- My two favorites @mocalosangeles: Christian Marclay's 16-channel video http://is.gd/2V232 & Ai Weiwei's 10-plus video http://is.gd/2V27p #
- Checking out the "social network" Firefox plug-in @yoono. So far, so good. Definitely saves on simultaneous screens/tabs. Kinda elegant. #
- Saturday morning sounds: this early, it's just the fridge through one wall, and the hard drive below me. Maybe geese, a bus, or a car soon. #
- Video of augmented audio on a train — great example of why the iPhone app @rjdj is so great: http://flic.kr/p/6Rs8jc RT @rjdj @revdancatt #
- Best description of "feedback" I've read recently was in an article not about sound but about economics: http://is.gd/2Q62u (nytimes.com) #
- Listening to a Basic Channel compilation, which I could easily have been convinced, while cross Market Street, was in fact @rjdj in action. #
- Nice morning audio synchronism: geese commuting overhead, just as the electric toothbrush sounds its didgeridoo wail. #
- Realizing that the Tuesday air-raid siren here in San Francisco must emanate from a spot much closer to where I work than to where I live. #
- Yow — Joan La Barbara is among the musicians at this year's San Francisco Electronic Music Festival, September 16 – 19: http://is.gd/2LkNu #
- Field recordists & phonographers, @alexismadrigal has started a locative-sound project @HearThisWorld and http://HearThisWorld.tumblr.com/. #
- Afternoon sounds: typing, voices below, footsteps, printer buzz, distant & limited traffic, air plane, a dozen hard drives in choral unison. #
- Just listened to my own house. Put AC/DC on stereo; went to showing at house next door. Couldn't hear a thing. Realtor said, "Rock out." #
- Sunday morning sounds: foghorns, hard drives, and the continued silence of the uninhabited single-family home next door. #
- Said the good reverend at tonight's wedding, "The language of love is silence." #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• February 5, 2020: The first session of the 15-week course I teach at the Academy of Art about the role of sound in the media landscape.
• April 15, 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• December 13, 2020: This day marks the 24th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2021: This day marks the 9th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• At least two live group concerts by Disquiet Junto members in the San Francisco Bay Area are in the works for 2020.
• I have liner notes for a musician's solo album and an essay in a book about an art event due out. I'll announce as the release dates come into focus.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0455 / Inner Invertebrate / The Assignment: What does a moment (or a day) in the life of a jellyfish sound like to a jellyfish?
• 0454 / Lsoo Vneg / The Assignment: Encode the name of someone you love into a piece of music.
• 0453 / Dial Up / The Assignment: Imagine the technologically mediated First Contact through sound.
• 0452 / Let's Scream / The Assignment: Get cathartic. Be resilient. Turn your scream into music.
• 0451 / Ursula's Silences / Make music inspired by a line from A Wizard of Earthsea.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 455 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments