- Gotta love form-emails from music publicists that start, "Dear ," #
- Twitter apps of the stars: @ryuichisakamoto uses @echofon, @chris_carter_ @tweetie, @shocklee @hootsuite, @kronosquartet the web interface. #
- The @facebook film is Fincher/Sorkin but feels like Soderbergh experiment. Anyhow, Reznor/Ross MP3 set just $2.99 http://www.nullco.com/TSN/ #
- Long before @twitter, book-reading as a form of ambient awareness for "forgetful majority" http://is.gd/ffF6y (by James Collins @nytimes) #
- Anyone see a film called La Linea (The Line) with Ray Liotta? Looks a bit like Traffic. I may need to watch, if only for David Torn's score. #
- #ff Some feeds that shouldn't have fewer "followers" than mine: @sfemf @gregdavis @mapmap @npseaver @mariplasma @soundscrapers @carlstone #
- Turning your ashes into an LP puts the "forever" into "perfect sound forever," a true "vinyl resting place" http://www.andvinyly.com/ #
- "The Gentle Hum of Anxiety": a cue from @trent_reznor / Atticus Ross Facebook film score; 5 free MP3s http://nullco.com/TSN via @brandonnn #
- Sound-recycling Organ of Corti wins new-music prize. Congrats to liminal (composer David Prior & architect Frances Crow). http://is.gd/fe8bL #
- Yes, dear, when I was your age, we did use that weird word "and" but we started to use the ampersand around 2009/2010 because it's shorter. #
- Looxcie's "wearable camcorder" always-on earpiece (think Jawbone + video) makes me wanna reread Two-Step by @warrenellis http://is.gd/fdzdA in reply to warrenellis #
- According to Matmos' myspace page, its http://brainwashed.com/matmos/ page will be updated more regularly. Current post on Baltimore fest. #
- Dancing with my two-week-old kid appears to put her to sleep. Who says music is without functional value? #
- Based on "Hamburg Hotel" off the new Underworld, will be listening to a lot more Appleblim and Al Tourettes. #
- Silent-car plot device. Last night on Sons of Anarchy, comment after fugitive is hit by car: "Damn hybrids! Dangerous!" http://is.gd/fc0Ow #
- Name drop of Underworld on Covert Affairs, so close to the release of Barking. Someone's got good timing. #
- Tuesday noon air-raid/emergency-alert alarm in San Francisco almost always triggers Cold War flashback, kindles desire for tinned-meat lunch #
- Continuously misreading "drone war" stories as being extensions of Steve Goodman's Sonic Warfare. #
- Seeking first soundscape @alexismadrigal notes primacy of visual: "Decades when we can see our places, but not hear them" http://is.gd/faCer #
- The incremental rewinds inherent in transcribing an interview always make the process sound like a Scott Johnson composition. #
- ICV2 on digital sales/piracy's role in comics (vs. music). Argues comics, in essence, too small to not grow http://is.gd/faqVF Seems wishful #
- Two time-honored staccato traditions (blippy modular synths, jittery time-lapse photography) yoked by @robotdancerobot http://is.gd/f9vR2 #
- I second this: RT @pheezy I'd love a bookmarklet [to] highlight date/time on a page & it's added to calendar w/ url as description #lazyweb #
- Feels like 90% of the emails from djshadow.com are about designer hoodies, but today brings two free MP3s — when the website isn't overrun. #
- Afternoon chamber music: dishwasher, babbling baby, typing, hard drive, neighbor cleaning house, wind outside, occasional bird/plane/car. #
- Bittersweet audio anecdote: an old reel-to-reel + the hope to hear a father's voice + a demo of the Norelco 100 recorder http://is.gd/f7Jom #
- â™« Afternoon tune: blood-in-the-ear drone + hot-jazz drums = a beat named "Cheat" by @rieces_pieces http://is.gd/f7EkJ #
- Misread this @nytimes headline today as being about music: "Some Ask if Ozawa Is the Force That Japan Needs" http://is.gd/f7cqm #
- Maybe once in a while the foghorns could have a guest DJ? #
- Remain convinced that the @aquariusrecords record-store emailer is one of the best music publications going. #
- "Paying for free" differs from "it pays to be free": @bandcamp to charge for free downloads (over a threshold) via @vuzhmusic @hecanjog #
5 Most Recent Comments
Jose: "Marc, holy smokes. I just realized you did a write up on this. My deepest and most sincere gratitudes and..."
jimmy kipple sound: "but but but what was the song? "
Mia Zabelka: "Thank you for the review. Thank you for the review! "
Rutger Zuydervelt: "Hi. Thanks for the review. Just a small thing, but memo’s piece is called..."
Aniket Roy: "Really very thoughtful. Sounds fun and worth a try at least. "
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0296 / Clustered Primes / Make music inspired by a prime-number query initiated by novelist Robin Sloan. • 0295 / Disregard Echoes / Make music inspired by a haiku, reflecting on Australian history. • 0294 / Offline Status / Pay tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil by turning his spoken words into music. • 0293 / Emerge/Immerse / Make music for Paige Dansinger's Palmyra 3D/VR images, paying tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil. • 0292 / Eclipse Music / In coordination with St. Louis Art Hack Day, make some solar-inspired tunes.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice