- Making my "Mexican matzoh brei" for my visiting parents: 1/2 matzoh, 1/2 tortilla chips. Playing Mexican Sound System on living room stereo. #
- RIP, George Perle (b. 1915), who among other things pushed for the posthumous completion of Alban Berg's opera Lulu: http://is.gd/1uMXP #
- Morning sounds: new desktop fan/drive, fridge. And that is all. #
- Play the @rhawtin Drinking Game: follow his DJ set on Twitter, guess the tracks in advance, and drink accordingly. I bet on … Alva Noto. #
- If you Twitter it's #followfriday: sound artist @stephanmathieu & record retailer @aquariusrecords & essay-infused objets @significobs #
- How to replace iTunes's cornball genre art: http://is.gd/1tAsz by @jochenWolters. A @flickr group of replacement images: http://is.gd/1tAw3 #
- RIP, Dani Banquet-Long, of the wonderful duo Celer. Just 26 years old. … http://is.gd/1syjn http://is.gd/1sylS RT @stephanmathieu #
- Finished Parker novel 8. Love that thief Grofield, an aspiring actor, has film scores playing in his head. Wonder if he'd use an iPod today. #
- My iPod's playing Transcriptions by @stephanmathieu & @taylordeupree & I'm thinking This I want to hear through speakers: http://is.gd/1ri3Y #
- Caught Public Enemies, by Michael Mann. There's sonic pleasure in the filigree spindles of freshly cut surveillance recording discs. #
- Indian buffet lunch with @hecanjog and @mtothef — always great to put a face to the name behind a netlabel. … And to nibble tandoori. #
- Transfer iPod Touch to new computer, and watch Touch applications (paid and, with one exception, free) disappear. This counts as seamless? #
- Really pleased with new desktop (from Thinkmate). It's way quiet for a desktop, & super-fast. Will have it hooked up to second monitor soon. #
- At the Schramsberg winery in Napa, the company's riddler, Ramon Viera, reportedly does his best bottle twirls to two beats: salsa and tango. #
- Morning date with Ubuntu, not the operating system. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Jose: "Marc, holy smokes. I just realized you did a write up on this. My deepest and most sincere gratitudes and..."
jimmy kipple sound: "but but but what was the song? "
Mia Zabelka: "Thank you for the review. Thank you for the review! "
Rutger Zuydervelt: "Hi. Thanks for the review. Just a small thing, but memo’s piece is called..."
Aniket Roy: "Really very thoughtful. Sounds fun and worth a try at least. "
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0296 / Clustered Primes / Make music inspired by a prime-number query initiated by novelist Robin Sloan. • 0295 / Disregard Echoes / Make music inspired by a haiku, reflecting on Australian history. • 0294 / Offline Status / Pay tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil by turning his spoken words into music. • 0293 / Emerge/Immerse / Make music for Paige Dansinger's Palmyra 3D/VR images, paying tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil. • 0292 / Eclipse Music / In coordination with St. Louis Art Hack Day, make some solar-inspired tunes.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice