- Created my first Twitter list: http://twitter.com/disquiet/ambient #
- Weird sensation: blog you once subscribed to via RSS disappeared long ago; URL revived by someone else; and the old RSS feed comes alive. #
- Girl Talk more entertaining if my brain stopped attempting to identify every sample. Also if it was more dense. (The music, not my brain.) #
- Afternoon listening: DJ Zedvantz's seasonal "Death Mix" — Johnny Cash + breakbeats, plus Kid Koala, Jel, & more: http://is.gd/4Gg0i #
- Sounds of the night: The slow screech as bus entirely took the driver-side mirror off of my (parked) car. Streets of San Francisco, indeed. #
- RIP, landscape architect Lawrence Halprin (b. 1916), husband of John Cage collaborator and choreographer Anna Halprin. #
- Happiness is the DJ Krush / Toshinori Kondo album played through a Kaoss Pad's random filter, the BPM matched to half a given track's pulse. #
- Flickr "soundart" tag been great lately: bird + LPs http://is.gd/4BASx / ice records http://is.gd/4BAXL / Aernoudt Jacobs http://is.gd/4BB4E #
- Spent much of the day with the new Tony Allen / Jimi Tenor album of contemporary Afrobeat on repeat. #
- RIP, Maryanne Amacher (b. 1943): installation artist, Tzadik Records act, Ars Electronica winner: http://is.gd/4AW7M http://is.gd/4AWd9 #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2022: This day marks the 26th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2023: This day marked the 11th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• April 16, 2022: I participated in an online "talk show" by The Big Conversation Space (Niki Korth and Clémence de Montgolfier).
• March 11, 2022: I hosted a panel discussion between Mark Fell, Rian Treanor and James Bradbury in San Francisco as part of the Algorithmic Art Assembly (aaassembly.org) at Gray Area (grayarea.org).
• December 28, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marked the 25th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0543 / Technique Check / The Assignment: Share a tip from your method toolbox.
• 0542 / 2600 Club / The Assignment: Make some phreaking music.
• 0541 / 10BPM Techno / The Assignment: Make some snail-paced beats.
• 0540 / 5ive 4our / The Assignment: Take back 5/4 for Jedi time masters Dave Brubeck and Paul Desmond.
• 0539 / Control Breath / The Assignment: Let your slow breathing guide a piece of music.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 543 consecutive weeks to date.