- Rare Outer Richmond night: everyone’s windows are open. Out for walk, it’s all hip-hop & saccharine elevatortronica in Asian & Slavic modes. #
- Afternoon listen: "Instrumental Hip-Hop" @pandora_radio channel. Pete Rock, Krush, Alchemist. Should credit producers, but otherwise great. #
- RIP, Alex Chilton (b. 1950). First concert I saw (in New Orleans) after 911. Everyone sang along. And we froze every time a siren passed. #
- Down at Ocean Beach, where the heavy surf serves as one of nature's great engines of generative sound. #
- No idea why brain had stuck on idea Scott Tuma was Souled American drummer, not guitarist. One of first bands I interviewed professionally. #
- Luc Sante on David Shields: "So what constitutes reality…? It can be as simple as a glitch…a dropped beat." http://is.gd/aLlTz #
- Too much fun. The late J Dilla's slo-mo electro take on Men Without Hats' "Safety Dance." MP3: http://is.gd/aJ90n Info: http://is.gd/aJ91F #
- Down at Ocean Beach, the roar of the surf provides audio accompaniment to the planes that pass mutely overhead. #
- Listening to Oddisee's Traveling Man; noodling how the city names of its 24 tracks align with how they sound. "San Francisco" fares well. #
- Happy Pi Day. Here's a neat way to turn the first 10,000 digits of pi (i.e., 3.14159 …) into a musical sequence: http://is.gd/aF39I #
5 Most Recent Comments
audio pervert: "Try listen to albums like it was … Instead of chasing mindless playlists as background muzak. "
Michi: "I love the artwork. Great guitar picks "
Ian Joyce: "Beautiful as this is to listen to at home – her performance in person is totally absorbing. Her..."
Jens Alfke: "Has anyone made a mirror of this playlist on Apple Music? If not, maybe I will… (i know I can..."
Jason Richardson: "Nice. Reminds me of Barbara Bartos’ soundscape instrument, see https://vimeo.com/barbarab..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• January 2, 2018: This day marks the 6th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• February 7, 2018: Start of the semester for the course I teach on the role of sound in the media landscape at the Academy of Art in San Francisco.
• December 13, 2018: This day marked the 22nd anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
The Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects:
• 0345 / Sample Time / Make your own drum machine sounds, do something with them, and share them.
• 0344 / Careful Symmetries / The Assignment: Explore palindromes in musical form.
• 0343 / Big Pun / The Assignment: What does a musical pun sound like?
• 0342 / In Sea / The Assignment: Record a piece of music in tribute to Terry Riley's In C using only samples of water sounds.
• 0341 / Sample Forensics / The Assignment: Place a fragmentary sample into a natural-seeming setting.
... And there is a complete list of past projects.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice