- Looked at Rapstar to see if Japan-made game features any DJ Krush (no but there's Premiere, 9th Wonder, Blaze); found this: tweetbattles.com #
- New 75th-birthday edition of Arvo PÃ¤rt’s Tabula Rasa, 200-page hardcover book including score, CD, additional material: http://is.gd/fTfCL #
- Morning sounds: various electric hums, faraway cars in motion, nearby bus, footsteps. #
- Think my parents are at the Magnus Lindberg concert at New York Philharmonic. I'm receiving cellphone jpgs of stage full of junkyard metal . #
- "Filling in crosswords won't make you Walt Mossberg." Fun chalk-graffiti video a friend of mine shot: http://is.gd/fSaZo via @mrscobra #
- [email protected] You'd think if Apple were serious about HTML5 it'd put an iota of its massive coding infrastructure to work on making basic tools. in reply to pbailey #
- Basic answer to "Are there iPad-friendly netlabels?": A direct MP3 link will inelegantly stream; no netlabels seem to have implemented HTML5 #
- RT @osakimandias There is nothing in the world like the sound of a low-bypass jet engine. It's like music for aviation geeks. #fleetweek #
- RT @mmaddencomics On Shannon Wheeler's website you can filter the strips by "penultimate silent panel": http://bit.ly/cG2dRN #
- RT @harkaway Deep night's orchestra; tenuous sirens and dogs, wind in autumn streets. #idontusuallydohaikubutimanewdad via @greatdismal #
- In the future, outdated technology doesn't just become art; art becomes technology. New @tate Muybridgizer app & @newmuseum GysinDream app. #
- Little cold this morning for birds, yet I hear birds. Oh, it's not birds; it's Tiffany Defoe's sax playing through headphones on my floor. #
- AudioGourmet: "Bandcamp saying you have to pay? This means our free download credits ran out. So we have done back up on Internet Archive." #
- Pumpkin ice cream. The dish, straight up; the shop, a medley of industrial refrigeration drones. #
- [email protected] By iPad-friendly I mean netlabels that stream from iPad's Safari with ease the way they do on regular old computer browsers. in reply to hecanjog #
- Anyone have a list handy of iPad-friendly netlabels? #
- My copy of new Lesser/Wobbly/Matmos album has arrived. Now I need to make my way across town to get it. It's like The Warriors, but ambient. #
- My inchoate iPad thoughts: alarmingly closed protocol, novelty-consumerist propensity, poor wifi. And a vibrant tech-art developer community #
- Not sure which is better in Osmos: the potential to become an "Ambient Master," or the title of its "Chief Aesthetic Officer." #ipad #ios #
- Wondering if that poor town saddled with wind-farm noise pollution also "celebrates" Fleet Week. #
- First sonic evidence of Fleet Week, plane rushing overhead like a serrated cloud. #
- Osmos:Bloom::Soderbergh's Solaris:Tarkovsky's Solaris (that's not a criticism) #
- Radio after my own heart: Hugh Levison's 8-minute, 2004 piece about his newborn's "snorts, bangs, clicks, and trumpeting" http://is.gd/fPSGG #
- My brief review of new Bad Plus (Never Stop): no covers (a first), no vocalist (been a while), an addictive title track: http://is.gd/fPPWu #
- When the iPad comes with a front-facing camera, all conversations on it will be Bill Viola videos. #
- Current fave thing to do with iPad is run Circle Cutter in RJ Voyager's Doppelganger and just have it contort the sounds of the home office. #
- Excited @artfagcity "Sound of Art" Kickstarter project now $513 over 10k goal, half a day before funding was to close. http://kck.st/92ElnD #
- We replace one form of pollution with another. Details on "miserable hum of clean energy." http://is.gd/fOhAx #windfarm #sonicemminentdomain #
- What's the word (aside from "ancient") for my feeling whenever I read an ebook that somehow, somewhere, there's a missing paragraph? #
- Listening to new Rhys Chatham album on bus home from Music App Summit. Swabbing networked-media brainspace with monastic post-rock. #mel2010 #
- Those protesters, it seems, aren't talking about digital privacy or tech-monarchic hegemony. Their concern: phone-induced cancer. #mel2010 #
