- Please Retweet and Sign this Petition 'Make Apple allow audio file sharing for music apps' – http://301.to/ftv #
- Oh, if you purchase budget earbuds with "extended bass support," that means you end up having to use the reduced-bass setting on your iPod. #
- Currently playing in the kitchen: Chamber Trio for Drip Coffee, Cooling Stainless Steel Kettle, and Fluorescent Bulb (Adagissimo). #
- Starting to get "All Summer in a Day"/"The Long Rain" feeling. When home not sure background noise is precipitation or radio/TV on static. #
- I'd really like to hear a Cake song remixed by Giuseppe Ielasi, especially based on "03" off his Aix album. #
- My Village Voice Pazz & Jop ballot: http://is.gd/6HGYi Same as my year-end top 10 but you can click thru to see who also liked the albums. #
- Does the rain amplify or otherwise funnel the sound of sirens, or is there just that much emergency activity during a downpour? #
- Bought new, inexpensive earbuds (with mic). Cord is fabric, like from old lamp or iron. Thus flexible; less prone than plastic to cracking. #
- Major thunder over San Francisco — thick, deep Ten Commandments thunder. #
- Definite incongruity between the birdsong-based field recordings playing inside, and the bird-less, rain-ready skies outside. #
- Belated RIP, musician Walter J. Carpenter (b. 1982), aka wwcarpen, aka aghost, passed away November 2009. Legacy site: http://is.gd/6s69A #
- Found iPhone. Went to Apple store to get it back to its owner. Genius-bar guy says, "Sure you don't wanna keep it? Goes for a lot on eBay." #
- Bill Fontana environmental sound-art piece at @sfmoma today — but will the free admission make it too difficult to get in? #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2022: This day marks the 26th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2023: This day marked the 11th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• April 16, 2022: I participated in an online "talk show" by The Big Conversation Space (Niki Korth and Clémence de Montgolfier).
• March 11, 2022: I hosted a panel discussion between Mark Fell, Rian Treanor and James Bradbury in San Francisco as part of the Algorithmic Art Assembly (aaassembly.org) at Gray Area (grayarea.org).
• December 28, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marked the 25th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0562 / Sheep Music / The Assignment: Record something to help someone fall asleep.
• 0561 / Samplelicker / The Assignment: Rework environmental sound recordings with Aphex Twin's new software.
• 0560 / Sonic Disambiguation / The Assignment: Help the Wikimedia Foundation develop a sonic logo.
• 0559 / Yes Exit / The Assignment: Compose your personal entrance and exit cues for conference calls.
• 0558 / Chore Progressions / The Assignment: Use a routine activity as the map of a composition.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 562 consecutive weeks to date.