- Morning sounds — more cars, fewer birds. Credit the former to the nearby Strictly Hardly Bluegrass festival — kinda ironic. #
- Oh No's recent album Ethiopium now playing #ontheofficestereo — this works well. #
- This is just a shout out to @rackspace for great online-chat tech support for email hosting. #
- Weekend agenda: 23five's Joe Colley & Co. at 21 Grand in Oakland, gallery crawl in San Francisco & Oakland. … Anything else going on? #
- Despite how carefully I whittle my Twitter entries for length and clarity, I still find myself using the word "yeah" three posts in a row. #
- Are ambulance sirens louder than they were twenty years ago, or are peope just more sensitive to — or cautious about — perceived noise? #
- Pandora played Nelly's "Country Grammar." Reveling in its spare beat, wondering if he & Jason "Jay E" Epperson were fans of Tom Hanks' Big. #
- Apparently I have some invitations to Google Wave — if you want one, send me a direct (i.e., private) message to that effect. #
- Evening sounds: an hour after blasting Vladislav Delay's album, my speakers, turned up, emit an insectoid buzz. Outside, buses and chatter. #
- Construction has begun on the alley outside the office — days of free abstract industrial music await us. #
- Vladislav Delay's great new album Tummaa is the subject of the current "MP3 Discussion Group" at Disquiet.com: http://is.gd/3P4mB #
- Feeling vaguely self-conscious, having popped the latest albums by @alarmwillsound and @hecanjog on the office stereo system. #
- Disquiet searches included FSOL, Marclay, Steve Roach, Trevor Paglen and 2 I'm embarrassed to say yielded null: Oum Kaltoum, Craig Colorusso #
- Realizing, with the rise of the emoticon, how infrequently, if ever, I follow a close parenthesis with a colon. #
- Series premiere of SF-based show Trauma included a Nick Lowe song — maybe 'cause he's playing Strictly Hardly Bluegrass Fest this weekend? #
- Score to series premiere of The Good Wife had nice synchronous moments, & definite overtones of the ER score, easing viewer transition. #
- Iggy Pop to Dinah Shore on how Detroit's industrial noise, not Motown, influenced his music: http://bit.ly/xR7QE Thanks, @marieleathem1 #
- Among yesterday's Disquiet.com searches: asano (presumably Koji), longmo, radio transmission, trance, turntable, typewriter, & white noise. #
- Digging new iPhone/Touch app Trope by Brian Eno & Peter Chilvers. A big step forward from their Bloom. More options, less monotonous sound. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 28, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0499 / Out of the Landscape / The Assignment: Record a piece of music in which a sound emerges from a field recording.
• 0498 / Sonic Entomologist / The Assignment: Create a new hybrid insect from the sound of two different insects.
• 0497 / Benjamin's Glass / The Assignment: Pay tribute to Benjamin Franklin and his armonica
• 0496 / Isolation Room / The Assignment: Create new music around one strand of something you made in the past.
• 0495 / Protip Etude / The Assignment: Share a tip for making music or working with sound, and record a track that employs it.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 499 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod touch junto live-performance live performance mesostic modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments