- Is this Doctorow/Gaiman/Link/etc. Humble Bundle the first time Linux users are paying a higher average than Mac/PC? http://t.co/KPx4aWIS #
- Obituary for late pirate radio figure Paddy Roy Bates (b. 1921): http://t.co/790KuSX1 #
- Reportedly deceased: radio pirate Paddy Roy Bates (b. 1921), founder of the Principality of Sealand. #
- Because nothing says "electric" like an unintended receptacle for pine needles: http://t.co/p8nzOjRg #
- Tomorrow in "sound" class, "product design": implicit v explicit, product v category, intended v unintended, Tati/Playtime, edible acoustics #
- The myth of the paperless office is the desk covered with screens. #
- Tom Marioni's Musical Instrument That Cannot Be Played (2003): http://t.co/FFMYHkp8 #
- Detail of grid of exposed cassette tapes that is Brian Caraway's Counter Force (2011): http://t.co/J8ENt34d #
- Somewhat confused that Philip Glass was born just 5 years after Glenn Gould. Then again, rock-era technology influenced both worldviews. #
- Man, last night's episode of Alphas opened with the Tuvan-throat-singing mutant. Good times. #
- "After 10 years we still hear the word 'robospeak' as people pass by our store. It's Robotspeak!" Happy birthday to an SF institution. #
- Over 20 tracks in latest @djunto, with hours to go. Each adds a single element to duet by composer Kenneth Kirschner: https://t.co/BLNzb1H4 #
- RIP, jazz saxophonist John Tchicai (b. 1936), whom I had the pleasure to get to know when we both lived in the Sacramento area. #
- The new rjdj.me site is live: "We don't do apps. We craft sonic experiences!" #
- Experimenting with using Notes instead of Stickes in OS X, so they'll sync across devices. Any way to adjust leading? #
- Information flows through this: http://t.co/ls95gfTu #
- Ah the music in Walter's head during interrogation in Fringe is same that haunts Juliette Binoche in Blue. Post update: http://t.co/0y67ulCh #
- Now 10 @djunto tracks that add a single element to pre-existing duet by composer Kenneth Kirschner for viola and piano: http://t.co/lSzme8ob #
- Today's schedule: type, type, type, read, type, Nick Lowe (3:35pm – 4:25pm), type type, jambalaya, type, watch, read. #
- RIP, Howard H. Scott (b. 1920), "of the team at Columbia Records that introduced the long-playing vinyl record in 1948" http://t.co/1m8u4WoE #
- The RjDj app is still in the iTunes app store. It won't be soon. Download while you can. Highly recommended. Details: http://t.co/JlEAGl9f #
- Despite appearances, use of "ambient" in steady decline since 1994, at least according to Google Ngram: http://t.co/GaSdVpdL #
- Use of word "disquiet" dipped for first six years after I purchased the .com domain name: http://t.co/DJj72HqJ #
- Fact that "clone wars" needs Wikipedia disambiguation page. Fact that I'm looking at it. Chart of "disambiguation" use: http://t.co/gzQ2n5Tb #
- New @disquiet Twitter background image is Oliver Munday poster for @apexart exhibit organized by @notrobwalker, sound by @djunto. #
- Beautiful first 5 @djunto entries. Each adds an element to a piano/viola duet by Kenneth Kirschner & Tawnya Popoff: https://t.co/djjhqiob #
- Using @googledrive with students in "sound" class I'm teaching; they save & share their semi-daily sound journals. Works well. #
- The serrated silhouette of the stealth bomber over San Francisco is particularly Minecraft on this blue-sky day. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Bob Perdue: "Delightful. I was Hal Alles’ officemate briefly at Bell Labs (Murray Hill, NJ) when he hired into..."
Ricardo Talaia: "Hi Marc, Very interesting podcast and selection… And great timeline comments about each..."
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0281 / Pattern Interruption / Create a pattern, loop it, and intersperse alterations. • 0280 / 20170514 / Celebrate the 70th birthday of a Junto member. • 0279 / Word Interiorities / Dissect the sonic properties of a single spoken word. • 0278 / MacConnel’s Jingle / Interpret a work of contemporary art as a graphically notated score. • 0277 / Chew Concrète / Make music inspired by C. Reider's Chew Cinders album procedures.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice