- Making my "Mexican matzoh brei" for my visiting parents: 1/2 matzoh, 1/2 tortilla chips. Playing Mexican Sound System on living room stereo. #
- RIP, George Perle (b. 1915), who among other things pushed for the posthumous completion of Alban Berg's opera Lulu: http://is.gd/1uMXP #
- Morning sounds: new desktop fan/drive, fridge. And that is all. #
- Play the @rhawtin Drinking Game: follow his DJ set on Twitter, guess the tracks in advance, and drink accordingly. I bet on … Alva Noto. #
- If you Twitter it's #followfriday: sound artist @stephanmathieu & record retailer @aquariusrecords & essay-infused objets @significobs #
- How to replace iTunes's cornball genre art: http://is.gd/1tAsz by @jochenWolters. A @flickr group of replacement images: http://is.gd/1tAw3 #
- RIP, Dani Banquet-Long, of the wonderful duo Celer. Just 26 years old. … http://is.gd/1syjn http://is.gd/1sylS RT @stephanmathieu #
- Finished Parker novel 8. Love that thief Grofield, an aspiring actor, has film scores playing in his head. Wonder if he'd use an iPod today. #
- My iPod's playing Transcriptions by @stephanmathieu & @taylordeupree & I'm thinking This I want to hear through speakers: http://is.gd/1ri3Y #
- Caught Public Enemies, by Michael Mann. There's sonic pleasure in the filigree spindles of freshly cut surveillance recording discs. #
- Indian buffet lunch with @hecanjog and @mtothef — always great to put a face to the name behind a netlabel. … And to nibble tandoori. #
- Transfer iPod Touch to new computer, and watch Touch applications (paid and, with one exception, free) disappear. This counts as seamless? #
- Really pleased with new desktop (from Thinkmate). It's way quiet for a desktop, & super-fast. Will have it hooked up to second monitor soon. #
- At the Schramsberg winery in Napa, the company's riddler, Ramon Viera, reportedly does his best bottle twirls to two beats: salsa and tango. #
- Morning date with Ubuntu, not the operating system. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 28, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0484 / A Movable Heart / The Assignment: Transplant the sounds of Chris Kallmyer's wind chimes to a new location.
• 0483 / Type Set / The Assignment: Use a recording of yourself typing something as the underlying rhythmic track for a piece of music.
• 0482 / Exactly That Gap / The Assignment: Make a musical haiku following instructions from Marcus Fischer.
• 0481 / Capsule Time / The Assignment: Record a time capsule for yourself in the future.
• 0480 / Ongsay Aftcray / The Assignment: Record a piece of music by employing Pig Latin as a technique.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 484 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments