- Taking the 9-volt battery out of the body cavity of my pickup-enabled ukulele makes it seem like some sort of cyborg device. #
- On days when I don't make the "contemporary classical daily" (http://bit.ly/aDAl4S) I feel like I'm off my game. #
- In (dis)honor of Black Friday, I suggest the "free" tag at https://disquiet.com/tag/free/, for legally downloadable and adventurous music. #
- Leftover ingredients from homemade Rice Krispies treats led to best sound of day: snap, crackle, & pop I haven't heard in many, many years. #
- Apparently before Black Friday comes Robo Thursday. #
- [email protected] That'd be great. I have some more remix projects in the planning stages. Will let you know when they're getting going. #
- [email protected] @deltaslide Thanks. Yeah, really loving the uke. And I will try a metronome. Playing chords backward helps plan transitions #
- [email protected] @rddy It does sound like a drug-production-line term. If I ever compete in a beat battle, I may go as gramsop. #
- Will be thankful when I can more smoothly transition from Dm to Bb on my new ukulele, as I teach myself to play the Beatles' "All My Loving" #
- Why does it feel like Tron: Legacy already came and went months ago, and like we're still waiting for Chinese Democracy? #
- Thankful for: #netlabel culture, hacker culture, music communities (@soundcloud), open source (Firefox, Android), donate-ware, & the cloud. #
- "Forgive me, Boyle, but it's just too early for Mahler." "Of course, sir." NCIS: Los Angeles ("Absolution," 11/16) #
- First bit of our Remixing Hanukkah project: @hecanjog & his Cedar AV buddies remix theme music from @tabletmag podcast: http://t.co/YDHgccS #
- RIP, Throbbing Gristle's Peter "Sleazy" Christopherson (b. 1955). #
- William Gibson's soundscape: RT @GreatDismal Very silent. Snow. #
- Great early BBC term for professional turntable handler: "grams operator" (grams = gramophone), e.g. "Kid Koala is a skilled grams operator" #
- Composer Alvin Curran discusses a British commuter-train installation/composition: http://is.gd/hJ9AF #
- Unsilent Night in San Francisco this year is Saturday, Dec. 18, from 7:30pm to 10:30pm — and as always, it starts at Mission Dolores Park. #
- I've seen the past of music, and it's Bruce Springsteen. #
- Morning sounds: laptop hard drive, distant urban hum (like a foghorn that's stuck), occasional automobile. #
- I am sitting in a room (my office) listening to a high-fidelity recording of my office's room tone. It's like Alvin Lucier in reverse. #
- Two tweets received in tandem: @geetadayal "asylum-seekers…have sewn their mouths shut" @dargel "My vocal lines are ridiculously elusive" #
- Tuesday noon siren. So much louder with the windows open. Who would have thunk? #
- Anyone else sensing that these $1/$1.99 deals for full-length albums will become standard price in the near-ish future? #blackeveryday #
- Did I mention I bought a ukulele? Can't wait to patch it through my Korg miniKP Kaoss Pad… #
- [email protected] Yeah, and "loco" is a consensual hallucination. Web erases geography, lets supposed outsiders/outliers find colleagues/peers. #
- The shows Alias, NCIS, and Brothers & Sisters exist in same universe, if you accept Arvin Sloane secretly dated the director of Mossad. #
- [email protected] Yeah, running @thicketapp while multitasking in iOS is a good example of visual glitch. (That's not a critique of the app.) #
- Bad news: Multitasking in iOS 4.2 not as multitasky as basic Android. Good news, kinda maybe: Less likely interruptions while doing stuff. #
- [email protected] @dtauvdiodr @bit_synthesis @vagueterrain Seen Cracked Media (MIT) by Caleb Kelly? (Not just 'cause he quotes my Oval interview.) #
- [email protected] @dtauvdiodr @bit_synthesis @vagueterrain Yeah, Cascone's "failure" is what I meant by "error" in regard to "glitch." #
- Now installing iOS 4.2 on my iPod Touch. See you on the other side. #
- Post-podcast Hanukkah-remix celebratory lunch? Pelmeni, of course. #
- "Glitch" is "non-traditional utilization of media tools" but I'd say that's broad. @Bit_Synthesis @vagueterrain It's about the use of error. #
- Taped @tabletmag podcast w/ excellent host @saraivry. Details TK. Cool benefit: now have professionally recorded room tone of home office. #
- [email protected] Woah — is that accordion part of our remix project? If so, super cool. http://twitpic.com/398u8y #
- Morning sounds: baby's breathing, jet overhead, more traffic than usual, refrigerator, laptop's tiny fan/drive. #
- Switched Win7 screen-divider software from MaxTo to WinSplit Revolution. Gone are the ghost artifacts. Now have nice mode-shifting. #
- [email protected] I can immediately see the parallel between the "experimental" music I'm talking about and your comics. #
- Thanks, folks — @sbtrmnl @gurdonark @chefmenteur — check out the @markrushtoncom response re: "experimental": http://tumblr.com/xgkr6e0l4 #
- Fairly convinced a lot of musicians I like whose music is experimental don't consciously make experimental music; they make music they like. #
- RT @thicketapp The Thicket dev team is helping @buddhamachine with a few little updates to their lovely iPad edition #
- Nice thing about a relatively computer-free morning is the near absence of hard-drive and fan noise. #
- I think autocorrect just turned Unsilent Night into Insolent Night. #badsanta #
- Morning sounds: light rain, sleeping baby's breathing, no hard drives (computers off, Tivo several rooms and thick walls away). #
- Blind guy making way down street, his walking stick banging against car doors. #
- Thunder in the Mission, thunder strong enough to set off car alarms. #
- Just saw Red. Comic movie continuity is confusing. First the Human Torch is Captain America, and here Doom is the Vice President. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Jose: "Marc, holy smokes. I just realized you did a write up on this. My deepest and most sincere gratitudes and..."
jimmy kipple sound: "but but but what was the song? "
Mia Zabelka: "Thank you for the review. Thank you for the review! "
Rutger Zuydervelt: "Hi. Thanks for the review. Just a small thing, but memo’s piece is called..."
Aniket Roy: "Really very thoughtful. Sounds fun and worth a try at least. "
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0296 / Clustered Primes / Make music inspired by a prime-number query initiated by novelist Robin Sloan. • 0295 / Disregard Echoes / Make music inspired by a haiku, reflecting on Australian history. • 0294 / Offline Status / Pay tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil by turning his spoken words into music. • 0293 / Emerge/Immerse / Make music for Paige Dansinger's Palmyra 3D/VR images, paying tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil. • 0292 / Eclipse Music / In coordination with St. Louis Art Hack Day, make some solar-inspired tunes.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice