- If you've got a Bandcamp "fan" (perhaps an unfortunate term) page, lemme know. I'm at /disquiet. Thanks. ->
- This week @djunto is composing musical scores for news articles. The first is for a @newscientist piece on earthworms: https://t.co/z8dc8vGz ->
- Uncomfortably fixated on the idea that Agent Coulson becomes Deathlok. ->
- It's pretty nifty that iDisplay works over USB. Now, can someone make them a less silly icon? Thanks. ->
- An hour-plus later realizes that he had "Ventolin (Salbutamol Mix)" on repeat. ->
- Found out about Aaron Swartz's suicide via RSS. Sadly fitting, fittingly sad. ->
- A score for @lessig's obituary for @aaronsw. Text here: http://t.co/TirNSM2l. Music here: https://t.co/8S35dnxg. Part of the 54th @djunto. ->
- At end of this long post is list of key apps I use on my Android phone, mostly widgets. If you have faves lemme know: http://t.co/XGyNTB1i ->
- Late evening sounds: two laptop keyboard being typed on intermittently, low level electric hum, occasional passing bus. ->
- RIP, Claude-Anne Lopez (b. 1920), unintentional Benjamin Franklin scholar: http://t.co/Skfg3BVQ. Cc @djunto ->
- "The article uses close to 700 words to say very little. How would I make a soundtrack?" Writing a score for the news: https://t.co/iQLaa69l ->
- I was invited to participate in @SoundCloud Heroes. As part of it, here's audio of me yapping about what I'm up to: https://t.co/mqGSlFAX ->
- Tuesday noon siren just as I was about to hit play on a BBC recording of a John Zorn concert. ->
- PS: Here's that BBC recording of the Zorn-at-60 concert: http://t.co/81gWDENS. ->
- Favorite thing about @piesaac's art-gallery text adventure is additional ".z" tacked onto the URL every time I "wait": https://t.co/NrPb518x ->
- RIP, Japanese filmmaker Nagisa Oshima (b. 1932) . MT @yukiyamasaki: Listening to Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence ( http://t.co/2md8msCW ) ->
- Print mag's out now, so here's a re-link to an article I wrote for my alumni mag about book about Cohen's "Hallelujah": http://t.co/bqT7hnC8 ->
- Major helicopter action in the Richmond District. ->
- The more paperless my office gets, the more screenerfull it gets. ->
- Morning video: live concert in Italy of John Cage's Variations VI, with birdsong, Cage's voice, and a colorful modular: http://t.co/fVbjHksN ->
- A Kickstarter for bicycle horn/light with extra attention to sound (an "undiscovered country," per the designer): http://t.co/Wfmab60A ->
- Tomorrow's @djunto project has gone to the translators. It's a manufactured piano duet. ->
- Who song in trailer for espionage show The Americans. This + CSI shows + recent Person of Interest: the Who = sonic TV shorthand for mystery ->
- Kode9, dishwashers, Shanghai: yapping it up in comments under the autobiographical recording I posted yesterday: https://t.co/mqGSlFAX ->
- This signage makes me feel like 20th Century Boys is happening in my neighborhood: http://t.co/PfFYK5Sw ->
- More shortly, but some initial notes on something the @djunto will be assisting @bldgblog on: http://t.co/0SWiy2yq. Sonifying liquefaction. ->
- Disappointed that Alphas hasn't been renewed by Syfy. Enjoyed interviewing the show runner for Nature last year. ->
- I'd love to see the demographic breakdown of who purchases Lode Runner during the next 24 hours: http://t.co/1iENOywD ->
- Yo, OS X pros: Any way to use a key command to click/trigger an item in the menu bar? ->
- Yo, @io9: Poet @christianbok made a micro-organism write poetry: http://t.co/wIA6Dm0u (Earlier created languages for Earth: Final Conflict.) ->
- Paraphrasing Woody Allen in Stardust Memories I check out new Timbaland/Pharrell productions hoping for hint of their earlier, funkier work. ->
- More details from @SoundCloud on that Heroes program I was invited to participate in: http://t.co/O1N94u94 ->
- "an orchestra being held hostage in an underground bunker with thinning oxygen"? Sign me up: http://t.co/cSfPD2hY #asaprocky #clamscasino ->
- The 55th weekly Disquiet Junto project goes live shortly. We'll be reworking @nilsfrahm, with specific restraints. ->
- AirDisplay for 2nd screen is nifty but iDisplay's ability to use USB (Android only) is super-nifty, especially when using public network. ->
- For the 55th @djunto project, we're reworking piano tracks by @nilsfrahm. Details at https://t.co/5ji3COis + http://t.co/3CD48YxE ->
- The 55th @djunto is available English as well as Afrikaans, Croatian, German, and Turkish, with probably one more language to be added. ->
- "Signal." Detail of manhole cover. The fallen leaves must be the "noise." http://t.co/fhv49Gy1 ->
- Syfy : science fiction :: MTV : music ->
- RIP, Nic Potter (b. 1951), bassist of Van der Graaf Generator. ->
- Can Raspberry Pi + external CD = quiet, compact media-ripping station? Can it do so with relative ease? ->
- Yo, @djunto folks, @otolythe over at @hilobrow did up the year-end audio journals: http://t.co/lxPzNqhL. ->
- Already 6 reworkings of solo piano by @nilsfrahm combing 2 tracks into 1: https://t.co/hrpu0A1s. Set includes source audio. ->
- Japanese translation of instructions has been added to this week's @djunto project: http://t.co/3CD48YxE ->
- That isn't the cafe's subwoofer. That's a little kid pounding a heel against the bench every time the bass note kicks in. ->
- Dead MacBook Power Adapter Society ->
- In one day: phone loses data connection repeatedly, laptop cord dies, home wifi goes out for hours. Oh, and dead bulb in desk lamp. #oy ->
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 28, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0489 / The Prestige / The Assignment: Apply some magic to ABA form.
• 0488 / Reverse Delay / The Assignment: Do something you've been putting off.
• 0487 / Carillon Quotidian / The Assignment: Turn a recurring sound from your life into music.
• 0486 / Earths Days / The Assignment: Celebrate Earth Day on or for another planet.
• 0485 / Strange Weather / The Assignment: Remix the pure sounds of Chris Kallmyer's traveling wind chimes to your own musical purposes.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 489 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments