- When my two-month-old says "oh" it's the "oh" from opening of the Beatles' "Thank You Girl." #
- Interview with one of my fave producers on non-musicianship: http://is.gd/gLyCo Oh, that's DJ Premier. Here's Brian Eno: http://is.gd/gLy4j #
- Maybe it's just early but UnsilentNight.com has no date for San Francisco. Unsilent Night is like the only holiday I like besides Turkeyday. #
- Afternoon field recording: rain drips in a gallery while hanging a show http://is.gd/gL6e8 from @wcraghead #
- Six degrees of Doctor Wu, aka the Steely Dan Database: http://18.104.22.168/SteelyDanDatabase/ #
- John McLaughlin is apparently sitting in with the Roots tonight on Jimmy Fallon. #tivoalert #
- Nice. The iPad @buddhamachine allows six simultaneous audio streams: http://fb.me/A8cAJ69I #
- Morning sounds: baby hiccups, fridge, hard drives, cars. #
- â™ª Early-evening industrial ambient audio stream: "Fatigue (Adamned Age) Mystified Remix" http://snd.sc/ceDLJ3 #
- Dec @shonenjump announces big reboot for Jan 2010 issue. Can't wait to see it. Almost two years since I left as editor-in-chief. #
- My kid increasingly reminds me of Minoru from the manga Baby and Me. #
- Nearby Vietnamese spot calls banh mi "panini." Dim sum place: zongzi = "Chinese tamales." Are the pelmeni I just had "Russian xiaolongbao"? #
- Track the subtle nuances in Don Draper saying "What?" ("Whuh?" "Wha?" "Whut?") http://is.gd/gIJwe #madmen #
- Looks like next week's MP3 Discussion Group on Disquiet.com will be the new Brian Eno album. #
- Morning sounds: bus slow to stop, hard drives on stun, & (in my head) mishmash of countless Beatles songs I sang baby to sleep w/ last night #
- Noticed I'm using @simplenoteapp more and @evernote less. For text, that is. Use the latter for audio notes a lot, but for text the former. #
- Distant siren to the north and muffled televised newscast from living room (technically the south) conspire to suggest (false) emergency. #
- 2nd or 3rd best thing about Brian Eno self-interview is people who don't get the joke. See comments: http://is.gd/gG4nl http://is.gd/gG4xJ #
- Angry Birds may be funnier with sound off. No grunting, wheezing or cheering. Just a Road Runner desert and much well-timed physical comedy. #
- Hope early visitors for Seeing Orange: Dutch Design Week SF think orange-lit buildings honor Koolhaas, Wanders, Baas & Co http://is.gd/gFT9J #
- If full copy of Put Me in the Zoo were as out of registration as the violet spread, it'd be on a shelf next to Carsten Nicolai's MoirÃ© Index #
- Want to read "Put Me in the Zoo" by Robert Lopshire to my baby. End up explaining what "out of registration" means. #
- Election hangover: wake to find I agree w/ Scalia: "You are asking us to create a whole new prohibition?" http://is.gd/gFCP1 re: vidgame law #
- New Neal Stephenson essay "Atoms of Cognition: Metaphysics in the Royal Society" in Bill Bryson”“edited Seeing Further http://is.gd/gCFmB #
- [email protected] May very well take you up on interview dare. These kick-interface Fisher Price toys are like Dance Dance Revolution for infants. in reply to apfrod #
- Not sure what @michaelpachter means re: Nintendo DS being "under assault" by iOS. They make beautiful music together http://is.gd/gCDNs :) #
- More Rip Van Winkle than Groundhog Day, we wake up and Tipper Gore has returned dressed as Arnold Schwarzenegger http://is.gd/gCD1U #
- Kids in the street banging pots and pans. No, the Travel Channel isn't playing the background. The Giants have won. #
- Non-stop election fund-raising pleas cause PBS pledge-month flashbacks; keep getting audio-visual hallucinations of John Tesh at Red Rocks. #
- Zimoun, sound poet of the DC motor, moves from pastic and metal to the world of cardboard. Video: http://is.gd/gAgdQ #
- First electronic music in baby's heavy rotation is by anonymous chiptune musicians at Fisher Price. #
- Many hours of the day, I get email newsletters from one or another newspaper from somewhere in the world where it is, at that moment, noon. #
- Pre-order up for new @buddhamachine ("generation iii") — with pictures: http://is.gd/gzTc5 Four extended loops, all played on qin (zither). #
- Relieved that @stonesthrow has migrated its Beat Battles to @soundcloud in advance of the shutdown of drop.io. #
- Used to cheers during Giants-Rangers games while out & about. Sense sonic isolation at home. Just checked MLB score for 1st time in my life. #
- Strange 21c commerce hybrid — auditioning hip-hop/r&b instrumentals on YouTube via phone app before purchasing 12"s. #
- RT @pheezy Listening to a variety of late-night hums: power supply, refrigerator, air filter, disk drives and traffic. #eartwit #
- RIP, George Hickenlooper (Factory Girl, Hearts of Darkness) — please say hi to John Linck for me. #
- Hear marching band practice from shopping-mall parking lot: drums echoed, horns muted, timpani piercing. Like a Just Blaze beat, but live. #
- Sold my Technics 1200s, same weekend as rumors float, again, of production stop. #
- [email protected] Morning sounds, yeah, always with the hard drives. I've got to get better at tweeting from my flash-driven phone and iPod Touch. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Jose: "Marc, holy smokes. I just realized you did a write up on this. My deepest and most sincere gratitudes and..."
jimmy kipple sound: "but but but what was the song? "
Mia Zabelka: "Thank you for the review. Thank you for the review! "
Rutger Zuydervelt: "Hi. Thanks for the review. Just a small thing, but memo’s piece is called..."
Aniket Roy: "Really very thoughtful. Sounds fun and worth a try at least. "
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0296 / Clustered Primes / Make music inspired by a prime-number query initiated by novelist Robin Sloan. • 0295 / Disregard Echoes / Make music inspired by a haiku, reflecting on Australian history. • 0294 / Offline Status / Pay tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil by turning his spoken words into music. • 0293 / Emerge/Immerse / Make music for Paige Dansinger's Palmyra 3D/VR images, paying tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil. • 0292 / Eclipse Music / In coordination with St. Louis Art Hack Day, make some solar-inspired tunes.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice