- Familial sonics: baby's snoring on my shoulder, dad's (her grandfather's) from nearby couch. … Yes, plus light hard-drive whir (Tivo's). #
- Reading Kevin Kelley's What Technology Wants on iPod Touch. Trying to sense whether iPod Touch thinks this is appropriate or disrespectful. #
- â™ª Remix (or "experimental rearrangement") of the late Gorecki's Miserere from back in 2008, by DeadHorseMort: http://is.gd/gYyOb #
- RIP, Polish composer Henryk Gorecki (b.1933). #
- Feeding infant bottle outside Exposed exhibit @sfmoma. Feeling surveilled. #
- Anyone seen side-by-side photos of physical keyboard on Droid 2 versus Droid 2 Global? Apparently it's been upgraded. #android #mobileoffice #
- Morning sounds: shower, typing, hard drive, baby breathing, hum (neighbor laundry?), various netlabel releases. #
- Played with new #thicketapp in beta; now upgrading to v2.0 permanently, leaving behind stage-shift surprise in exchange for broader variety. #
- Do Eno's apps beat his albums? Small Craft discussion happening now. Who'd produce Eno well? What's the Warp factor? http://is.gd/gTlWI #
- Gail Wight, whom I interviewed for Nature last year, among artists with linoleum-cut loteria cards in new @sfcb project: http://is.gd/gUTlk #
- The Tuesday-noon city-wide alarm: less alarming than usual. #
- Thanks to Thicket app dev duo @morganpackard & @joshue for participation in interview: http://j.mp/thcktt Video of new version just added. #
- Morning sounds: bus headed downtown, car noise reminiscent of the surf, refrigerator kicking on, hard drive. #
- Evening sounds: dishwasher, laptop hard drive, footsteps, cars (more headed west than east), infant near-sleep babble. #
- Whenever I see the band name Simian Mobile Disco, I mis-read it as Symbian Mobile Disco; attn: @davestewart #
- There goes my evening — Kenneth Silverman's biography of John Cage, Begin Again, just showed up in the mail. #
- Nice. Gentleman Losers' debut album to be reissued by City Centre Offices with "tasty bonus goodies" http://is.gd/gQmxf #
- Ben Bunch's fantastic foam abstractions of video-game controllers & arcade coin-ops @ NYC's Proposition Gallery thru 12/5 http://is.gd/gQc3o #
- Surprising, singing baby to sleep, how useful Grateful Dead songs are. Why? Droney melodies, lengthy lyrics. (So much pop has so few words.) #
- Morning sounds: occasional car, high-pitched whine (various electronics), baby slowly waking (wheez, trumpet, fidget). #
- Nothing like sorting out the office, shifting things around, and finding a snapped computer chip on floor. Wondering now what won't work … #
- "Over the…3 shows in Brisbane, Metallica performed 40 different songs. Only 7 songs…were performed at all 3 gigs." #gratefuldeathmetal #
- Morning sounds: steady rain, and with it how constant pinging creates a sonic image of the physical environs. Plus: slow cars, hard drive. #
- For folks tracking the rich audio metaphors & sonic science in Fringe, next Thursday's episode apparently focuses on mysterious radio signal #
- CRTC has added "new subcategory 36 (Experimental Music)"; distinguishes avant turntablism from beatmatching — for real: http://is.gd/gNaYN #
- Lot of updates in ver 1.0.5 of Reactable mobile: 2 new scenes, Bluetooth headphone, 24-bit wav, beat/bar synchronization http://is.gd/gN9Uh #
5 Most Recent Comments
Jose: "Marc, holy smokes. I just realized you did a write up on this. My deepest and most sincere gratitudes and..."
jimmy kipple sound: "but but but what was the song? "
Mia Zabelka: "Thank you for the review. Thank you for the review! "
Rutger Zuydervelt: "Hi. Thanks for the review. Just a small thing, but memo’s piece is called..."
Aniket Roy: "Really very thoughtful. Sounds fun and worth a try at least. "
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0296 / Clustered Primes / Make music inspired by a prime-number query initiated by novelist Robin Sloan. • 0295 / Disregard Echoes / Make music inspired by a haiku, reflecting on Australian history. • 0294 / Offline Status / Pay tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil by turning his spoken words into music. • 0293 / Emerge/Immerse / Make music for Paige Dansinger's Palmyra 3D/VR images, paying tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil. • 0292 / Eclipse Music / In coordination with St. Louis Art Hack Day, make some solar-inspired tunes.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice