- Evening sounds: footsteps, bus, house rattle due to bus, hard drives, refrigerator, airplane, bum fluorescent bulb. #
- â™« Afternoon audio-stream: Grateful Dead (yes, the Dead) at their most spacey/experimental, titled "Infrared Roses": http://is.gd/4TwIN #
- Reading about composer Carl Stone in the 11/9 New Yorker — part of a story about LA-trotting chowhound Jonathan Gold: http://is.gd/4Tpwp #
- â™« Audiostreams for the afternoon: sneak listen to excerpts from forthcoming @robinrimbaud 'Conversations with the Dead': http://is.gd/4SP9e #
- RIP, Albert Elms (b. 1920), film & TV composer (notably for the trippy Patrick McGoohan thriller series The Prisoner): http://is.gd/4SBDb #
- â™« Afternoon free audio-stream: a 10-minute exercise in glitchy dub from DJ Erase (aka Daniel Troberg): http://is.gd/4RYJh #
- A: "The hum of time." Q: What did Nabokov's unpublished work need to survive before his son felt it was publishable: http://is.gd/4RTD4 #
- Morning sounds, post-sleep/pre-wake: muffled helicopter coming by from distance resembles, for extended time, an off-kilter foghorn. #
- MP3 Discussion Group: Is new John (Ultravox) Foxx & Robin (Cocteau Twins) Guthrie album shoegazeriffic or too new-agey? http://is.gd/4R9J5 #
- Morning sounds, in sequence: alarm (ancient-school hip-hop), alarm (snooze-breeze r&b), refrigerator, garbage truck. #
- Morning sounds: hard drives, shower, free MP3 of Jack Dangers remix of Terry Riley's "In C" — via @richard_kadrey: http://bit.ly/4ApBIR #
- Gym music: a whole lot of Stones Throw Beat Battle renditions. #
- In the mail today, three albums: one LP, one 7", one CD — what year is it? #
5 Most Recent Comments
Jose: "Marc, holy smokes. I just realized you did a write up on this. My deepest and most sincere gratitudes and..."
jimmy kipple sound: "but but but what was the song? "
Mia Zabelka: "Thank you for the review. Thank you for the review! "
Rutger Zuydervelt: "Hi. Thanks for the review. Just a small thing, but memo’s piece is called..."
Aniket Roy: "Really very thoughtful. Sounds fun and worth a try at least. "
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0296 / Clustered Primes / Make music inspired by a prime-number query initiated by novelist Robin Sloan. • 0295 / Disregard Echoes / Make music inspired by a haiku, reflecting on Australian history. • 0294 / Offline Status / Pay tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil by turning his spoken words into music. • 0293 / Emerge/Immerse / Make music for Paige Dansinger's Palmyra 3D/VR images, paying tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil. • 0292 / Eclipse Music / In coordination with St. Louis Art Hack Day, make some solar-inspired tunes.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice