- Is this Doctorow/Gaiman/Link/etc. Humble Bundle the first time Linux users are paying a higher average than Mac/PC? http://t.co/KPx4aWIS #
- Obituary for late pirate radio figure Paddy Roy Bates (b. 1921): http://t.co/790KuSX1 #
- Reportedly deceased: radio pirate Paddy Roy Bates (b. 1921), founder of the Principality of Sealand. #
- Because nothing says "electric" like an unintended receptacle for pine needles: http://t.co/p8nzOjRg #
- Tomorrow in "sound" class, "product design": implicit v explicit, product v category, intended v unintended, Tati/Playtime, edible acoustics #
- The myth of the paperless office is the desk covered with screens. #
- Tom Marioni's Musical Instrument That Cannot Be Played (2003): http://t.co/FFMYHkp8 #
- Detail of grid of exposed cassette tapes that is Brian Caraway's Counter Force (2011): http://t.co/J8ENt34d #
- Somewhat confused that Philip Glass was born just 5 years after Glenn Gould. Then again, rock-era technology influenced both worldviews. #
- Man, last night's episode of Alphas opened with the Tuvan-throat-singing mutant. Good times. #
- "After 10 years we still hear the word 'robospeak' as people pass by our store. It's Robotspeak!" Happy birthday to an SF institution. #
- Over 20 tracks in latest @djunto, with hours to go. Each adds a single element to duet by composer Kenneth Kirschner: https://t.co/BLNzb1H4 #
- RIP, jazz saxophonist John Tchicai (b. 1936), whom I had the pleasure to get to know when we both lived in the Sacramento area. #
- The new rjdj.me site is live: "We don't do apps. We craft sonic experiences!" #
- Experimenting with using Notes instead of Stickes in OS X, so they'll sync across devices. Any way to adjust leading? #
- Information flows through this: http://t.co/ls95gfTu #
- Ah the music in Walter's head during interrogation in Fringe is same that haunts Juliette Binoche in Blue. Post update: http://t.co/0y67ulCh #
- Now 10 @djunto tracks that add a single element to pre-existing duet by composer Kenneth Kirschner for viola and piano: http://t.co/lSzme8ob #
- Today's schedule: type, type, type, read, type, Nick Lowe (3:35pm – 4:25pm), type type, jambalaya, type, watch, read. #
- RIP, Howard H. Scott (b. 1920), "of the team at Columbia Records that introduced the long-playing vinyl record in 1948" http://t.co/1m8u4WoE #
- The RjDj app is still in the iTunes app store. It won't be soon. Download while you can. Highly recommended. Details: http://t.co/JlEAGl9f #
- Despite appearances, use of "ambient" in steady decline since 1994, at least according to Google Ngram: http://t.co/GaSdVpdL #
- Use of word "disquiet" dipped for first six years after I purchased the .com domain name: http://t.co/DJj72HqJ #
- Fact that "clone wars" needs Wikipedia disambiguation page. Fact that I'm looking at it. Chart of "disambiguation" use: http://t.co/gzQ2n5Tb #
- New @disquiet Twitter background image is Oliver Munday poster for @apexart exhibit organized by @notrobwalker, sound by @djunto. #
- Beautiful first 5 @djunto entries. Each adds an element to a piano/viola duet by Kenneth Kirschner & Tawnya Popoff: https://t.co/djjhqiob #
- Using @googledrive with students in "sound" class I'm teaching; they save & share their semi-daily sound journals. Works well. #
- The serrated silhouette of the stealth bomber over San Francisco is particularly Minecraft on this blue-sky day. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• February 5, 2020: The first session of the 15-week course I teach at the Academy of Art about the role of sound in the media landscape.
• April 15, 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• December 13, 2020: This day marks the 24th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2021: This day marks the 9th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• At least two live group concerts by Disquiet Junto members in the San Francisco Bay Area are in the works for 2020.
• I have liner notes for a musician's solo album and an essay in a book about an art event due out. I'll announce as the release dates come into focus.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0456 / Line Up / The Assignment: Interpret a painting by Agnes Martin as if it were a graphic score.
• 0455 / Inner Invertebrate / The Assignment: What does a moment (or a day) in the life of a jellyfish sound like to a jellyfish?
• 0454 / Lsoo Vneg / The Assignment: Encode the name of someone you love into a piece of music.
• 0453 / Dial Up / The Assignment: Imagine the technologically mediated First Contact through sound.
• 0452 / Let's Scream / The Assignment: Get cathartic. Be resilient. Turn your scream into music.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 456 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments