- Reformatting old hard drives from FAT 32 to NTFS, which every time I look at it seems to read "NSFW." #
- Love Brian Eno/Peter Schmidt's Oblique Strategies, @Oblique_Chirps on Twitter, but "What would make this really successful?" seems unhelpful #
- Morning sounds, far to near: traffic (whoosh), typing (percussive), fridge (hum), hard drive (whir), ice cubes (crackling). #
- Make that: Steely Dan the Automatori Amos Deftones on Tail L Cool Jay ZZ Top #improbablebandcollaborations #
- Pan Sonic Youth Brigade #improbablebandcollaborations #
- Tori Amos Def #improbablebandcollaborations #
- Ramen two nights in a row — not so shabby. Katana-ya's is, I think, the very best in San Francisco. #
- Re-reading novel Down and Out by @doctorow in advance of Monday's artsjournal.com/gap discussion of Whuffie book by @missrogue #
- if you're really lucky, while you walk down the street with @rjdj running on your iPod Touch, you'll come upon a trumpet-playing busker. #
- There should be a movie whose score is simply a creative employment of @rjdj processing other sounds (dialog, foley) in the film. #
- Of the 16 music-related apps on my iPod Touch, the one I use most is @rjdj, a set of realtime processes that turn the world into sound art. #
- If you Twitter it's #followfriday: field-recordist Aaron @quiet Ximm & experimental collective @thecentrifuge & cartoonist @dylanhorrocks #
- Just experimented with @hootsuite — allows scheduled Twitter posts. Neat, but I think I'll maintain the illusion this is all "realtime." #
- Streaming-only new-classical music: Daniel Bernard Roumain (violin), DJ Scientific (laptop/CDs), Del Sol String Quartet: http://is.gd/1JwO6 #
- Former head of one of my favorite classical labels (CRI) wrote about state of record labels, & asked me about netlabels: http://is.gd/1JtDF #
- RIP, Yellow Submarine illustrator Heinz Edelmann (b. 1934). I didn't know he'd taught one of my heroes, Christoph Niemann http://is.gd/1IWsq #
- Really wishing there were Mac freeware like YamiPod that worked smoothly with the iPod Touch. Perhaps there is and I'm just not aware of it. #
- Check out http://ghostly.com/discovery for free iPhone/Touch app from the label Ghostly. Full catalog streams, sorted by mood, tempo, etc. #
- Afternoon sounds: old-style phone ring initiates moment, then voices below, typing ahead and behind, and the attenuated whir of the printer. #
- Just noticed the Venetian Snares banner on the cubicle wall of the character McGee on the TV show NCIS. #
- Sudden urge to get my TRS-80 out of my parents' attic. Not sure why. Wonder if it would still turn on. #
- Just purchased my first Kindle book ($9.99 seemed high, but convenient) for my iPod Touch, and loaded free epubs into the Touch app Stanza. #
- Local college radio just played lengthy set of Buddy Holly. On our rattly "earthquake-kit" radio, it seemed broadcast from the past. #
- Watching blockbusters on a small television. #
- Got a little microphone for my iPod Touch, meaning I can now fiddle with Curtis (the granular-synth tool) and RjDj, among other audio-games. #
- The Joy of Cron: Watching the #lastfm weekly faves pop up simultaneously for numerous people I follow via Twitter. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Bob Perdue: "Delightful. I was Hal Alles’ officemate briefly at Bell Labs (Murray Hill, NJ) when he hired into..."
Ricardo Talaia: "Hi Marc, Very interesting podcast and selection… And great timeline comments about each..."
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0281 / Pattern Interruption / Create a pattern, loop it, and intersperse alterations. • 0280 / 20170514 / Celebrate the 70th birthday of a Junto member. • 0279 / Word Interiorities / Dissect the sonic properties of a single spoken word. • 0278 / MacConnel’s Jingle / Interpret a work of contemporary art as a graphically notated score. • 0277 / Chew Concrète / Make music inspired by C. Reider's Chew Cinders album procedures.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice