The popular Real Audio plug-in for web browsers is perfect for electronic music for a simple reason: the sounds of electronic pop remain unfamiliar enough to keep the relatively poor quality of the transmission from distracting. Furthermore, the RA format is easy to produce, and the ease of that endeavor has contributed heavily to a virtual groundswell of bedroom composers on the web. If your PC is wired for tunes, get thee to the Hollowman’s web site (jonx.clara.net/hollowman.html) for a taste of how casual it is for the Everysampler to make his music public; as the homepage’s tag line announces: “this site homegrown using notepad. looks ok under netscape.” The Hollowman “outed” himself recently by posting his URL on an Internet mailing list dedicated to “Intelligent Dance Music,” and the three tracks of chill-out background music are worth the trip. “Abuseless” spins a lackadaisical swath from what we once called goth and “Functional (Dub)” applies a fanciful farfisa beat, of sorts, to the proceedings. The best track, though, is “2 Part Set,” which Hollowman’s limited notes refer to as “not friendly,” but which will definitely please adventurous cubicle surfers and home enthusiasts with its industrial timbres and elegiac flow. The tracks are also available in downloadable MP3 format.
5 Most Recent Comments
Pete Midipunk: "Yay!!! One a dumb ol’ drummer can do haha! Sounds fun thank you. "
needles: "Noll’s compositions and performances under all of his names are other-level. "
Carolyn Jackson: "It’s not your imagination. The outfit was Laurie Spiegel inspired! "
Neil: "Great, interesting piece. Marc, have you thought about making the concept of ‘Bracket Sound’ a..."
Tom: "This is heavenly "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0269 / Duet Portion / Record half of a live duet. • 0268 / Walking Music / Take a stroll and describe it in sound, paying tribute to the late manga great Jiro Taniguchi. • 0267 / The Metronomic Society / Create a theme song for a fictional organization. • 0266 / Vocal Cuts / Use segments of your own held vowel to make music. • 0265 / Kitchen Music / Record a piece of music that uses items from just one drawer.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice