- Bill Fontana will transform @sfmoma bridge w/ "hypersonic speakers and vibration sensors that respond to visitors’ footsteps." Opens Nov 20. #
- Want a push-poller to hang up the phone? Ask who is paying for the "research." (Speaking of which, surveillance exhibit @sfmoma on 10/30.) #
- Construction solo: One lone, invisible hammer slap-echoes crosswise up and down the intersecting streets. #
- The three Palm devices (IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Clie SJ20) in my closet temper my desire to upgrade from a G1 to a Droid 2, at least somewhat. #
- When mashups happen in "real" life (aka meatspace): Patti LaBelle joins cast of Fela! on Broadway http://is.gd/egdXo She'll play his mother. #
- Trailer for promising film on "soundtracker" Gordon Hempton, whose recent book sits alongside Keizer's & Prochnik's http://is.gd/egd6J #
- Neu!, Roedelius, & Fujiya & Miyagi all have CDs on Gronland, the label founded by @groenemeyer, who scored Anton Corbjin's The American. #
- Often when I read about a given DJ's ongoing "residency," I instinctively assume they're apprentice medical practitioners by day. #badtvshow #
- Fog horns are out of control tonight. The Phantom of the Opera has put the pedal to the metal. #
- I think of Los Lobos as the band that releases CDs between Latin Playboys CDs. My csindy.com review of Tin Can Trust: http://is.gd/ef27u #
- The sign in the library reads: "Text Only Zone." Presumably that refers to mobile technology and not the institution's holdings. #
- Despite all those James Murphy tunes in Greenberg, the film's overarching musical theme seems to be the act of dramatically truncating songs #
- Soon as I turn off this computer, it's gonna be all the more quiet. #
- Another day listening (mostly) to 1-track CDs: Ãkos Garai (Pilis), Oxide (Chop Shop), Dirac (Phon), & Nilsen/Stilluppsteypa (Passing Out). #
- That previous comment was John Lurie (Lounge Lizards) talking in the sad article about him in the Aug 16 @newyorker issue http://is.gd/ecjGG #
- "There's a spot on Astor Place, near where the cube is, between B'way & Lafayette–a saxophone sounds incredible there at about 6 o'clock." #
- Workmen next door just removed from ground an ancient empty metal drum 1.5x size of my car. That's what the banging has been about. #
- Was just followed by musician whose recent album I was listening to a few hours ago. Maybe my @songbirdteam install has sprung a leak? #
- No, silly @gracenotetweets — it's a Steve Roden 3" CD (Ecstasy Showered) not chapter 17 of disc 7 of Stephen King's Bag of Bones audiobook. #
- This is the Bomb Squad: @shocklee notes @cdmblogs post on Isao Hashimoto's thermonuclear-testing sonification (1945-98) http://is.gd/ebHnX #
- RIP, Jack Parnell (b. 1923), among many other things the (human) bandleader for The Muppet Show. http://is.gd/ebDrd #mahna #mahna #
- I'll be presenting on storytelling (visual + serial, aka comics) at the #planningness conference in Boulder on Sep30/Oct1: planningness.com #
- So, iOS folders can only handle 12 apps despite a pane with room for another 8 & an interface that trained us to swipe across the landscape? #
- Quake hit while listening to Bill Laswell, Toshinori Kondo, & DJ Krush. Now that's some heavy bass. (Also felt by @footage at 5:52pm) #
- Only listened to CDs consisting of 1 track today: Celer Brittle, Terry Riley In C, Brendan Murray Commonwealth, Village Orchestra Sirens … #
- Autofill choices in @soundcloud when listing a track as "8bit": 8bit, 8bitelectronic, 8bits, 8bitish, 8bit*synth*pop #
- "We stared grimly at the radio": Katherine Dunn on listening to boxing in her dad's car while her mom screamed bloody murder. Black Clock 12 #
- Used to think tags would replace genres. Still do, but this morning wonder if it may end up being waveform visualizations that do. #
- Morning sounds: white noise of hard drives & traffic. Then: the beeping of bus slowing to stop while another passes in opposite direction. #
- Car behind me kept honking as I backed up. Turned out to be empty, with an auto-proximity alert. How many beeps to drain the car's battery? #
- I know far too much for my good about the Sprint Samsung Epic 4G and the Verizon Motorola Droid 2. I blame blipverts. #
- Morning sound: a bus that definitely didn't stop for a stop sign. #
- Headed north: 20 miles, and probably as many degrees Fahrenheit; iPod loaded for bear. #
- D'oh! The SFEMF is across town, near Roosevelt's Tamales, but there's a special event at the de Young. No matter; just got my festival pass. #
- The 2010 sfemg.org (Sept 9-11) includes Chowning, Buchla, Mathieu, Trimpin, Hammer, Müller, & Cortini & is walking distance from my house. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 28, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0499 / Out of the Landscape / The Assignment: Record a piece of music in which a sound emerges from a field recording.
• 0498 / Sonic Entomologist / The Assignment: Create a new hybrid insect from the sound of two different insects.
• 0497 / Benjamin's Glass / The Assignment: Pay tribute to Benjamin Franklin and his armonica
• 0496 / Isolation Room / The Assignment: Create new music around one strand of something you made in the past.
• 0495 / Protip Etude / The Assignment: Share a tip for making music or working with sound, and record a track that employs it.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 499 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod touch junto live-performance live performance mesostic modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments