- Tip for our era's musique d’ameublement: "@daveseidel: appliances likely based on 60Hz, which is where I tune all of my (non-improv) music." #
- Morning sounds: fairly certain microwave & computer fan are octave apart. Also: bus, baby snore, ice crackling in black coffee, one bird. #
- I parsed new @rushkoff book Program or Be Programmed from musician-centric POV: http://j.mp/gyFbYK (on @wammusic) He did play w/ Psychic TV. #
- ♫ FYI, Egyptian e-musician Mahmoud Refat has music alongside Zimoun tracks on some CDs. More Refat tracks: http://j.mp/gWyqbd #smallworld #
- ♫ Straight Outta Cairo: More experimental Egyptian music: Mahmoud Refat's glitch-ambient "Searching Data" http://j.mp/gCqfBX #
- ♫ Straight Outta Cairo: Experimental Egyptian music for when reading latest uprising news: http://j.mp/3RAwid (Hassan Khan live in 2009) #
- Wondering, as I do on occasion, the extent to which the Human Target is a highly literal compression of Shade the Changing Man. #
- Notice up at an uncharacteristically coy touchradio.org.uk: "Touch Radio at The British Library National Sound Archive": http://j.mp/e76mtC #
- And, in SF Public Library's comics collection, Hellblazer is broken up alphabetically by author. #continuity #
- Comics categorization at SF Public Library is a riot. Some Dungeon alphabetized under Blain not Trondheim due to name order on covers. #
- If I get enough done today then I'll treat myself to concert apparently featuring induction coil generator made from feedback of 20 strings. #
- Two days without yubnub and I have gone back, command-line tail between my legs. #
- Noon Bells (Dishwasher Mix) #
- Posted thoughts about tech un-self-consciousness of most pop music. Then got excited by @jgrossnas tweet about Nick Lowe reissue. #hypocrite #
- Obvious to point of underestimated: how MP3s don't degrade. Listening now to 10-year-old rip of BBC stream; still sounds just as it did. #
- I don't think music publicists understand how much they undermine themselves & each other with sheer volume of communication they produce. #
- One Piece anime BitTorrent downloaders sued. Translation: the accused would be pirates of pirates http://tinyurl.com/4dardmn #
- Did CS Lewis write a fable for parents of newborns about a magical wardrobe containing clothes that aren't all stained with spit-up? #
- Amazon Kindle Singles were invented primarily to help people prop up their GoodReads stats. #
- Some day there will be a J Dilla bot retweeting all Raymond Scott references. #
- RIP, country singer Charlie Louvin (b. 1927) via @lenpsmall @countrymarxist @fbjournal His warbly vowels contained multitudes. #
- The Dow just hit 12,000. Edge Question: Will it hit 36,000 before or after the web dies? #
- Martin Scorsese: Ingram Marshall, may I use Fog Tropes in Shutter Island? Marshall: OK. Scorsese: Is it OK if DiCaprio vomits in the scene? #
- NYC carriagetrade.org gallery's Facebook page for 'Social Photography' exhibit (cellphone images) disabled due to TOU violation. #antisocial #
- Fantastic four to the floor: "@LardyRevenger: I just heard some bass so fucked up, it sounded like Galactus farting." #
- Some images and impressions of Zimoun's concert @swissnexSF with Jim Haynes last week: http://bit.ly/dNHpvT #
- Trying to wean myself from yubnub. … Mostly this means not putting a "g" before every search entry. #
- Pondering the gray zone between "spec script" and "fan fiction." #
- Magical. "@onyudo: It's a sad day when the 'burp & fart piano' is the #1 free app in the apple desktop app store." #
- He'll wrestle with Nokia's @davestewart "@geetadayal: Will.i.am named Intel director of creative innovation: http://lat.ms/hQvo0m" #
- The folks at @swissnexSF are incredibly polite. Zimoun concert began with this request: "Please turn off or at least turn down your phone." #
- Trying to decide how to mentally balance the simultaneous Egypt protests and the KUSF protest. #
- Pondering the presence of EFF and Creative Commons pages on Facebook. Are they embassies, shantytowns, protest sites, provocations? AOTA? #
- RT @goodbully: "Taco Bell must've taken its cues from the rap game by using fake beef to make a quick buck." via @raynardfaux #
- Tuesday noon siren, filtered through a lot of dubby netlabel goodness. #
- ► David Lynch's "I Know" single, this time remixed into a "weirdstep" dirge by @Jon_Hopkins_ http://j.mp/gLtPU6 on @soundcloud #
- .@sideb0ard Yeah, it's less the Android kboard, which is good; it's (1) diminished screenscape and (2) motion on public transportation. #
- Couple weeks into Nexus S test drive, and I'm still not a virtual-keyboard guy. Guess I'll try G2 next, or Evo Shift? #tactile #
- "@ario: Best way I've heard a mix described in a long while: 'Only 26% Shazam-able!' -@iamdonte Mix in question: http://bit.ly/h6vuWx" #
- RT @donald Resurrecting my Chachi Jones alter ego for Sacramento Electronic Music Festival this Sat. @SEMFpresents http://is.gd/iXK6P3 #
- Wondering if the Jason Statham remake of Charles Bronson's The Mechanic will have a similar, gutsy, dialog-free first 15 minutes. #
- .@primusluta Culture jamming has always been about disrupting media signals but how do you do it when the media's signal is dispersed noise? #
- "@primusluta: @disquiet Exactly!! It's not disposable income anymore, it's disposable time. You make the noise they brand it." [Well said.] #
- 4 of 5 Oscar best-score noms were on my Top 10 list. I've yet to see Train Your Dragon, but admire John Powell (esp. Mr. and Mrs. Smith). #
- Google Reader painfully slow right now. #
- Popularity of 2010 Top 10 lists on Disquiet.com, declining order: 1 iOS Sound Apps, 2 Netlabel Releases, 3 Commercial Albums, 4 Film Scores. #
- Good one. "@chunter16 @disquiet 'Bass fiction' meaning there's really no bass?" #
- From Kode9 press release: "Don't call him 'dubstep' he prefers to call his music 'bass fiction.'" How about "illbient"? #semantic #genrewars #
- The price of happiness? $6.56: tan tan noodles at Panda Country Kitchen. (Not to be confused with the fast-foot chain.) #szechuan #
- .@sublamp Southland is freeing, like watching laughless MASH. Bleeps a little forced, but scorelessness gives every engine & fridge meaning. #
- After watching an episode of Southland, it's hard to take seriously any show with a musical score. Which is to say, just about any show. #
- "The changing table is in view, and the strip on your diaper is blue." #toatunebydavidbowie #
- There will be a Save KUSF rally at San Francisco's City Hall tomorrow, Tuesday, January 25, at 1:00 pm. #
- My pleasure. RT @panospria Review of "Les Nostres Necessitats" by Arnau Sala, thanks to Disquiet: http://j.mp/dLFuey #
- So, a douchebag is just a hipster whose conceit is showing? #
- Late morning sounds: the chamber of horror that is a pediatrician office visit. #
- Just learned of two musicians I admire meeting up because one learned of the other's tour because they both follow me on Twitter. Wonderful! #
- OK, I've set up a @goodreads list just of sound-related books I'm reading: http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/889316?shelf=sound-music #
- Dr. Bishop wears guitar boxers. #
- If you adhere to the idea that today is louder than the past, consider how present in foreground was much of Erik Satie's Furniture Music. #
- Thoughts on Christopher Sorrentino's book on Death Wish: http://goodreads.com/review/show/142952746 // Electric-jazz score by Herbie Hancock #
- Do I write more reviews on Goodreads than Amazon, comforted by illusion I'm not directly participating in an imminent financial transaction? #
- "@TinyNietzsche: The sound of one account unfollowing." via @mbytz #
- Early morning sirens. #richmonddistrict #
- Won't be making the Zimoun opening at @GAFFTA tonight. Baby's first cold takes priority. #doublesniff #
- My favorite @Edge Question response: how free jazz trains us to "work beyond proven cognitive patterns": http://j.mp/eOInx0 #
- Autocorrect is a greater plague than autotune. And autofill is a greater plague than autocorrect. #
- Almost seems unseemly to "Like" Facebook obituaries. Maybe there should be "Thanks for letting me know" or "Ditto" buttons. #ui #ux #mores #
- RIP, artist (sound, visual, conceptual) Rolf Julius (b. 1939). Listen: http://j.mp/h7w5wN Look: http://j.mp/e0k7eE Read: http://j.mp/g3O2x6 #
- Anyone seen DJ Premier's Beats That Collected Dust Vol. 2 as a digital download, or is it vinyl only? #
- RIP, conceptual artist Dennis Oppenheim (b. 1938). See his Crystal Recorder: http://j.mp/hZVOdx via @ubuweb #
5 Most Recent Comments
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
Murray Altheim: "Quick question: do you want the recording of this second half of the duet to include both parts or..."
Pete Midipunk: "Yay!!! One a dumb ol’ drummer can do haha! Sounds fun thank you. "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0273 / Alarm Clocked / Make music for a (new! improved!) slow-waking alarm clock. • 0272 / Exoplanetary Intervals / Use music to express the relationships between planets. • 0271 / Prison Sky / Mark the 5th anniversary of open-source software engineer Bassel Khartabil's detention. • 0270 / Just Duet / Record the second half of a duet live. • 0269 / Duet Portion / Record half of a live duet.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice