- Morning sounds: hard drive & ringing in ears. No birds, cars, planes. In the absence of a radio alarm, music in my head: Jane's Addiction. #
- Cool, a new David Holmes score, to Perrier's Bounty, starring Cillian Murphy and Jim Broadbent. #
- Metallica/Megadeth concert? Will the universe implode? Or at least will Dave Mustaine join in for "Seek and Destroy"? thebigfourlive.com #
- Back home after excellent @hecanjog + @heyexit show at the Luggage Store Gallery, part of its long-running every-Thursday concert series. #
- Man, Marc Ribot's in a group called Border Music with Los Lobos' David Hidalgo, & he's covering John Cage with Bernie Worrell and DJ Logic. #
- RIP, Fritz Sennheiser (b. 1912), synonymous with headphones & speakers; @engadget calls for "moment of silence" http://is.gd/chwhF #
- Morning sounds: absence of birds means it's colder than usual; absence of garbage trucks means its early. #
- I don't get to Tokyo as often as I did in the manga years, which is why I love @jetpens — got a box of Signo bits (Cohibas for note-takers) #
- I messed up. The contest in this month's disquiet.com email was to be Fatboy/Byrne/Imelda, but I did the Oval. I'll do Fatboy next month. #
- Dentist's music service played a Christmas song. It gets cold in San Francisco this time of year, but not that cold. #
- RIP, Yvonne Loriod (b. 1924): muse/wife/pianist of Olivier Messiaen (her sister, Jeanne, played the ondes martenot parts) http://is.gd/cg6WM #
- Thanks to Warren Craghead III / @wcraghead for drawing my new Twitter background. More info at http://is.gd/ceDBi #
- Morning sound: I know it's a bird, but it sounds like a tiny steel marble repeatedly being dropped on a hard, cold, tile floor. #
- Duet for woodwind (humming printer) and percussion (light rain). #
- Simon Lott/Beta Collide's 10th track (w/ horn section) joins Despite the Downturn "answer album" to Megan McArdle story http://is.gd/cdcHH #
- Russell Simmons, hip-hop vegan: "My crib, the whole thing’s an altar" http://is.gd/cckzs #fightthetoxins #
- Brian Eno's birthday yesterday, Robert Fripp's today, and Erik Satie's tomorrow. #
- New Disquiet.com e-newsletter next week with contest: David Byrne/Fatboy Slim Imelda Marcos CD. Subscribe here http://ping.fm/nw6s1 #
5 Most Recent Comments
Bob Perdue: "Delightful. I was Hal Alles’ officemate briefly at Bell Labs (Murray Hill, NJ) when he hired into..."
Ricardo Talaia: "Hi Marc, Very interesting podcast and selection… And great timeline comments about each..."
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0281 / Pattern Interruption / Create a pattern, loop it, and intersperse alterations. • 0280 / 20170514 / Celebrate the 70th birthday of a Junto member. • 0279 / Word Interiorities / Dissect the sonic properties of a single spoken word. • 0278 / MacConnel’s Jingle / Interpret a work of contemporary art as a graphically notated score. • 0277 / Chew Concrète / Make music inspired by C. Reider's Chew Cinders album procedures.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice