- Gym music: all that equipment noise, cycled through @rjdj — and then the new Vladislav Delay. #
- Probably last human on Earth to see 2nd Transformers movie. Sound design is insane: dense as Moulin Rouge!, but all industrial noise. #
- Bruce Sterling — @bruces — has anointed an object with a story for @significobs http://is.gd/1WAyY #
- Enjoying new Vladislav Delay album Tummaa. Pretty much first non-generative music I've listened to this week. Been deep in @rjdj on my iPod. #
- If you Twitter it's #followfriday: sound artist @christofmigone & interactive app @rjdj — latter getting cool upgrade: http://bit.ly/2544IE #
- Luggage Store Gallery tonight: Laptops, drums, more. #
- Evening sounds: computer buzzing, distant typing, fridge hum, laundry next door (way muffled), minimal car and bus activity… #
- Embarking on daily bus ride. Wanna hear new Vladislav Delay but will end up enjoying transformed environmental sounds through @rjdj again. #
- Finally getting stuff uploaded to flickr, mostly tagged "soundart": http://flickr.com/photos/disquietpxl #
- Do musicians need Twitter (& the like) to survive? We're discussing @missrouge's Whuffie book & @doctorow's original: http://is.gd/1RNYF #
- RIP, George Russell (b. 1923), third-steam jazz magnet and magnate: http://is.gd/1RkDK #
- Back from @classicalrev show. Cool organization, dropping classical acts into unlikely venues. Heard some Telemann, had a beer. #
- Tonight out in San Francisco's Richmond District, @classicalrev is playing a classical show at Bazaar Cafe. Wonder what's on the program. #
- Great San Francisco gallery New Langton is in financial trouble. Details, and an opportunity to pitch in, at http://www.newlangtonarts.org. #
- Group discussion of book Whuffie Factor (about social capital) by @missrouge at http://artsjournal.com/gap. We're applying it to the arts. #
- RIP, Merce Cunningham (b. 1919): http://is.gd/1OV89 RT @saraivry #
- Morning sounds: foghorns and ice cubes, hard drive and garbage truck. #
- Did a fresh OS reinstall on my five-year-old laptop, and now it's all speedy. Imagine that. #
- Thanks to @michaelgregoire & @eleventhvolume & Prehab, I know to look at bottom of the iTunes screen for album's length when it's selected. #
- Stupid question of the day: How does one view in iTunes the overall length of a given album? #
- When I wake to see two hourly @oblique_chirps in a row, I realize I don't follow enough Twitter accounts on the other side of the world. #
- While I reset my wireless router another round of The @rhawtin Drinking Game began. He's already played AGA (& REM?). My money on Alva Noto. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 29, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0499 / Out of the Landscape / The Assignment: Record a piece of music in which a sound emerges from a field recording.
• 0498 / Sonic Entomologist / The Assignment: Create a new hybrid insect from the sound of two different insects.
• 0497 / Benjamin's Glass / The Assignment: Pay tribute to Benjamin Franklin and his armonica
• 0496 / Isolation Room / The Assignment: Create new music around one strand of something you made in the past.
• 0495 / Protip Etude / The Assignment: Share a tip for making music or working with sound, and record a track that employs it.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 499 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod touch junto live-performance live performance mesostic modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments