An extended drone opening gives way to loungey, way downtempo beat. It swells and lulls, each segment an act of quietly desperate minimal techno, but shuffling by at a rate that keeps the ear alert throughout. As the two-minute point nears, there’s a snippet of a comedy bit that provides the otherwise instrumental work with its title. It’s “softspot”by letterfounder. The comedian is Doug Stanhope, who’s identified in a brief liner note, which states: “samples doug stanhope, adolf noise, scuba gear, a heating vent, a jet engine (and spray paint cans via 2nerd at @2nerd).”
5 Most Recent Comments
Peggy Nelson: "Like you, I was really fascinated watching the code be worked on, while the music changed in response..."
António Reinaldo: "Gosto muito de música! "
António Reinaldo: "I like music very much! "
Lin Mu: "Thanks for doing this. This is why I love human curation. First there is the ideocratic sense that someone,..."
Miranda Lukeman: "Wow, this brings back memories—it’s been years since I participated. I’m so happy Junto Disquiet..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• January 2, 2018: This day marks the 6th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• February 7, 2018: Start of the semester for the course I teach on the role of sound in the media landscape at the Academy of Art in San Francisco.
• December 13, 2018: This day marked the 22nd anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
The Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects:
• 0337 / Through-Composted / Create a piece of music that is through-composed, but built entirely from samples.
• 0336 / Open Mic / Share a piece of music you're working on in the interest of getting feedback.
• 0335 / Alone Time / Record conference-call hold music — a private limbo of your own making.
• 0334 / Mass Branca / Record a massive multi-layered tribute to the legendary guitarist-composer.
• 0333 / Half Evil / Where numerology casts a shadow on musicology.
... And there is a complete list of past projects.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice