- Reading book Cracked Media (MIT Press) by Caleb Kelly? My cited Oval interview isn't offline, per bibliography. It's at http://is.gd/8Niiz #
- Florida sounds, morning: moving furniture above, distant cars beyond, unfamiliar birds in between. And new netbook's soft hard-drive noise. #
- Belated RIP, Dale Hawkins (b. 1936), whose "Susie Q," as covered by Creedence Clearwater Revival, was an early drone-rock touchstone. #
- Insanely massive MC Escher exhibit at Boca Raton Museum, minus installation score from Orlando 2005 Show. #
- Increasing evidence that the ripples in man-made lakes look more CGI than the ripples in naturally occurring lakes. #
- Gorgeous pinball machines on display at SFO, but since they're not plugged in they look like corpse machines. #
- Breaking in new laptop, Toshiba netbook: 2.5 pounds, insane battery. Runs Ableton OK with a gig of ram. See how well it runs in coming week. #
- First warm day in some time. Windows open. Passing sirens are perfectly in tune with the radio. #
- Anything sound/art-ish happening in Miami (and thereabouts) this coming weekend (Feb 19-22)? #
- Day's word: "clang-tint," type of sonic appeal per HL Mencken, quoted in @nytimes re: pleasure of phrase "cellar door": http://is.gd/8nR1w #
- The Grant Morrison & Frank Quitely run on Batman & Robin: so cinematic, every time I come to the credits page I look for who did the score. #
- Had no idea: DJ Food/Strictly Kev is on @soundcloud. Great, funky Brian Eno mix is at the top of his feed: http://is.gd/8mRtU #
- Morning sounds: the quieter the world, the louder the hard drives. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2022: This day marks the 26th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2023: This day marked the 11th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• April 16, 2022: I participated in an online "talk show" by The Big Conversation Space (Niki Korth and Clémence de Montgolfier).
• March 11, 2022: I hosted a panel discussion between Mark Fell, Rian Treanor and James Bradbury in San Francisco as part of the Algorithmic Art Assembly (aaassembly.org) at Gray Area (grayarea.org).
• December 28, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marked the 25th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0541 / 10BPM Techno / The Assignment: Make some snail-paced beats.
• 0540 / 5ive 4our / The Assignment: Take back 5/4 for Jedi time masters Dave Brubeck and Paul Desmond.
• 0539 / Control Breath / The Assignment: Let your slow breathing guide a piece of music.
• 0538 / Guided Decompression / The Assignment: Get someone from tense to chill.
• 0537 / Penitent Honk / The Assignment: Do sound design for "a missing gesture" of vehicular life.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 541 consecutive weeks to date.