- Saturday morning sounds: hard drives, paper shuffling, refrigerator. #
- Just noticed the September 2009 issue of @dwell singles out the Technics SL-1200 turntable as a prime example of good, longstanding design. #
- If you Twitter it's #followfriday: Texan exotica beatcrafter @dbernalmusic & legendary musician @ryuichisakamoto — also in æ—¥æœ¬èªž @skmt09 #
- Morning sounds: shower, hard drive, plane. Nothing like summer fog to blanket and muffle noises. Always odd when there's fog but no foghorn. #
- If there isn't already an 8-bit electro-pop cover band called the Molly Ringtones, today would be a good day to form one. #
- Video of Alva Noto v. Japanese vending machine bleeds from mundane into magically mechanical and back http://is.gd/25H5w — RT @djrupture #
- RIP, director John Hughes, multiplex-DJ of my adolescence: http://is.gd/25tn9 #
- Was more excited by Radiohead tribute to Harry Patch when I thought it was for Harry Partch: http://is.gd/23MX5 #
- New Buddha Machine”“like loop box, with gothy overtones, literally and figuratively: http://bit.ly/1nUEIv — RT @buddhamachine #
- Afternoon sounds: footsteps, laughter, printer, techno*, traffic, typing. *Techno from CD boombox on chest of cyclist outside window. #
- It's my birthday, & pretty much the only thing I want/need is someone to make USB (or Bluetooth) keyboards work with Android phones. #
- House next door is for sale. New neighbors, new sounds. #
- Don't think any scifi I read when I was young correctly predicted just how much scifi there'd be in the future. #
- RIP, rapper Baatin (b. Titus Glover, 1974), of the great Slum Village: http://is.gd/1Z6Ff — RT @whyarcka #
- Entrance to King Tut exhibit at @deyoungmuseum is tomb-quiet, except for a dozen audio-tour devices, all whispering slightly out of sync. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Jose: "Marc, holy smokes. I just realized you did a write up on this. My deepest and most sincere gratitudes and..."
jimmy kipple sound: "but but but what was the song? "
Mia Zabelka: "Thank you for the review. Thank you for the review! "
Rutger Zuydervelt: "Hi. Thanks for the review. Just a small thing, but memo’s piece is called..."
Aniket Roy: "Really very thoughtful. Sounds fun and worth a try at least. "
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0296 / Clustered Primes / Make music inspired by a prime-number query initiated by novelist Robin Sloan. • 0295 / Disregard Echoes / Make music inspired by a haiku, reflecting on Australian history. • 0294 / Offline Status / Pay tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil by turning his spoken words into music. • 0293 / Emerge/Immerse / Make music for Paige Dansinger's Palmyra 3D/VR images, paying tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil. • 0292 / Eclipse Music / In coordination with St. Louis Art Hack Day, make some solar-inspired tunes.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice