- Rare Outer Richmond night: everyone’s windows are open. Out for walk, it’s all hip-hop & saccharine elevatortronica in Asian & Slavic modes. #
- Afternoon listen: "Instrumental Hip-Hop" @pandora_radio channel. Pete Rock, Krush, Alchemist. Should credit producers, but otherwise great. #
- RIP, Alex Chilton (b. 1950). First concert I saw (in New Orleans) after 911. Everyone sang along. And we froze every time a siren passed. #
- Down at Ocean Beach, where the heavy surf serves as one of nature's great engines of generative sound. #
- No idea why brain had stuck on idea Scott Tuma was Souled American drummer, not guitarist. One of first bands I interviewed professionally. #
- Luc Sante on David Shields: "So what constitutes reality…? It can be as simple as a glitch…a dropped beat." http://is.gd/aLlTz #
- Too much fun. The late J Dilla's slo-mo electro take on Men Without Hats' "Safety Dance." MP3: http://is.gd/aJ90n Info: http://is.gd/aJ91F #
- Down at Ocean Beach, the roar of the surf provides audio accompaniment to the planes that pass mutely overhead. #
- Listening to Oddisee's Traveling Man; noodling how the city names of its 24 tracks align with how they sound. "San Francisco" fares well. #
- Happy Pi Day. Here's a neat way to turn the first 10,000 digits of pi (i.e., 3.14159 …) into a musical sequence: http://is.gd/aF39I #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 28, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0484 / A Movable Heart / The Assignment: Transplant the sounds of Chris Kallmyer's wind chimes to a new location.
• 0483 / Type Set / The Assignment: Use a recording of yourself typing something as the underlying rhythmic track for a piece of music.
• 0482 / Exactly That Gap / The Assignment: Make a musical haiku following instructions from Marcus Fischer.
• 0481 / Capsule Time / The Assignment: Record a time capsule for yourself in the future.
• 0480 / Ongsay Aftcray / The Assignment: Record a piece of music by employing Pig Latin as a technique.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 484 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments