- Morning sounds — more cars, fewer birds. Credit the former to the nearby Strictly Hardly Bluegrass festival — kinda ironic. #
- Oh No's recent album Ethiopium now playing #ontheofficestereo — this works well. #
- This is just a shout out to @rackspace for great online-chat tech support for email hosting. #
- Weekend agenda: 23five's Joe Colley & Co. at 21 Grand in Oakland, gallery crawl in San Francisco & Oakland. … Anything else going on? #
- Despite how carefully I whittle my Twitter entries for length and clarity, I still find myself using the word "yeah" three posts in a row. #
- Are ambulance sirens louder than they were twenty years ago, or are peope just more sensitive to — or cautious about — perceived noise? #
- Pandora played Nelly's "Country Grammar." Reveling in its spare beat, wondering if he & Jason "Jay E" Epperson were fans of Tom Hanks' Big. #
- Apparently I have some invitations to Google Wave — if you want one, send me a direct (i.e., private) message to that effect. #
- Evening sounds: an hour after blasting Vladislav Delay's album, my speakers, turned up, emit an insectoid buzz. Outside, buses and chatter. #
- Construction has begun on the alley outside the office — days of free abstract industrial music await us. #
- Vladislav Delay's great new album Tummaa is the subject of the current "MP3 Discussion Group" at Disquiet.com: http://is.gd/3P4mB #
- Feeling vaguely self-conscious, having popped the latest albums by @alarmwillsound and @hecanjog on the office stereo system. #
- Disquiet searches included FSOL, Marclay, Steve Roach, Trevor Paglen and 2 I'm embarrassed to say yielded null: Oum Kaltoum, Craig Colorusso #
- Realizing, with the rise of the emoticon, how infrequently, if ever, I follow a close parenthesis with a colon. #
- Series premiere of SF-based show Trauma included a Nick Lowe song — maybe 'cause he's playing Strictly Hardly Bluegrass Fest this weekend? #
- Score to series premiere of The Good Wife had nice synchronous moments, & definite overtones of the ER score, easing viewer transition. #
- Iggy Pop to Dinah Shore on how Detroit's industrial noise, not Motown, influenced his music: http://bit.ly/xR7QE Thanks, @marieleathem1 #
- Among yesterday's Disquiet.com searches: asano (presumably Koji), longmo, radio transmission, trance, turntable, typewriter, & white noise. #
- Digging new iPhone/Touch app Trope by Brian Eno & Peter Chilvers. A big step forward from their Bloom. More options, less monotonous sound. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Jose: "Marc, holy smokes. I just realized you did a write up on this. My deepest and most sincere gratitudes and..."
jimmy kipple sound: "but but but what was the song? "
Mia Zabelka: "Thank you for the review. Thank you for the review! "
Rutger Zuydervelt: "Hi. Thanks for the review. Just a small thing, but memo’s piece is called..."
Aniket Roy: "Really very thoughtful. Sounds fun and worth a try at least. "
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0296 / Clustered Primes / Make music inspired by a prime-number query initiated by novelist Robin Sloan. • 0295 / Disregard Echoes / Make music inspired by a haiku, reflecting on Australian history. • 0294 / Offline Status / Pay tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil by turning his spoken words into music. • 0293 / Emerge/Immerse / Make music for Paige Dansinger's Palmyra 3D/VR images, paying tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil. • 0292 / Eclipse Music / In coordination with St. Louis Art Hack Day, make some solar-inspired tunes.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice