- Man, it's only Saturday and already 21 tracks imagining @textinstagram tweets as their cover images: https://t.co/Xj4dNmeMFE ->
- "This was the first time in nine years that 'Hit the Lights' was performed in Brisbane." The beautiful data of LiveMetallica downloads. ->
- Hopeful that Spike Lee's Oldboy will be less a remake of the extravagant Oldboy movie and more an adaptation of the restrained Oldboy manga. ->
- Sculpture at playground http://t.co/1C4V9sWIWk ->
- I wrote about my affection for the new @Wayne_TheTrain album (on @BSHQ) for @csindependent: http://t.co/sYfq79WzJP ->
- I'm part of the 1% — the apparent 1% of the TV-viewing population who highly enjoyed the now cancelled absurdity called Zero Hour. ->
- The second of two live Autechre streaming events this weekend begins on the hour here: http://t.co/UALlmMg7vl ->
- Indeedy. MT @gr3gjsmith: AE mixes = cratedigger paradise. MT @disquiet: Live streaming Autechre event begins shortly: http://t.co/yqL8fMH3yc ->
- The room was empty at the time. Now over 100 people have listened to the drone of my doctor's office: https://t.co/89razZ3vOr ->
- Tomorrow is week 5 of my sound class. The subject is product design, from the crunch of potato chips to Facebook's new notification burp. ->
- You'd think it'd be easier to have a single .txt file accessible through a click on the OS X (top) menu bar. Well, I would. ->
- Almost missed the San Francisco Tuesday noon siren but UPS guy opened door to doctor's office just after it had begun. ->
- If you're on academia dot edu, I'm at: http://t.co/lEhaBaMe6L ->
- There are only 6 films tagged as "sound design" on @letterboxd ->
- Bringing the Third Place to the First and Second Places: http://t.co/jh2p54uqmb. Very cool. Thanks, @mrdanielcarter + @colossal in reply to mrdanielcarter ->
- I'd like to thank @facebook for introducing its annoying notification beep just in time for my class' week on sound in product design. ->
- Nearing-midnight sounds: rumble of clothes dryer, occasional automobile bounding over street temporarily lined with massive metal plates. ->
- My Kindle 7" died. May is months away. Someone at Google wants an abstract-sound musician/organizer to beta test the next Nexus 7, right? ->
- This week's @djunto will be music for/from sine waves. ->
- Indeed. In this case, the waves will be recognizable as such. RT @nynexrepublic: @disquiet @djunto all music is made of sine waves! :) ->
- Commitment is changing your default .txt editor. Just moved from TextEdit to Mou. ->
- The 62nd @djunto project has begun at http://t.co/DYQtwPTLgO + https://t.co/eK4AFScM6I and it's gone to the http://t.co/ABeKP0V8GQ e-list. ->
- My café observation of the day is that laptop entropy leads people to Facebook while iPad entropy leads people to the app store. ->
- Sweet! MT @Schemawound: I can't tell you how many times I got told that while helping put this together: http://t.co/mGFnT8d5Ga ->
- Being retweeted by your friend's teenager is a proud moment. ->
- It is not a good thing that SXSW produces more email PR than the Grammys do. ->
- Sonic resources: MT @analogue01: For anyone who needs sine waves for this week's @djunto: http://t.co/WN6ooZmzDd ->
- Not a speaker: http://t.co/yaLWGWzGrv ->
- The more remote of two listening posts in neighborhood playground: http://t.co/rSAUrxcqF6 ->
- There is a certain beauty to an ebook at night, the only light in the otherwise dark room, glowing text suspended in midair. ->
- Listening to Jeff Beal's House of Cards score while typing alone at home. My paperclips and stapler are conspiring against my coffee cup. ->
- Music made from a trio of sine waves: https://t.co/Pm87dAjR7z. Already 4 tracks in the latest @djunto project, #62. ->
- Giving @ThisIsMyJam another go. I remain http://t.co/I6hBjhsl7O over there. ->
- An open form letter to publicists (and to bands/coders/artists who serve as their own publicist): http://t.co/7GtcWqj3Bk. ->
- As a longtime Richmond District resident I'm sad to learn that @haigsdelicacies' Clement Street store is closing. #hummus #muhamarra #dolmas ->
- Apparently #muhamarra is a far less frequently used hashtag than either #hummus or #dolmas. ->
- Finding more people on @vineapp to follow than @appdotnet. But I guess I'm less picky about visuals than conversation. I'm @disquiet on ADN. ->
- Exploring the sonic potential of @vineapp: http://t.co/KBrmDS4jod. Featuring several loops by @MattCBarlow. #vrone ->
- Gotta love a test-to-speech service that mispronounces "transliterate." ->
- “I promise to take good care of you”is what I find myself saying when I install a ROM. Got my gen 1 Kindle Fire running Jelly Bean 4.2.2. ->
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 28, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0499 / Out of the Landscape / The Assignment: Record a piece of music in which a sound emerges from a field recording.
• 0498 / Sonic Entomologist / The Assignment: Create a new hybrid insect from the sound of two different insects.
• 0497 / Benjamin's Glass / The Assignment: Pay tribute to Benjamin Franklin and his armonica
• 0496 / Isolation Room / The Assignment: Create new music around one strand of something you made in the past.
• 0495 / Protip Etude / The Assignment: Share a tip for making music or working with sound, and record a track that employs it.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 499 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod touch junto live-performance live performance mesostic modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments