- If R. Murray Shafer led the White Stripes, it might sound like the trailer for the film Sound of Noise: http://is.gd/e7yci Gear-shift melody #
- First morning birdsong in week. Farmer logic points to a non-wintry day. Of course, it was just one bird. And it isn't singing any longer. #
- New @touchmusic podcast (after 50-plus of field recordings & music derived therefrom) is a short story by Ian R. MacLeod: http://is.gd/e6QTl #
- New Gidon Kremer (De Profundis, out 9/14) includes PÃ¤rt, Piazzolla, a Nyman theme from Peter Greenaway's Drowning by Numbers, & more. #
- ♫ Afternoon ambience: "p jørgensen – astoria (Chris Herbert remix, excerpt)" — i.e., by @cjherbert — stream: http://is.gd/e6teR #
- Belated RIP, South Africa sax-ist Robbie Jansen (b. 1949), among other things sideman of Abdullah Ibrahim (Dollar Brand) http://is.gd/e6kVv #
- The title track off the forthcoming Bad Plus CD, Never Stop, is like how Moby hears Nina Simone, and I mean that in a good way. #
- Hoping DJ Premier's tracks for the new Kanye album sample "The Hammond Song," or something off Evening Star or Darryl Hall's Sacred Songs. #
- Rabbinical wisdom: "They made a lot of noise, like a penny in a can; shake it, and it makes a lot of noise." http://is.gd/e69xL #
- Zimmer on Nolan's intent with the transformed Ã‰dith Piaf theme in Inception: "like huge foghorns over a city" http://is.gd/e660P #
- What seemed like a foghorn turns out to be a plane passing low, its fuselage an aerodynamic didgeridoo. #
- "Dreamcrasher, With Brady Hammock" on @awl is like if Philip K. Dick had rewritten Sweet Smell of Success http://bit.ly/cG36x6 #
- Morning music: John Zorn's Alhambra Love Songs — if they make new Peanuts cartoons, the soundtrack music has been written and recorded. #
- I love how the auto-location in the @twitter web interface switches back & forth between Central & Outer Richmond. #quantumliquifaction #
- The @guardiannews prints letter addressing absence of Louis Andriessen from its Willem Breuker obituary: http://is.gd/e4SRt #
- Ah, not the dryer going crazy; drilling on the street a block down. #
- A @serial_consign tweet made me think of this: If anyone out there's teaching sound-art classes, I'd love to see your syllabus. #
- ♫ Scott Johnson's music traces the shape of speech. There are few composers I wish were more prolific: http://is.gd/e4yEn @newmusicbox #
- Pondering how un-neutral net will prioritize writing about sounds of refrigerators & interviews with people whose records sell in the 1000s. #
- Love when a craigslist search for Nexus One brings up someone trying to sell their comic-book collection. #
- Morning sounds: sanitation & public transportation, no birds. I may have to start playing birdsong MP3s if this uber-chilly summer keeps up. #
- Why does @twitter think my location is San Leandro, deep in the East Bay, when I'm in the Richmond District, 2 blocks from Golden Gate Park? #
- The bathroom at @frjtz plays language tapes, I guess to help us get the Belgian part of the fries. Now that's commercial sound art. #
- Despite how nifty all these smartphones are, none have made me more interested in talking on the phone. #
- Glacial ambience: We're discussing the @_type re-release of Thomas Köner's Permafrost: http://is.gd/e0C35 Full album of streaming for free. #
- Cartoonist Richard Sala has posted a comic I commissioned from him for Pulse! back in 1994. Movie-score fans will enjoy http://is.gd/e0sFV #
- Headed to Sactown for the day. #
- Just picked up a ticket to see John Zorn & Terry Riley playing as a duo at Yoshi's on August 26, 8pm. Man, am I looking forward to this. #
- Fave @firefox addons: ChatZilla, Delicious bookmarks, Fission (URL mouseover + load statusbar), Hide Find Bar, Screengrab, Split Browser. #
- Congrats to Paul Clipson, one of Film Comment's "25 filmmakers for the 21st century": http://bit.ly/cMh4pw via @studentsofdecay #
- Putting the "hush" in "hush money." When one trade's physical-ecology green for acoustic-ecology pollution: http://is.gd/dWF8y #windfarm #
- Morning sounds: a moiré lattice of high-pitched whir produced in tandem by the refrigerator and the Tivo machine. #
- Further convinced the two most important household-care products are (1) generalized cleansing agent & (2) subscriptions to museum podcasts. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 28, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0484 / A Movable Heart / The Assignment: Transplant the sounds of Chris Kallmyer's wind chimes to a new location.
• 0483 / Type Set / The Assignment: Use a recording of yourself typing something as the underlying rhythmic track for a piece of music.
• 0482 / Exactly That Gap / The Assignment: Make a musical haiku following instructions from Marcus Fischer.
• 0481 / Capsule Time / The Assignment: Record a time capsule for yourself in the future.
• 0480 / Ongsay Aftcray / The Assignment: Record a piece of music by employing Pig Latin as a technique.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 484 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments