- Familial sonics: baby's snoring on my shoulder, dad's (her grandfather's) from nearby couch. … Yes, plus light hard-drive whir (Tivo's). #
- Reading Kevin Kelley's What Technology Wants on iPod Touch. Trying to sense whether iPod Touch thinks this is appropriate or disrespectful. #
- â™ª Remix (or "experimental rearrangement") of the late Gorecki's Miserere from back in 2008, by DeadHorseMort: http://is.gd/gYyOb #
- RIP, Polish composer Henryk Gorecki (b.1933). #
- Feeding infant bottle outside Exposed exhibit @sfmoma. Feeling surveilled. #
- Anyone seen side-by-side photos of physical keyboard on Droid 2 versus Droid 2 Global? Apparently it's been upgraded. #android #mobileoffice #
- Morning sounds: shower, typing, hard drive, baby breathing, hum (neighbor laundry?), various netlabel releases. #
- Played with new #thicketapp in beta; now upgrading to v2.0 permanently, leaving behind stage-shift surprise in exchange for broader variety. #
- Do Eno's apps beat his albums? Small Craft discussion happening now. Who'd produce Eno well? What's the Warp factor? http://is.gd/gTlWI #
- Gail Wight, whom I interviewed for Nature last year, among artists with linoleum-cut loteria cards in new @sfcb project: http://is.gd/gUTlk #
- The Tuesday-noon city-wide alarm: less alarming than usual. #
- Thanks to Thicket app dev duo @morganpackard & @joshue for participation in interview: http://j.mp/thcktt Video of new version just added. #
- Morning sounds: bus headed downtown, car noise reminiscent of the surf, refrigerator kicking on, hard drive. #
- Evening sounds: dishwasher, laptop hard drive, footsteps, cars (more headed west than east), infant near-sleep babble. #
- Whenever I see the band name Simian Mobile Disco, I mis-read it as Symbian Mobile Disco; attn: @davestewart #
- There goes my evening — Kenneth Silverman's biography of John Cage, Begin Again, just showed up in the mail. #
- Nice. Gentleman Losers' debut album to be reissued by City Centre Offices with "tasty bonus goodies" http://is.gd/gQmxf #
- Ben Bunch's fantastic foam abstractions of video-game controllers & arcade coin-ops @ NYC's Proposition Gallery thru 12/5 http://is.gd/gQc3o #
- Surprising, singing baby to sleep, how useful Grateful Dead songs are. Why? Droney melodies, lengthy lyrics. (So much pop has so few words.) #
- Morning sounds: occasional car, high-pitched whine (various electronics), baby slowly waking (wheez, trumpet, fidget). #
- Nothing like sorting out the office, shifting things around, and finding a snapped computer chip on floor. Wondering now what won't work … #
- "Over the…3 shows in Brisbane, Metallica performed 40 different songs. Only 7 songs…were performed at all 3 gigs." #gratefuldeathmetal #
- Morning sounds: steady rain, and with it how constant pinging creates a sonic image of the physical environs. Plus: slow cars, hard drive. #
- For folks tracking the rich audio metaphors & sonic science in Fringe, next Thursday's episode apparently focuses on mysterious radio signal #
- CRTC has added "new subcategory 36 (Experimental Music)"; distinguishes avant turntablism from beatmatching — for real: http://is.gd/gNaYN #
- Lot of updates in ver 1.0.5 of Reactable mobile: 2 new scenes, Bluetooth headphone, 24-bit wav, beat/bar synchronization http://is.gd/gN9Uh #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 28, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0494 / Insect Menagerie / The Assignment: Record a 20-second clip of the sounds of an insect that you yourself have invented.
• 0493 / AudioCorrect / The Assignment: Think about the utility and the useful failures inherent in autocorrect and apply this to your music.
• 0492 / Kintsugi Rework / The Assignment: Employ the Japanese technique of mending broken ceramics as a metaphor for remixing.
• 0491 / Footsteps Sequencer / The Assignment: Compose a piece of music structured upon a walk through your home.
• 0490 / In Conversation / The Assignment: Compose a piece of music structured like dialog.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 494 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod touch junto live-performance live performance mesostic modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments