- Fernando Pessoa died this day in 1935. Did every heteronym get an obituary? ->
- In honor of 78th anniversary of Pessoa's death, experiments with color-coded alternate translations I did years back: http://t.co/36DxzRLT2Y ->
- Playgrounds that accustom kids to playing with sound. http://t.co/wZGcfwV9jk ->
- The upgrade from iPad 2 to iPad Mini 2 is not insignificant. #samplr #rjdj #reactable #air #bloom #bmachine ->
- The term "Cyber Monday" sounds like the sales are for 28.8k modems, flight-simulation CD-ROMs, and AOL membership. ->
- iPad Mini Air 2 with Retina 4K Project Red S C ->
- There's a lot of beauty in iOS music interfaces, and even by that high standard, Samplr's loveliness continues to impress. ->
- This, by the way, is the iOS app @Samplr that I mentioned earlier: https://t.co/zxHhc8MIXm. More here: http://t.co/5ZlrfWZus0. Cc @vuzhmusic in reply to vuzhmusic ->
- 28 musicians so far in the 100th weekly Disquiet Junto: making music from the sound of water boiling: http://t.co/TUvzNUMOHl ->
- iOS and Android are great. My daily ("productivity") emphasis on Android rests on 3 simple things: widgets, notification light, file system. ->
- Took one for the cause. MT @ioflow: boiled my mic tonight. now to see if i can get any worthwhile audio for the current @djunto project. ->
- #protip: RT @ioflow: note to self: use a real hydrophone for water-based @djunto projects. and buy new mic. ->
- Safe to say joining up with @gizmodo increases listenership for @djunto projects. One Xbox track has over 5,000: http://t.co/BRwEQeEmHY ->
- My kingdom for a lighter, more compact laptop power cord. ->
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco: http://t.co/FrVmKgO1Mx ->
- Tuesday burger at Rosamunde. Somehow totally didn't hear the noon siren today. #415 ->
- RIP, Junior Murvin, 64, whose "Police and Thieves," produced by Lee Scratch Perry, was covered on the first Clash album. ->
- Music to listen to music to proof copy to. ->
- Lowering the volume on the Pete Rock I'm listening to so it'll meld with the Miles Davis playing on this cafe's stereo system. ->
- Another day, another article posted for free on open-source blog software about problem of posting music for free using Creative Commons. ->
- Today in sound class, the 13th of 15 weeks: online communities, digital music retail, mapping cultural connections. ->
- 15,625: Number of listens thus far on SoundCloud to the 99th weekly Disquiet Junto project, nearly 1,000 per track: https://t.co/YKbk0gF4u0 ->
- Yo, Hive Mind: Places in San Francisco to get simple (brand-less, pocket-less) felt sleeve for iPad Mini? ->
- Read article this week with 13 tips on not misusing @SoundCloud account. Now can't find it. Anyone recall? Advised against works-in-progress ->
- A soundwalk is a docent tour of a museum called daily reality. ->
- Trancing out to how out of sync are the several dozen TVs in this electronics store. ->
- "Sometimes I think of you as Mom and other times just as this interesting person who lives in our house." The Good Wife is really something. ->
- Background music while working: playing vinyl surface noise in granular Borderlands app (few voices, long duration). It's like a fireplace. ->
- Today will be the 101st weekly @djunto project. Expect binary. ->
- #analog #binary The 101st weekly @djunto project begins. Four days to make phase-shift music http://t.co/SXDDv6k2hJ + http://t.co/j3kkfdGpfz ->
- RIP, noise musician Aube (Akifumi Nakajima, ä¸å¶‹æ˜æ–‡), born 1959. ->
- Twitter kept removing the Japanese characters from my Aube tweet and moving the parenthetical to the front. But now it looks fine. #weird ->
- Assumes all avatars with numbers in theirs names are spambots — unless those numbers correlate with antiquated drum machines. ->
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2022: This day marks the 26th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2023: This day marked the 11th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• April 16, 2022: I participated in an online "talk show" by The Big Conversation Space (Niki Korth and Clémence de Montgolfier).
• March 11, 2022: I hosted a panel discussion between Mark Fell, Rian Treanor and James Bradbury in San Francisco as part of the Algorithmic Art Assembly (aaassembly.org) at Gray Area (grayarea.org).
• December 28, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marked the 25th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0551 / The Bends / The Assignment: Get less strict about something you're strict about.
• 0550 / Abrupt Probability / Make music based on a chance graphic score.
• 0549 / Sidelines / The Assignment: Get intentional with stereo.
• 0548 / Drone Vox / The Assignment: Make a drone using just your voice.
• 0547 / Genre Melee / Combine two seemingly different genres.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 551 consecutive weeks to date.