- Reading book Cracked Media (MIT Press) by Caleb Kelly? My cited Oval interview isn't offline, per bibliography. It's at http://is.gd/8Niiz #
- Florida sounds, morning: moving furniture above, distant cars beyond, unfamiliar birds in between. And new netbook's soft hard-drive noise. #
- Belated RIP, Dale Hawkins (b. 1936), whose "Susie Q," as covered by Creedence Clearwater Revival, was an early drone-rock touchstone. #
- Insanely massive MC Escher exhibit at Boca Raton Museum, minus installation score from Orlando 2005 Show. #
- Increasing evidence that the ripples in man-made lakes look more CGI than the ripples in naturally occurring lakes. #
- Gorgeous pinball machines on display at SFO, but since they're not plugged in they look like corpse machines. #
- Breaking in new laptop, Toshiba netbook: 2.5 pounds, insane battery. Runs Ableton OK with a gig of ram. See how well it runs in coming week. #
- First warm day in some time. Windows open. Passing sirens are perfectly in tune with the radio. #
- Anything sound/art-ish happening in Miami (and thereabouts) this coming weekend (Feb 19-22)? #
- Day's word: "clang-tint," type of sonic appeal per HL Mencken, quoted in @nytimes re: pleasure of phrase "cellar door": http://is.gd/8nR1w #
- The Grant Morrison & Frank Quitely run on Batman & Robin: so cinematic, every time I come to the credits page I look for who did the score. #
- Had no idea: DJ Food/Strictly Kev is on @soundcloud. Great, funky Brian Eno mix is at the top of his feed: http://is.gd/8mRtU #
- Morning sounds: the quieter the world, the louder the hard drives. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• February 5, 2020: The first session of the 15-week course I teach at the Academy of Art about the role of sound in the media landscape.
• April 15, 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• December 13, 2020: This day marks the 24th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2021: This day marks the 9th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• At least two live group concerts by Disquiet Junto members in the San Francisco Bay Area are in the works for 2020.
• I have liner notes for a musician's solo album and an essay in a book about an art event due out. I'll announce as the release dates come into focus.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0465 / You Thank / The Assignment: Make a piece of music for someone or something for which you feel thankful.
• 0464 / Blanket Song / The Assignment: Play over a song, and then remove the original.
• 0463 / Making the Gradient / The Assignment: Make a piece of music inspired by the concept of a gradient.
• 0462 / Vade in Pace / The Assignment: Write a short piece of music that gets slower and slower as it proceeds.
• 0461 / Goldilocks Zone / The Assignment: Navigate a sonic space between the hospitable and the inhospitable.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 465 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments