- Taking the 9-volt battery out of the body cavity of my pickup-enabled ukulele makes it seem like some sort of cyborg device. #
- On days when I don't make the "contemporary classical daily" (http://bit.ly/aDAl4S) I feel like I'm off my game. #
- In (dis)honor of Black Friday, I suggest the "free" tag at https://disquiet.com/tag/free/, for legally downloadable and adventurous music. #
- Leftover ingredients from homemade Rice Krispies treats led to best sound of day: snap, crackle, & pop I haven't heard in many, many years. #
- Apparently before Black Friday comes Robo Thursday. #
- [email protected] That'd be great. I have some more remix projects in the planning stages. Will let you know when they're getting going. #
- [email protected] @deltaslide Thanks. Yeah, really loving the uke. And I will try a metronome. Playing chords backward helps plan transitions #
- [email protected] @rddy It does sound like a drug-production-line term. If I ever compete in a beat battle, I may go as gramsop. #
- Will be thankful when I can more smoothly transition from Dm to Bb on my new ukulele, as I teach myself to play the Beatles' "All My Loving" #
- Why does it feel like Tron: Legacy already came and went months ago, and like we're still waiting for Chinese Democracy? #
- Thankful for: #netlabel culture, hacker culture, music communities (@soundcloud), open source (Firefox, Android), donate-ware, & the cloud. #
- "Forgive me, Boyle, but it's just too early for Mahler." "Of course, sir." NCIS: Los Angeles ("Absolution," 11/16) #
- First bit of our Remixing Hanukkah project: @hecanjog & his Cedar AV buddies remix theme music from @tabletmag podcast: http://t.co/YDHgccS #
- RIP, Throbbing Gristle's Peter "Sleazy" Christopherson (b. 1955). #
- William Gibson's soundscape: RT @GreatDismal Very silent. Snow. #
- Great early BBC term for professional turntable handler: "grams operator" (grams = gramophone), e.g. "Kid Koala is a skilled grams operator" #
- Composer Alvin Curran discusses a British commuter-train installation/composition: http://is.gd/hJ9AF #
- Unsilent Night in San Francisco this year is Saturday, Dec. 18, from 7:30pm to 10:30pm — and as always, it starts at Mission Dolores Park. #
- I've seen the past of music, and it's Bruce Springsteen. #
- Morning sounds: laptop hard drive, distant urban hum (like a foghorn that's stuck), occasional automobile. #
- I am sitting in a room (my office) listening to a high-fidelity recording of my office's room tone. It's like Alvin Lucier in reverse. #
- Two tweets received in tandem: @geetadayal "asylum-seekers…have sewn their mouths shut" @dargel "My vocal lines are ridiculously elusive" #
- Tuesday noon siren. So much louder with the windows open. Who would have thunk? #
- Anyone else sensing that these $1/$1.99 deals for full-length albums will become standard price in the near-ish future? #blackeveryday #
- Did I mention I bought a ukulele? Can't wait to patch it through my Korg miniKP Kaoss Pad… #
- [email protected] Yeah, and "loco" is a consensual hallucination. Web erases geography, lets supposed outsiders/outliers find colleagues/peers. #
- The shows Alias, NCIS, and Brothers & Sisters exist in same universe, if you accept Arvin Sloane secretly dated the director of Mossad. #
- [email protected]recordingnotes Yeah, running @thicketapp while multitasking in iOS is a good example of visual glitch. (That's not a critique of the app.) #
- Bad news: Multitasking in iOS 4.2 not as multitasky as basic Android. Good news, kinda maybe: Less likely interruptions while doing stuff. #
- [email protected] @dtauvdiodr @bit_synthesis @vagueterrain Seen Cracked Media (MIT) by Caleb Kelly? (Not just 'cause he quotes my Oval interview.) #
- [email protected] @dtauvdiodr @bit_synthesis @vagueterrain Yeah, Cascone's "failure" is what I meant by "error" in regard to "glitch." #
- Now installing iOS 4.2 on my iPod Touch. See you on the other side. #
- Post-podcast Hanukkah-remix celebratory lunch? Pelmeni, of course. #
- "Glitch" is "non-traditional utilization of media tools" but I'd say that's broad. @Bit_Synthesis @vagueterrain It's about the use of error. #
- Taped @tabletmag podcast w/ excellent host @saraivry. Details TK. Cool benefit: now have professionally recorded room tone of home office. #
- [email protected] Woah — is that accordion part of our remix project? If so, super cool. http://twitpic.com/398u8y #
- Morning sounds: baby's breathing, jet overhead, more traffic than usual, refrigerator, laptop's tiny fan/drive. #
- Switched Win7 screen-divider software from MaxTo to WinSplit Revolution. Gone are the ghost artifacts. Now have nice mode-shifting. #
- [email protected] I can immediately see the parallel between the "experimental" music I'm talking about and your comics. #
- Thanks, folks — @sbtrmnl @gurdonark @chefmenteur — check out the @markrushtoncom response re: "experimental": http://tumblr.com/xgkr6e0l4 #
- Fairly convinced a lot of musicians I like whose music is experimental don't consciously make experimental music; they make music they like. #
- RT @thicketapp The Thicket dev team is helping @buddhamachine with a few little updates to their lovely iPad edition #
- Nice thing about a relatively computer-free morning is the near absence of hard-drive and fan noise. #
- I think autocorrect just turned Unsilent Night into Insolent Night. #badsanta #
- Morning sounds: light rain, sleeping baby's breathing, no hard drives (computers off, Tivo several rooms and thick walls away). #
- Blind guy making way down street, his walking stick banging against car doors. #
- Thunder in the Mission, thunder strong enough to set off car alarms. #
- Just saw Red. Comic movie continuity is confusing. First the Human Torch is Captain America, and here Doom is the Vice President. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 29, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0500 / Humming to Your Selves / The Assignment: Play a tune by yourself and as if by two people whom you invent.
• 0499 / Out of the Landscape / The Assignment: Record a piece of music in which a sound emerges from a field recording.
• 0498 / Sonic Entomologist / The Assignment: Create a new hybrid insect from the sound of two different insects.
• 0497 / Benjamin's Glass / The Assignment: Pay tribute to Benjamin Franklin and his armonica
• 0496 / Isolation Room / The Assignment: Create new music around one strand of something you made in the past.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 500 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod touch junto live-performance live performance mesostic modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments