Junto project #33 which is about turntables, will be available in 6 languages: Czech, English, French, Japanese, Spanish, Turkish. #
- One of several hand-painted pianos left outside for general public use on 16th Street in Denver. http://t.co/ViKfAKHz #
- That was odd. Macbook Air fan topped 6000rpms, got hot. When it restarted, screen showed flashing globe for awhile. #
- Bless you. (Mac app mimics Windows’ “click to create new doc” command.) RT @philipc: @disquiet check out Neu: http://t.co/3Ptlo8Yh #
- The first piece in The Future Is Japanese (new Haikasoru/Viz science fiction short story collection) really made me well up. But I’m a sap. #
- At this stage in my Windows-to-Mac journey the primary thing I miss is the ability to right click and make a blank document in a folder. #
- RIP, science fiction legend Harry Harrison (b. 1925), father of Stainless Steel Rat and man who imagined Soylent Green. #
- Wreck-It Ralph suggests Ready Player One is more film-able than I’d imagined. #retromania #
- Settling into hotel in Denver, getting used to space-station HVAC that melds nicely with my sleeping 23-month-old’s breathing. #
- Major thanks to @csindependent for covering the Aug 19 @djunto Denver concert: http://t.co/URSl3p1c #
- Major thanks to @csindependent for covering the Aug 19 @djunto concert:… #
- Good times. RT @jmmy_kppl: WE PROUD ON CONCEPTUAL FORTITUDE: http://t.co/QCSw1Ck6 #AGED #GREEN #JUNCTION #BOX #HASHTAG [thx again @disquiet] #
- RIP, Brent Grulke, longtime creative director of SXSW. #
- Getting very excited about this Denver trip and concert. Some projects to complete before flying out, but getting close. #
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco, filtered through Tenderloin taqueria’s jukebox. #
- This coming Sunday’s (Aug 19) live Disquiet Junto show (augmented glass harp music) in Denver will be recorded + posted online. #
- Twilight fans lining up to see a movie based on a Don DeLillo novel to commune with their wronged hero is right out of a Don DeLillo novel. #
- Am coming around to Kim Stanley Robinson’s 2312. He’s one smart, super-informed, wonder-seeking storyteller. #
- 20 tracks so far in the @djunto project to sonify election data (sourced from @tpm):… #
- Servicing being done to our gravity furnace this morning. The house is alive with the sound of rattling. #
- Got my season pass to this year’s @sfemf. William Basinski is among the performers. #
- My experience of Outside Lands: hearing music muffled by distance and traffic (I live nearby) plus Twitter and Instagram. #
- Paper towel dispenser at our weekend rental made foghorn sound. http://t.co/H49JB5WF #
- Rattlesnake grass up in Bodega Bay. Nature’s wind-powered maracas. http://t.co/ITkp2lKh #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2022: This day marks the 26th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2023: This day marked the 11th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• April 16, 2022: I participated in an online "talk show" by The Big Conversation Space (Niki Korth and Clémence de Montgolfier).
• March 11, 2022: I hosted a panel discussion between Mark Fell, Rian Treanor and James Bradbury in San Francisco as part of the Algorithmic Art Assembly (aaassembly.org) at Gray Area (grayarea.org).
• December 28, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marked the 25th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0541 / 10BPM Techno / The Assignment: Make some snail-paced beats.
• 0540 / 5ive 4our / The Assignment: Take back 5/4 for Jedi time masters Dave Brubeck and Paul Desmond.
• 0539 / Control Breath / The Assignment: Let your slow breathing guide a piece of music.
• 0538 / Guided Decompression / The Assignment: Get someone from tense to chill.
• 0537 / Penitent Honk / The Assignment: Do sound design for "a missing gesture" of vehicular life.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 541 consecutive weeks to date.