- Flying to LAX out of SFO, which means missing the opportunity to check out the sound-art installation at the San Jose airport. #
- When the fog is this thick, and no fog horns are to be heard, the question lingers in the air: Is it so thick it's muffling them? #
- Nice way to end the evening: found a used copy of Bernhard Leitner's Sound:Space (Cantz, 1998) at Green Apple. #
- Sucker for directors who score their films? The twins Ranju and Sanjit Majumdar made @determinism — Ranju did the music: http://is.gd/duKnw #
- 17: Number of anechoic chambers at Apple for cell/device testing per current press conference http://is.gd/duyyd Look like time machines #
- Comics writers/artists who make/record/think-smart-re: music @wcraghead @robotdancerobot @warrenellis @mmaddencomics Who am I missing? #ff #
- Some days Twitter lists my location: Outer Richmond. Some days it lists it: Central Richmond. Does it depend on how hard the wind's blowing? #
- Enough foghorn action this morning to suggest a bagpipe factory had sprouted in the Presidio. #
- Listening to the sound of the city & detailing the critique of language in the novella Cosmopolis (2003) by Don DeLillo: http://is.gd/dtwF1 #
- Footage of live performance of Hans Zimmer's score to Inception, featuring (no kidding) guitarist Johnny Marr http://is.gd/dtkY8 #
- Speaking of e-mailing lists, currently experimenting with moving the Disquiet.com newsletter (1135 members) from Mailman to Google Groups. #
- Listening for vestiges of Latin Playboys in the forthcoming Los Lobos album, Tin Can Trust. #
- Freeware Win7 shout-out to ResophNotes/Simple-note, Input-Director, MaxTo, AVG, Volumouse, Filezilla, LiveSync, Songbird, Evernote, DarkRoom #
- I'm out and about, but let's see if @richard_kadrey does RT @JDKun: Have pdf of or link to Ballard's "The Sound-Sweep" handy? #
- Given my manga years, was happy my old ReadComicsInPublic.net URL is now owned by Japanese firm, until I saw it's just a robo-spam-site now. #
- Morning sounds: Neighborhood is especially quiet now & three rooms have hard drives running. It's like a white-noise sound-art installation. #
- If I could select the next act after Throbbing Gristle (i.e., Gristleism) to get the @buddhamachine treatment, it'd be Lovesliescrushing #
- Researching relation between @ascap & @bmi & @cesac and club owners for story about @creativecommons — tactics at times are darkly comedic. #
- RIP, Harvey Pekar (b.1939). With whom hasn't he fought? He slammed the phone on me when I was at Pulse! in the early '90s. A badge of honor. #
- Details on new Shane Carruth (Primer) film, A Topiary: http://is.gd/dp6MO And the welcome addition of fake-Carruth Twitter: @itsshanecarruth #
- With shades drawn, hard not to imagine young children might think sanitation trucks are darkly magical machines of combustion and activity. #
- A Monday morning without an alarm is a nice thing. Still, up by 6am, listening and typing. #
- The DVD I'm about to watch is for "entertainment purposes only." Does that mean watching it critically is a breach of the user agreement? #
- Is there a sophistry filter for @wordpress comments? #futurefeature #
- Morning sounds: suspiciously numerous buses; Tivo hard drive coyly ticking away (no doubt jealous of District B13 Ultimatum DVD I rented). #
5 Most Recent Comments
Ricardo Talaia: "Hi Marc, Very interesting podcast and selection… And great timeline comments about each..."
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0281 / Pattern Interruption / Create a pattern, loop it, and intersperse alterations. • 0280 / 20170514 / Celebrate the 70th birthday of a Junto member. • 0279 / Word Interiorities / Dissect the sonic properties of a single spoken word. • 0278 / MacConnel’s Jingle / Interpret a work of contemporary art as a graphically notated score. • 0277 / Chew Concrète / Make music inspired by C. Reider's Chew Cinders album procedures.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice