- Doing lawn work in backyard. Flashback thought: "After these chores, I can go to my friend's house and play Steve Jackson's Melee & Wizard." #
- Back from gym, where yet again I found myself listening (on Android phone) to two things at once: consonant, interesting, believable as one. #
- Pretty much done with our dissection of Dave Hickey's book The Invisible Dragon at artsjournal.com/gap. Conversation better than the book. #
- Foghorns out of control in San Francisco Richmond District today. Need to get good mic to record them, to play on dreadfully sunny days. #
- What music without Michael Jackson sounds like: memorial playlist of MJ & (Jackson 5) instrumentals, lacking his vocals: http://is.gd/1ep3p #
- If you Twitter it's #followfriday: metal/breakcore monster @drumc0rps & sound artist @kabircarter & sound designer/musician @hugoverweij #
- Listening to various Michael Jackson instrumentals, in light of his reported death today. None of them sound particularly good without him. #
- Excellent music-making news for Nintendo DSi: an expanded Korg DS-10 cartridge is coming its way http://tinyurl.com/lpzwu8 — RT @Nobuooo #
- Afternoon sounds: electronic whine, engorged photocopier/printer, patterns of overlapping typing, murmur below, radios inside and outdoors. #
- A bunch of us are discussing Dave Hickey's book The Invisible Dragon over at artsjournal.com/gap. Feel free to join in. (Hickey has.) #
- Quite likely I am addicted to habanero. I start salivating at the word. Goes well with cold beer. And Madlib, Royce da 5'9", & Prefuse 73. #
- Morning sounds: typing, refrigerator whir, laptop fan, and the more frequent occurrence of buses during the commute window. #
- After 13 years of constant use my Dell Quiet Key keyboard is being retired. There's no repairing it. Words don't fail me, but characters do. #
- For all my love of movie scores, there are days when I wonder if, even at their most subtle, they're not much different from laugh tracks. #
- Thousandth Twitter post / Haiku of the Internet / Data ricochets #
- 20 years ago today near dawn, I stood — with buddy Andrew Jaffe, aka @defjaf — in Manhattan's Battery Park taking in Sun Ra & Don Cherry. #
- Wind's been so strong today, it hadn't even occurred to me until now to put on any music. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Jose: "Marc, holy smokes. I just realized you did a write up on this. My deepest and most sincere gratitudes and..."
jimmy kipple sound: "but but but what was the song? "
Mia Zabelka: "Thank you for the review. Thank you for the review! "
Rutger Zuydervelt: "Hi. Thanks for the review. Just a small thing, but memo’s piece is called..."
Aniket Roy: "Really very thoughtful. Sounds fun and worth a try at least. "
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0296 / Clustered Primes / Make music inspired by a prime-number query initiated by novelist Robin Sloan. • 0295 / Disregard Echoes / Make music inspired by a haiku, reflecting on Australian history. • 0294 / Offline Status / Pay tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil by turning his spoken words into music. • 0293 / Emerge/Immerse / Make music for Paige Dansinger's Palmyra 3D/VR images, paying tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil. • 0292 / Eclipse Music / In coordination with St. Louis Art Hack Day, make some solar-inspired tunes.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice