- Didn't tweet college reunion since, with very few exceptions, anyone I would want to read the tweet was within a few feet for two-plus days. ->
- 33 musicians (so far) interpret a map of the San Andreas Fault as if it were a graphic score: http://t.co/Xvl7KKbIyL ->
- The Long Island Railroad's symbol for "listen”: http://t.co/7vtnPJbkTj ->
- I thought that profille looked familiar. MT @KenMcCandless: 1/3 of Daft Punk member waving. MT @disquiet LIRR symbol http://t.co/wKmkCldvW6 ->
- Listening activity in playground, rusted edition. http://t.co/Azx5oTlmmw ->
- Tinkertoy instructions from my childhood. http://t.co/KAyKLFAeIM ->
- Evening sounds (at parents’ home): dishwasher drone, refrigerator drone, low level electric whine; no cars (suburb), no planes (insulation). ->
- Wind chimes, rainy day, house of childhood friend. http://t.co/aUF7WKhJw1 ->
- Jackson Heights rhythm moire: intersection of underpass, elevated train, through traffic, and LIRR. ->
- The AirTrain to JFK sounds more future-modern than other regional rails, no clanking, just whir and drone. ->
- The new emotion when one confirms one's cellphone's suggestion to add the unusual spelling of a friend's newborn to the phone's dictionary. ->
- JFK -> SFO http://t.co/BZaUV4NloH ->
- The '80s music playing in the JetBlue terminal at JFK seems more suited to time travel than to air travel. ->
- Feels like Explosion in Toontown was the theme of Bay Area raves in the 1990s. ->
- Blog spam isn’t the problem with search. The problem is every artist/musician of limited note shares a name with a sports figure of note. ->
- Super cool. At HeroesCon on June 8 at 3pm, as part of a music’n’comics panel, Craig Fischer is presenting on my work: http://t.co/8EDuAogKw4 ->
- That's what I'm talking about. RT @Steve_Hamann: @disquiet It's true. I believe I share a name with water polo olympian. ->
- I am not surprised. RT @WonderlandK: @disquiet Ha! Yes. It is the bane of my new music copyediting/fact checking career. ->
- That's what I'm talking about. RT @mrgavinedwards: @disquiet U Conn basketball center Gavin Edwards drank my Google juice. ->
- We have a winner. (Or, perhaps, loser.) RT @vuzhmusic: @disquiet My poor brother shares a name with a famous skater AND a porn actor. ->
- Cybercrime alibi central. MT @subgirl: share mine w/a race car driver, a camera bag company & a large national paint store chain. Screwed. ->
- Some morning music: low-key minimal techno by ArnoDee/Castenada, fractured beats and broken atmospheres: http://t.co/fBiNMpO1Fo ->
- The Toronto/mayor/crack thing is another reason I wish the Canadian TV series Intelligence, featuring Ian Tracey, was still on the air. ->
- Reading Zoo City by @LaurenBeukes on the bus, wondering what everyone's familiars would be. ->
- This week in @djunto we'll use the response to a music performance (applause) as the source material for music-making. ->
- Information flows through this. http://t.co/zkwheMTNml ->
- 74th weekly @djunto project starts. Turn applause into music: http://t.co/pMKMv5bDQk https://t.co/oxoiMXzhip Due June 3 just shy of midnight ->
- For folks doing 74th @djunto & having trouble accessing the source applause audio, this lo-fi version may suffice: https://t.co/sSgovxoCLE ->
- Thanks, @notrobwalker, for the @YahooNews”Ž piece mentioning the @bldgblog/@djunto San Andreas Fault music project: http://t.co/L0z8N2gSBr ->
- Articles posted online to be read for free about how it is stupid (among less polite terms) to post things online for free. ->
- Can someone who's logged into freesound (.org) please download and share with me this track? http://t.co/ISu1a54JO1 Thanks. ->
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 29, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0500 / Humming to Your Selves / The Assignment: Play a tune by yourself and as if by two people whom you invent.
• 0499 / Out of the Landscape / The Assignment: Record a piece of music in which a sound emerges from a field recording.
• 0498 / Sonic Entomologist / The Assignment: Create a new hybrid insect from the sound of two different insects.
• 0497 / Benjamin's Glass / The Assignment: Pay tribute to Benjamin Franklin and his armonica
• 0496 / Isolation Room / The Assignment: Create new music around one strand of something you made in the past.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 500 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod touch junto live-performance live performance mesostic modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments