Brief Bits: (1) The folks behind PirateTV.net have launched s900.net, “a site devoted to musical experimentation,” and s900.tv, which features live and archival streams. The S900.tv site will reportedly stream video from 8pm to 10pm Greenwich Mean Time every Sunday (“or praps later”). … (2) Apple’s new campaign for its Soundtrack software gives music-making tools to the non-musician. “With Soundtrack,” the advertising copy reads, “you can choose from over 4,000 royalty-free instrument loops and sound effects to create just the right mood for your project. Soundtrack automatically matches key and tempo. If you’d like to squeeze in some samba or tickle your audience with a piano accompaniment, Soundtrack lets you search its library for the right instrument, mood, and genre. With Soundtrack you can also easily create fade ins and fade outs, speed up the tempo or slow things down, increase or decrease volume — all in real time.” For more information, check out the software’s promotional website. … (3) Carpark Records, the New York home to Greg Davis, Jake Mandell, Ogurusu Norihide and others, has launched its newly redesigned website, carparkrecords.com. … (4) Benbecula, the Scottish label, has launched its website, benbecula.com, and promises streaming audio soon from its showcase at the recent Sonar festival in Barcelona, Spain.
5 Most Recent Comments
G: "I had completely forgot about “cassingles” even though they still take up residence on a shelf in..."
Willaim Scot Besseme: "Well, given that the 472s were chromium (hinted at with the “high bias” mention)..."
txehbST: "This is great, thank you. "
G: "Ampex were huge in reel tapes but for cassettes most I knew were using Maxell,TDK and BASF chromes. Are those 15..."
nix31: "Thank you for the playmoss tip! "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0253 / Doorbell Rehab / Record some welcome music. • 0252 / Sonic Palindrome / Make music that sounds the same backwards and forwards. • 0251 / Soothing Sounds for Parents / Remix some music for infants with parents in mind. • 0250 / Soothing Sounds for Junto / Make some peaceful music for an infant child. • 0249 / 80 Phases / Wish the minimalist composer Steve Reich a happy birthday.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice