- Saturday morning sounds: hard drives, paper shuffling, refrigerator. #
- Just noticed the September 2009 issue of @dwell singles out the Technics SL-1200 turntable as a prime example of good, longstanding design. #
- If you Twitter it's #followfriday: Texan exotica beatcrafter @dbernalmusic & legendary musician @ryuichisakamoto — also in æ—¥æœ¬èªž @skmt09 #
- Morning sounds: shower, hard drive, plane. Nothing like summer fog to blanket and muffle noises. Always odd when there's fog but no foghorn. #
- If there isn't already an 8-bit electro-pop cover band called the Molly Ringtones, today would be a good day to form one. #
- Video of Alva Noto v. Japanese vending machine bleeds from mundane into magically mechanical and back http://is.gd/25H5w — RT @djrupture #
- RIP, director John Hughes, multiplex-DJ of my adolescence: http://is.gd/25tn9 #
- Was more excited by Radiohead tribute to Harry Patch when I thought it was for Harry Partch: http://is.gd/23MX5 #
- New Buddha Machine”“like loop box, with gothy overtones, literally and figuratively: http://bit.ly/1nUEIv — RT @buddhamachine #
- Afternoon sounds: footsteps, laughter, printer, techno*, traffic, typing. *Techno from CD boombox on chest of cyclist outside window. #
- It's my birthday, & pretty much the only thing I want/need is someone to make USB (or Bluetooth) keyboards work with Android phones. #
- House next door is for sale. New neighbors, new sounds. #
- Don't think any scifi I read when I was young correctly predicted just how much scifi there'd be in the future. #
- RIP, rapper Baatin (b. Titus Glover, 1974), of the great Slum Village: http://is.gd/1Z6Ff — RT @whyarcka #
- Entrance to King Tut exhibit at @deyoungmuseum is tomb-quiet, except for a dozen audio-tour devices, all whispering slightly out of sync. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 29, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0500 / Humming to Your Selves / The Assignment: Play a tune by yourself and as if by two people whom you invent.
• 0499 / Out of the Landscape / The Assignment: Record a piece of music in which a sound emerges from a field recording.
• 0498 / Sonic Entomologist / The Assignment: Create a new hybrid insect from the sound of two different insects.
• 0497 / Benjamin's Glass / The Assignment: Pay tribute to Benjamin Franklin and his armonica
• 0496 / Isolation Room / The Assignment: Create new music around one strand of something you made in the past.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 500 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod touch junto live-performance live performance mesostic modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments