- My two favorites @mocalosangeles: Christian Marclay's 16-channel video http://is.gd/2V232 & Ai Weiwei's 10-plus video http://is.gd/2V27p #
- Checking out the "social network" Firefox plug-in @yoono. So far, so good. Definitely saves on simultaneous screens/tabs. Kinda elegant. #
- Saturday morning sounds: this early, it's just the fridge through one wall, and the hard drive below me. Maybe geese, a bus, or a car soon. #
- Video of augmented audio on a train — great example of why the iPhone app @rjdj is so great: http://flic.kr/p/6Rs8jc RT @rjdj @revdancatt #
- Best description of "feedback" I've read recently was in an article not about sound but about economics: http://is.gd/2Q62u (nytimes.com) #
- Listening to a Basic Channel compilation, which I could easily have been convinced, while cross Market Street, was in fact @rjdj in action. #
- Nice morning audio synchronism: geese commuting overhead, just as the electric toothbrush sounds its didgeridoo wail. #
- Realizing that the Tuesday air-raid siren here in San Francisco must emanate from a spot much closer to where I work than to where I live. #
- Yow — Joan La Barbara is among the musicians at this year's San Francisco Electronic Music Festival, September 16 – 19: http://is.gd/2LkNu #
- Field recordists & phonographers, @alexismadrigal has started a locative-sound project @HearThisWorld and http://HearThisWorld.tumblr.com/. #
- Afternoon sounds: typing, voices below, footsteps, printer buzz, distant & limited traffic, air plane, a dozen hard drives in choral unison. #
- Just listened to my own house. Put AC/DC on stereo; went to showing at house next door. Couldn't hear a thing. Realtor said, "Rock out." #
- Sunday morning sounds: foghorns, hard drives, and the continued silence of the uninhabited single-family home next door. #
- Said the good reverend at tonight's wedding, "The language of love is silence." #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 28, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0478 / Collage of Collages / The Assignment: Make a collage that will become part of a larger collage.
• 0477 / Flying Blind / The Assignment: Record a piece of music in which some substantial portion is performed without looking.
• 0476 / IAH Forecast / The Assignment: Here's your next single's cover. Now record it.
• 0475 / Low End (4 of 3) / The Assignment: Remix a trio by doing forensics on its component parts.
• 0474 / Police Action (3 of 3) / The Assignment: Complete a trio by adding a track to an existing duet by two other musicians
And there is a complete list of past projects, 478 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments