It’s apparently New York week in the Disquiet Downsteam. Monday was Raz Mesinai’s computer-enabled chamber music (link), for which he draws upon some of downtown Manhattan’s most accomplished talent, including violinist Mark Feldman, guitarist Marc Ribot and cellist Jane Scarpantoni. Then came a nearly two-decade old recording of “Butch” Morris (link) in a trio that included a Ribot/Scarpantoni contemporary from the early days of the Knitting Factory, keyboardist Wayne Horvitz, and treaded into electric-Miles territory, suggesting a strong precursor to the atmospherics of illbient. And today it’s an actual illbient figure, DJ Olive (aka Gregor Asch), who has posted a third track off his new live set, Heaps As — Live in Tasmania (The Agriculture), following up the two that were Downstream entries back on March 22 (link). “At Least Some Knots Get Untangled” (MP3) is dub draped over a hi hat, a loungey affair with characteristic attention paid to individual beats and texture. And if you’re in the mood for an extended set, Olive spun the fifth and most recent in resonancefm.com‘s podcast series (stream, MP3).
5 Most Recent Comments
Brian Biggs: "Fantastic. There’s a Rube Goldberg analogy hidden there in the electronics. "
djbaroki: "Thanks for ur post ,what is your opinion about this techno pack is it a good choice for minimal techno..."
Jose: "Marc, holy smokes. I just realized you did a write up on this. My deepest and most sincere gratitudes and..."
jimmy kipple sound: "but but but what was the song? "
Mia Zabelka: "Thank you for the review. Thank you for the review! "
5 Most Recent Posts
• January 2, 2018: This day marks the 6th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• February 7, 2018: Start of the semester for the course I teach on the role of sound in the media landscape at the Academy of Art in San Francisco.
• December 13, 2018: This day marked the 22nd anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
The Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects:
• 0316 / El Segundo / The Assignment: Record the second third of a trio, adding to a pre-existing track.
• 0315 / First Chair / The Assignment: Record the first third of a trio.
• 0314 / Cold Start / The Assignment: Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it.
• 0313 / Audio Journal 2017 / The Assignment: Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen five-second segments.
• 0312 / Amplify/Magnify / The Assignment: Explore two ways in which sound is scaled.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice