According to Google Translate, the title of Michiru Aoyama’s new track means “To Become Distant,” a fitting phrase to associate with something that sounds like the swan song of some giant ship disappearing over the horizon. It is an orchestra of orchestras tuning up. It is the sonification of birds migrating in vast numbers. It is a dense, magnificent font of activity, slowing occasionally to catch its breath, or to let the listener do so. This is maximal ambient music, the tools and textures of quiet music — the suggestion of stasis, the emphasis on layers, the fractal tonality — put into effect for boisterous rather than sedate purposes.
5 Most Recent Comments
Daniel Schrempf: "This is so well put. Great insight! I actually stumbled on this article as I was hunting for..."
Robert Gable: "Classical Pulse had slipped my mine. I remember at the time thinking that Robert Levine listened to a..."
Ian Joyce: "Thank you Marc for such a lovely and thoughtful review! "
Debashis Sinha: "Thanks so much for this Marc – spot on analysis. You nailed it exactly. "
Brian Biggs: "Fantastic. There’s a Rube Goldberg analogy hidden there in the electronics. "
5 Most Recent Posts
• January 2, 2018: This day marks the 6th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• February 7, 2018: Start of the semester for the course I teach on the role of sound in the media landscape at the Academy of Art in San Francisco.
• December 13, 2018: This day marked the 22nd anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
The Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects:
• 0334 / Mass Branca / Record a massive multi-layered tribute to the legendary guitarist-composer.
• 0333 / Half Evil / Where numerology casts a shadow on musicology.
• 0332 / Lucky Numbers / Make music based on the lottery.
• 0331 / Born Under a Bad Sine / What does it sound like when a robot has the blues?• 0330 / Wax Off / Make a piece of music by erasing aspects of a pre-existing track.
• 0330 / Wax Off / Make a piece of music by erasing aspects of a pre-existing track.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice