- If R. Murray Shafer led the White Stripes, it might sound like the trailer for the film Sound of Noise: http://is.gd/e7yci Gear-shift melody #
- First morning birdsong in week. Farmer logic points to a non-wintry day. Of course, it was just one bird. And it isn't singing any longer. #
- New @touchmusic podcast (after 50-plus of field recordings & music derived therefrom) is a short story by Ian R. MacLeod: http://is.gd/e6QTl #
- New Gidon Kremer (De Profundis, out 9/14) includes PÃ¤rt, Piazzolla, a Nyman theme from Peter Greenaway's Drowning by Numbers, & more. #
- â™« Afternoon ambience: "p jÃ¸rgensen – astoria (Chris Herbert remix, excerpt)" — i.e., by @cjherbert — stream: http://is.gd/e6teR #
- Belated RIP, South Africa sax-ist Robbie Jansen (b. 1949), among other things sideman of Abdullah Ibrahim (Dollar Brand) http://is.gd/e6kVv #
- The title track off the forthcoming Bad Plus CD, Never Stop, is like how Moby hears Nina Simone, and I mean that in a good way. #
- Hoping DJ Premier's tracks for the new Kanye album sample "The Hammond Song," or something off Evening Star or Darryl Hall's Sacred Songs. #
- Rabbinical wisdom: "They made a lot of noise, like a penny in a can; shake it, and it makes a lot of noise." http://is.gd/e69xL #
- Zimmer on Nolan's intent with the transformed Ã‰dith Piaf theme in Inception: "like huge foghorns over a city" http://is.gd/e660P #
- What seemed like a foghorn turns out to be a plane passing low, its fuselage an aerodynamic didgeridoo. #
- "Dreamcrasher, With Brady Hammock" on @awl is like if Philip K. Dick had rewritten Sweet Smell of Success http://bit.ly/cG36x6 #
- Morning music: John Zorn's Alhambra Love Songs — if they make new Peanuts cartoons, the soundtrack music has been written and recorded. #
- I love how the auto-location in the @twitter web interface switches back & forth between Central & Outer Richmond. #quantumliquifaction #
- The @guardiannews prints letter addressing absence of Louis Andriessen from its Willem Breuker obituary: http://is.gd/e4SRt #
- Ah, not the dryer going crazy; drilling on the street a block down. #
- A @serial_consign tweet made me think of this: If anyone out there's teaching sound-art classes, I'd love to see your syllabus. #
- â™« Scott Johnson's music traces the shape of speech. There are few composers I wish were more prolific: http://is.gd/e4yEn @newmusicbox #
- Pondering how un-neutral net will prioritize writing about sounds of refrigerators & interviews with people whose records sell in the 1000s. #
- Love when a craigslist search for Nexus One brings up someone trying to sell their comic-book collection. #
- Morning sounds: sanitation & public transportation, no birds. I may have to start playing birdsong MP3s if this uber-chilly summer keeps up. #
- Why does @twitter think my location is San Leandro, deep in the East Bay, when I'm in the Richmond District, 2 blocks from Golden Gate Park? #
- The bathroom at @frjtz plays language tapes, I guess to help us get the Belgian part of the fries. Now that's commercial sound art. #
- Despite how nifty all these smartphones are, none have made me more interested in talking on the phone. #
- Glacial ambience: We're discussing the @_type re-release of Thomas KÃ¶ner's Permafrost: http://is.gd/e0C35 Full album of streaming for free. #
- Cartoonist Richard Sala has posted a comic I commissioned from him for Pulse! back in 1994. Movie-score fans will enjoy http://is.gd/e0sFV #
- Headed to Sactown for the day. #
- Just picked up a ticket to see John Zorn & Terry Riley playing as a duo at Yoshi's on August 26, 8pm. Man, am I looking forward to this. #
- Fave @firefox addons: ChatZilla, Delicious bookmarks, Fission (URL mouseover + load statusbar), Hide Find Bar, Screengrab, Split Browser. #
- Congrats to Paul Clipson, one of Film Comment's "25 filmmakers for the 21st century": http://bit.ly/cMh4pw via @studentsofdecay #
- Putting the "hush" in "hush money." When one trade's physical-ecology green for acoustic-ecology pollution: http://is.gd/dWF8y #windfarm #
- Morning sounds: a moirÃ© lattice of high-pitched whir produced in tandem by the refrigerator and the Tivo machine. #
- Further convinced the two most important household-care products are (1) generalized cleansing agent & (2) subscriptions to museum podcasts. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Jose: "Marc, holy smokes. I just realized you did a write up on this. My deepest and most sincere gratitudes and..."
jimmy kipple sound: "but but but what was the song? "
Mia Zabelka: "Thank you for the review. Thank you for the review! "
Rutger Zuydervelt: "Hi. Thanks for the review. Just a small thing, but memo’s piece is called..."
Aniket Roy: "Really very thoughtful. Sounds fun and worth a try at least. "
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0296 / Clustered Primes / Make music inspired by a prime-number query initiated by novelist Robin Sloan. • 0295 / Disregard Echoes / Make music inspired by a haiku, reflecting on Australian history. • 0294 / Offline Status / Pay tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil by turning his spoken words into music. • 0293 / Emerge/Immerse / Make music for Paige Dansinger's Palmyra 3D/VR images, paying tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil. • 0292 / Eclipse Music / In coordination with St. Louis Art Hack Day, make some solar-inspired tunes.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice