- When my two-month-old says "oh" it's the "oh" from opening of the Beatles' "Thank You Girl." #
- Interview with one of my fave producers on non-musicianship: http://is.gd/gLyCo Oh, that's DJ Premier. Here's Brian Eno: http://is.gd/gLy4j #
- Maybe it's just early but UnsilentNight.com has no date for San Francisco. Unsilent Night is like the only holiday I like besides Turkeyday. #
- Afternoon field recording: rain drips in a gallery while hanging a show http://is.gd/gL6e8 from @wcraghead #
- Six degrees of Doctor Wu, aka the Steely Dan Database: http://18.104.22.168/SteelyDanDatabase/ #
- John McLaughlin is apparently sitting in with the Roots tonight on Jimmy Fallon. #tivoalert #
- Nice. The iPad @buddhamachine allows six simultaneous audio streams: http://fb.me/A8cAJ69I #
- Morning sounds: baby hiccups, fridge, hard drives, cars. #
- â™ª Early-evening industrial ambient audio stream: "Fatigue (Adamned Age) Mystified Remix" http://snd.sc/ceDLJ3 #
- Dec @shonenjump announces big reboot for Jan 2010 issue. Can't wait to see it. Almost two years since I left as editor-in-chief. #
- My kid increasingly reminds me of Minoru from the manga Baby and Me. #
- Nearby Vietnamese spot calls banh mi "panini." Dim sum place: zongzi = "Chinese tamales." Are the pelmeni I just had "Russian xiaolongbao"? #
- Track the subtle nuances in Don Draper saying "What?" ("Whuh?" "Wha?" "Whut?") http://is.gd/gIJwe #madmen #
- Looks like next week's MP3 Discussion Group on Disquiet.com will be the new Brian Eno album. #
- Morning sounds: bus slow to stop, hard drives on stun, & (in my head) mishmash of countless Beatles songs I sang baby to sleep w/ last night #
- Noticed I'm using @simplenoteapp more and @evernote less. For text, that is. Use the latter for audio notes a lot, but for text the former. #
- Distant siren to the north and muffled televised newscast from living room (technically the south) conspire to suggest (false) emergency. #
- 2nd or 3rd best thing about Brian Eno self-interview is people who don't get the joke. See comments: http://is.gd/gG4nl http://is.gd/gG4xJ #
- Angry Birds may be funnier with sound off. No grunting, wheezing or cheering. Just a Road Runner desert and much well-timed physical comedy. #
- Hope early visitors for Seeing Orange: Dutch Design Week SF think orange-lit buildings honor Koolhaas, Wanders, Baas & Co http://is.gd/gFT9J #
- If full copy of Put Me in the Zoo were as out of registration as the violet spread, it'd be on a shelf next to Carsten Nicolai's Moiré Index #
- Want to read "Put Me in the Zoo" by Robert Lopshire to my baby. End up explaining what "out of registration" means. #
- Election hangover: wake to find I agree w/ Scalia: "You are asking us to create a whole new prohibition?" http://is.gd/gFCP1 re: vidgame law #
- New Neal Stephenson essay "Atoms of Cognition: Metaphysics in the Royal Society" in Bill Bryson”“edited Seeing Further http://is.gd/gCFmB #
- [email protected] May very well take you up on interview dare. These kick-interface Fisher Price toys are like Dance Dance Revolution for infants. in reply to apfrod #
- Not sure what @michaelpachter means re: Nintendo DS being "under assault" by iOS. They make beautiful music together http://is.gd/gCDNs :) #
- More Rip Van Winkle than Groundhog Day, we wake up and Tipper Gore has returned dressed as Arnold Schwarzenegger http://is.gd/gCD1U #
- Kids in the street banging pots and pans. No, the Travel Channel isn't playing the background. The Giants have won. #
- Non-stop election fund-raising pleas cause PBS pledge-month flashbacks; keep getting audio-visual hallucinations of John Tesh at Red Rocks. #
- Zimoun, sound poet of the DC motor, moves from pastic and metal to the world of cardboard. Video: http://is.gd/gAgdQ #
- First electronic music in baby's heavy rotation is by anonymous chiptune musicians at Fisher Price. #
- Many hours of the day, I get email newsletters from one or another newspaper from somewhere in the world where it is, at that moment, noon. #
- Pre-order up for new @buddhamachine ("generation iii") — with pictures: http://is.gd/gzTc5 Four extended loops, all played on qin (zither). #
- Relieved that @stonesthrow has migrated its Beat Battles to @soundcloud in advance of the shutdown of drop.io. #
- Used to cheers during Giants-Rangers games while out & about. Sense sonic isolation at home. Just checked MLB score for 1st time in my life. #
- Strange 21c commerce hybrid — auditioning hip-hop/r&b instrumentals on YouTube via phone app before purchasing 12"s. #
- RT @pheezy Listening to a variety of late-night hums: power supply, refrigerator, air filter, disk drives and traffic. #eartwit #
- RIP, George Hickenlooper (Factory Girl, Hearts of Darkness) — please say hi to John Linck for me. #
- Hear marching band practice from shopping-mall parking lot: drums echoed, horns muted, timpani piercing. Like a Just Blaze beat, but live. #
- Sold my Technics 1200s, same weekend as rumors float, again, of production stop. #
- [email protected] Morning sounds, yeah, always with the hard drives. I've got to get better at tweeting from my flash-driven phone and iPod Touch. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 29, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0500 / Humming to Your Selves / The Assignment: Play a tune by yourself and as if by two people whom you invent.
• 0499 / Out of the Landscape / The Assignment: Record a piece of music in which a sound emerges from a field recording.
• 0498 / Sonic Entomologist / The Assignment: Create a new hybrid insect from the sound of two different insects.
• 0497 / Benjamin's Glass / The Assignment: Pay tribute to Benjamin Franklin and his armonica
• 0496 / Isolation Room / The Assignment: Create new music around one strand of something you made in the past.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 500 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod touch junto live-performance live performance mesostic modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments