- Fernando Pessoa died this day in 1935. Did every heteronym get an obituary? ->
- In honor of 78th anniversary of Pessoa's death, experiments with color-coded alternate translations I did years back: http://t.co/36DxzRLT2Y ->
- Playgrounds that accustom kids to playing with sound. http://t.co/wZGcfwV9jk ->
- The upgrade from iPad 2 to iPad Mini 2 is not insignificant. #samplr #rjdj #reactable #air #bloom #bmachine ->
- The term "Cyber Monday" sounds like the sales are for 28.8k modems, flight-simulation CD-ROMs, and AOL membership. ->
- iPad Mini Air 2 with Retina 4K Project Red S C ->
- There's a lot of beauty in iOS music interfaces, and even by that high standard, Samplr's loveliness continues to impress. ->
- This, by the way, is the iOS app @Samplr that I mentioned earlier: https://t.co/zxHhc8MIXm. More here: http://t.co/5ZlrfWZus0. Cc @vuzhmusic in reply to vuzhmusic ->
- 28 musicians so far in the 100th weekly Disquiet Junto: making music from the sound of water boiling: http://t.co/TUvzNUMOHl ->
- iOS and Android are great. My daily ("productivity") emphasis on Android rests on 3 simple things: widgets, notification light, file system. ->
- Took one for the cause. MT @ioflow: boiled my mic tonight. now to see if i can get any worthwhile audio for the current @djunto project. ->
- #protip: RT @ioflow: note to self: use a real hydrophone for water-based @djunto projects. and buy new mic. ->
- Safe to say joining up with @gizmodo increases listenership for @djunto projects. One Xbox track has over 5,000: http://t.co/BRwEQeEmHY ->
- My kingdom for a lighter, more compact laptop power cord. ->
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco: http://t.co/FrVmKgO1Mx ->
- Tuesday burger at Rosamunde. Somehow totally didn't hear the noon siren today. #415 ->
- RIP, Junior Murvin, 64, whose "Police and Thieves," produced by Lee Scratch Perry, was covered on the first Clash album. ->
- Music to listen to music to proof copy to. ->
- Lowering the volume on the Pete Rock I'm listening to so it'll meld with the Miles Davis playing on this cafe's stereo system. ->
- Another day, another article posted for free on open-source blog software about problem of posting music for free using Creative Commons. ->
- Today in sound class, the 13th of 15 weeks: online communities, digital music retail, mapping cultural connections. ->
- 15,625: Number of listens thus far on SoundCloud to the 99th weekly Disquiet Junto project, nearly 1,000 per track: https://t.co/YKbk0gF4u0 ->
- Yo, Hive Mind: Places in San Francisco to get simple (brand-less, pocket-less) felt sleeve for iPad Mini? ->
- Read article this week with 13 tips on not misusing @SoundCloud account. Now can't find it. Anyone recall? Advised against works-in-progress ->
- A soundwalk is a docent tour of a museum called daily reality. ->
- Trancing out to how out of sync are the several dozen TVs in this electronics store. ->
- "Sometimes I think of you as Mom and other times just as this interesting person who lives in our house." The Good Wife is really something. ->
- Background music while working: playing vinyl surface noise in granular Borderlands app (few voices, long duration). It's like a fireplace. ->
- Today will be the 101st weekly @djunto project. Expect binary. ->
- #analog #binary The 101st weekly @djunto project begins. Four days to make phase-shift music http://t.co/SXDDv6k2hJ + http://t.co/j3kkfdGpfz ->
- RIP, noise musician Aube (Akifumi Nakajima, ä¸å¶‹æ˜æ–‡), born 1959. ->
- Twitter kept removing the Japanese characters from my Aube tweet and moving the parenthetical to the front. But now it looks fine. #weird ->
- Assumes all avatars with numbers in theirs names are spambots — unless those numbers correlate with antiquated drum machines. ->
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• February 5, 2020: The first session of the 15-week course I teach at the Academy of Art about the role of sound in the media landscape.
• April 15, 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• December 13, 2020: This day marks the 24th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2021: This day marks the 9th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• At least two live group concerts by Disquiet Junto members in the San Francisco Bay Area are in the works for 2020.
• I have liner notes for a musician's solo album and an essay in a book about an art event due out. I'll announce as the release dates come into focus.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0455 / Inner Invertebrate / The Assignment: What does a moment (or a day) in the life of a jellyfish sound like to a jellyfish?
• 0454 / Lsoo Vneg / The Assignment: Encode the name of someone you love into a piece of music.
• 0453 / Dial Up / The Assignment: Imagine the technologically mediated First Contact through sound.
• 0452 / Let's Scream / The Assignment: Get cathartic. Be resilient. Turn your scream into music.
• 0451 / Ursula's Silences / Make music inspired by a line from A Wizard of Earthsea.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 455 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments