The sound of the no-input mixer is not so much the ghost in the machine as it is the machine’s central nervous system. That’s part of what John Cage claimed to have heard in his famous encounter with an anechoic chamber: the sound that results when there is no other sound. Peter Kirn of createdigitalmusic.com has helpfully explained the “no-input mixer” approach as utilizing “controlled feedback rather than any other source of sound” and he has quoted Canadian composer Christian CarriÃ¨re as called it “the sound of the circuits inside the mixer singing.” In the hands of Philadelphia”“based Joo Won Park, the “no-input mixer” is less a matter of singing than full-on, tantrum-level glossolalia, a heavy gurgle of electric fissues. Up above is Park’s “October 1402 (for no-input mixer and computer),” which at times sounds like an arcade game on its last legs, and at others like freakazoid hardcore free jazz improvisation.
5 Most Recent Comments
Ian Joyce: "Beautiful as this is to listen to at home – her performance in person is totally absorbing. Her..."
Jens Alfke: "Has anyone made a mirror of this playlist on Apple Music? If not, maybe I will… (i know I can..."
Jason Richardson: "Nice. Reminds me of Barbara Bartos’ soundscape instrument, see https://vimeo.com/barbarab..."
Adrien Capozzi: "love the pic. "
Peggy Nelson: "Like you, I was really fascinated watching the code be worked on, while the music changed in response..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• January 2, 2018: This day marks the 6th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• February 7, 2018: Start of the semester for the course I teach on the role of sound in the media landscape at the Academy of Art in San Francisco.
• December 13, 2018: This day marked the 22nd anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
The Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects:
• 0341 / Sample Forensics / The Assignment: Place a fragmentary sample into a natural-seeming setting.
• 0340 / Porta Party / The Assignment: Record a piece of music entirely on the go.
• 0339 / Rude Mechanicals / The Assignment: Record a piece of music in this imaginary genre.
• 0338 / Imaginary Quartet / In collaboration with Naviar Haiku, make a four-person band from the provided four live solo.
• 0337 / Through-Composted / Create a piece of music that is through-composed, but built entirely from samples.
... And there is a complete list of past projects.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice