- Morning sounds: hard drive & ringing in ears. No birds, cars, planes. In the absence of a radio alarm, music in my head: Jane's Addiction. #
- Cool, a new David Holmes score, to Perrier's Bounty, starring Cillian Murphy and Jim Broadbent. #
- Metallica/Megadeth concert? Will the universe implode? Or at least will Dave Mustaine join in for "Seek and Destroy"? thebigfourlive.com #
- Back home after excellent @hecanjog + @heyexit show at the Luggage Store Gallery, part of its long-running every-Thursday concert series. #
- Man, Marc Ribot's in a group called Border Music with Los Lobos' David Hidalgo, & he's covering John Cage with Bernie Worrell and DJ Logic. #
- RIP, Fritz Sennheiser (b. 1912), synonymous with headphones & speakers; @engadget calls for "moment of silence" http://is.gd/chwhF #
- Morning sounds: absence of birds means it's colder than usual; absence of garbage trucks means its early. #
- I don't get to Tokyo as often as I did in the manga years, which is why I love @jetpens — got a box of Signo bits (Cohibas for note-takers) #
- I messed up. The contest in this month's disquiet.com email was to be Fatboy/Byrne/Imelda, but I did the Oval. I'll do Fatboy next month. #
- Dentist's music service played a Christmas song. It gets cold in San Francisco this time of year, but not that cold. #
- RIP, Yvonne Loriod (b. 1924): muse/wife/pianist of Olivier Messiaen (her sister, Jeanne, played the ondes martenot parts) http://is.gd/cg6WM #
- Thanks to Warren Craghead III / @wcraghead for drawing my new Twitter background. More info at http://is.gd/ceDBi #
- Morning sound: I know it's a bird, but it sounds like a tiny steel marble repeatedly being dropped on a hard, cold, tile floor. #
- Duet for woodwind (humming printer) and percussion (light rain). #
- Simon Lott/Beta Collide's 10th track (w/ horn section) joins Despite the Downturn "answer album" to Megan McArdle story http://is.gd/cdcHH #
- Russell Simmons, hip-hop vegan: "My crib, the whole thing’s an altar" http://is.gd/cckzs #fightthetoxins #
- Brian Eno's birthday yesterday, Robert Fripp's today, and Erik Satie's tomorrow. #
- New Disquiet.com e-newsletter next week with contest: David Byrne/Fatboy Slim Imelda Marcos CD. Subscribe here http://ping.fm/nw6s1 #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• December 28, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• July 28, 2021: This day marked the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0511 / Freeze Tag / The Assignment: Consider freezing (and thawing) as a metaphor for music production.
• 0510 / Cold Turkey / The Assignment: Record one last track with a piece of music equipment before passing it on.
• 0509 / The Long Detail / The Assignment: Create a piece of music with moments from a preexisting track.
• 0508 / Germane Shepard / The Assignment: Use the Shepard tone to create a piece of music.
• 0507 / In DD's Key of C / The Assignment: Make music with 10 acoustic instrument samples all in a shared key.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 511 consecutive weeks to date.