- Protesters outside #mel2010 with signs decrying "FCC/CTIA collusion." #
- Music app, like funny, means different things to different people. Watch gearheads and novelties and content delivery share space. #mel2010 #
- Bln.kr has interesting feedback-prodding engine, getting listener responses to musicians. #mel2010 #
- The name of Dave Stewart's micropayment system appears to be "Famos" (no "u'). #mel2010 #
- Dave Stewart introducing tiered/gradated micropayment system. #mel2010 #
- disquiet: Q: "How long has your music app been in development?" A: "14 hours. Wait, what time is it? 15 hours." #mel2010 #
- Q: "How long has your #musicapp been in development?" A: "14 hours. Wait, what time is it? 15 hours." #
- [email protected] I'll keep an eye out for Rudess/Morph. I really dig his Hexatone, even if at times I feel like I'm playing a sonic RPG #musicapp in reply to rlainhart #
- I guess Billboard calls its conferences "Summits" because "Show'n'Tell" lacks a certain gravitas. #musicapp #
- Headed to Billboard Music App Summit; observe intersection of interactive tech, sound & that less frequent (until recently) factor: populism #
- Would it be too much to ask that electric razors include information about the amplitude and key of their drones? #
- RIP, Art Jarvinen (b. 1956), cofounder of California EAR Unit http://is.gd/fKK2S http://is.gd/fKK3P #
- Much less chatter than expected in advance of tomorrow's Music App Summit. Anything there anyone's particularly looking forward to? #
- ♫ Afternoon tune: industrial drone-craft from Tokyo-based Yasuo Akai http://is.gd/fKCW6 #
- "Sound of Art" LP project by @artfagcity has 61 hours to get last 13.4% of its financial goal: http://kck.st/92ElnD #
- Increasingly aware listening to music with earbuds like eating food only with your tongue, ignoring rest of your mouth @Direwires @Big_Pause #
- Are earbuds and 128kbps streams worse for music (sonically) than AM radio, or just different? #
- Reminders in tonight's Mad Men how lo-fi both television and telephony were in the 1960s. Which is to say, still slightly better than Skype. #
- If he ends up joining the ad business, then Peggy's new-ish boyfriend, Mark, is my current vote for the series' Don DeLillo character. #
- "See that? I kissed you and it got quiet." (From tonight's Mad Men episode, "Chinese Wall.") #
- Love livemetallica.com concert-data detail: "first time in over 17 years…Breadfan…played in Sydney"; photo captions timed to the minute. #
- Great. Bought bit.trip beat, and only later realized it doesn't work on the 2nd-gen iPod Touch. The iTunes store needs a generation filter. #
- Video of @redefrecords visit to garage-record-store is like last scene of Truffaut's Fahrenheit 451 if it was about LPs http://is.gd/fIByj #
- "ambient tremors of unease," per A.O.Scott on @facebook film, means lurking online sinisterness not the Reznor/Ross score http://is.gd/fIAdP #
- Plotting a proper Disquiet.com podcast — should I just host it at archive.org or do people have other suggestions? #
- Motor on the Fisher Price Kick & Play is such a great example of rhythm as drone that if it didn't exist @vuzhmusic would have to invent it. #
- "It's reality. Rough edges are good" Director to reality-TV star on debut Law & Order: Los Angeles episode (with Mark Rothko as deputy DA) #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• December 28, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• July 28, 2021: This day marked the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0511 / Freeze Tag / The Assignment: Consider freezing (and thawing) as a metaphor for music production.
• 0510 / Cold Turkey / The Assignment: Record one last track with a piece of music equipment before passing it on.
• 0509 / The Long Detail / The Assignment: Create a piece of music with moments from a preexisting track.
• 0508 / Germane Shepard / The Assignment: Use the Shepard tone to create a piece of music.
• 0507 / In DD's Key of C / The Assignment: Make music with 10 acoustic instrument samples all in a shared key.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 511 consecutive weeks to date.