- Morning sounds: baby's breathing, plane overhead, smattering of cars, speedy bus, no birds, no hard drives (yet). #
- The 24-hour video diner near me has closed. Where will I go at 3:30am to watch Splash and have an open-faced turkey sandwich with gravy?! #
- RT @boondesign—Anander mol, anander veig on Boing Boing http://bit.ly/gH776I [Thanks, @xenijardin!] #
- [email protected] Thank you, Alicia. So great to be able to let people extrapolate on your recording. (@tabletmag @saraivry) #
- Best company name of the day: Algoriddim (makers of Djay for the iPad) http://is.gd/iaime #
- ♫ Hanukkah, night/track 3: @pauladaunt remixes “Sivivon Sov Sov Sov”by @ohaliciajo http://is.gd/hXa01; alt by @ocp_pt_vu http://is.gd/i7DDz #
- RT @ohaliciajo holy crap, remix of chanukah song i covered last year played on today's @wnyc_soundcheck http://bit.ly/feyGR6 via @saraivry #
- "E minor, it's pretty." –Dr. Bishop on Fringe ("Entrada," Dec. 2). #
- "Anander Mol" / "Hanukkah remix" interview with Soundcheck's John Schaefer now up: http://is.gd/i9fAs MP3: http://is.gd/i9Of4 Thanks, @wnyc! #
- [email protected] Thanks, man! So much fun. Perfect to go from that Atlanta hip-hop book to Diego Bernal's remix of the 4th Ward Afro-Klez Orch. #
- [email protected] Hope it sounded OK. That was so cool. Schaefer's New Sounds book was pretty core reading for me, senior year of college. #
- Wikileak silver lining? Maybe netneutrality agnostics will take note. Newspapers now introducing people to terms like "IP address" and "DNS" #
- [email protected] The title was the literary equivalent of the cover boobs that appeared months later. The article existed to support the title. #
- Picturing the gang affiliations at MP3-blogger Gitmo: instrumental hip-hop kids, indie-rock mopers, exotica aficionados, 78rpm hoarders … #
- Wired overstated the "Web Is Dead" stuff, but Homeland Security site shutdowns & Wikileaks overkill suggest the statement may prove true. #
- I'll be on Soundcheck on @WNYC FM 93.9 (am 820) today at 2:20pm (EST) talking about the @tabletmag remixes. Show details: http://is.gd/i9fAs #
- About that "TV remote control with 50% volume reduction button," I guess Congress has the situation covered: http://is.gd/i97po #
- Thanks, @cyclicdefrost, for 'Anander Mol' writeup: http://is.gd/i93Jk "tonal static" "machine versus Klezmer standoff" "a light hearted joy" #
- Solid thoughts from cartoonist @dylanhorrocks on cultural "ecosystems" vs copyright "raw materials" http://bit.ly/e5veae Samplers take note. #
- It's cool the new @tivodesign remote does full qwerty, but how about a button to reduce the volume 50% when commercials blast on. #
- Looks like I'll settle for some Caol Ila. #
- I'd like a shot of Savage Fowl, please. #
- Sholem Aleichem short story remixed (thanks @mystified131) + 9 other outtakes http://is.gd/i7DDz … Amazing cover art by @boondesign #
- ♫ Hanukkah, night/track 2: Netherlands-based xntrxx remixes Dave Tarras klezmer wedding favorite “Die Goldene Chasene”http://is.gd/hXa01 #
- The Glitch Mob are fun and all, but when I see their name, it makes me wish for a Markus Popp / Kim Cascone / Nicolas Collins supergroup. #
- Arvo PÃ¤rt and Eminem both nominated for Grammy Awards. Let's hope for a team-up during the ceremonies. #
- Who knew that 1:45pm is the lunch rush at the nearby dim sum place. #
- [email protected] Wrote bit about Kelly's What Tech Wants at http://is.gd/i6E99. Was in group discussion at http://is.gd/i6EeV. May write more. #
- "Newly discovered Arsenic-based microbe raises possibility of new types of life." Defuses anthropomorphism in Kelly's What Technology Wants. #
- "Newly discovered Arsenic-based microbe raises possibility of new types of life." GOP sees terrorist threat, asks why NASA hates America. #
- â™ª To hear muted sirens played against automated arpeggios is a splendid thing. Black to Comm, live MP3: http://is.gd/i6rSn #
- Klezmer breakbeats? Ambient folk? Creative Commons? Free Hanukkah remix album #4 most-read/commented/emailed @tabletmag http://is.gd/hXa01 #
- Morning sounds: hard drive (desktop's, which gets louder the more I use my netbook), spoon against bowl (from kitchen), baby snores (FTW). #
- A favorite coder-blogger is Jon Aquino of YubNub. He made a video of himself nodding: someone to "rubber duck" ideas with http://is.gd/i4puj #
- ♫ Hanukkah, night/track 1: @markrushtoncom remixes “Maoz Tzur”by Dov Rosenblatt, Rosi Golan, and Deena Goodman http://is.gd/hXa01 #
- Michael Rapaport's 'Beats, Rhymes and Life,' documentary on A Tribe Called Quest, part of Sundance this coming year. #
- Pondering Kip Hanrahan's mastery of artifice in his score to the film PiÃ±ero, now up at Perfect Sound Forever: http://is.gd/i3YB8 @jgrossnas #
- The stuff in James Wood's New Yorker piece about how Keith Moon is like Glenn Gould is especially interesting, if overly romantic. #
- But James Wood's "subtlety is not freedom" (after Roth)? From context, I'll assume he means from the adolescent POV. Or he's being childish. #
- "Let My Love Open the Door" comes on bagel shop's radio while I'm reading James Wood on Keith Moon in New Yorker; he's right about a lot. #
- Our remixed-Hanukkah compilation now 3rd most emailed @tabletmag feature, & 5th most read, & 5th most commented http://is.gd/hXa01 #
- Happiness is hearing the garbage truck on an adjacent street, and knowing there are no cans outside waiting in the cold to be retrieved. #
- [email protected] I think of the dripping coffee as generative in that it's a rhythm produced as result of a system and is continuously changing. #
- [email protected] Thanks. Much appreciated My sense is the dripping coffee would be concrÃ¨te once I'd recorded it successfully, but I didn't. … #
- [email protected] Is National Writing Month followed by National Editing Month or National Pitching Month? #
- A watched pot doesn't boil — and an audiotaped cup of drip coffee doesn't make the same generative beat that it did before you hit record. #
- [email protected] I forgot Wilde shares his day-of-decease with Pessoa. Thanks. Impressive afterlife cohort: Picabia, Debord, Acker. #
- Listening to Ava Mendoza on a cross-town Muni. Very Jim Jarmusch passage. #
- [email protected] I love listening to scores before seeing the film. A new Mansell is always good news. #
- And John Slattery, known later as Mad Men's Roger Sterling, read DeLillo's Falling Man audiobook. Laurie Anderson read The Body Artist. #
- Apparently Will Patton read audiobook of DeLillo's Cosmopolis. May need to listen, with an ear toward updating my essay: http://is.gd/i14WT #
- For @wordpress users (.org not .com) who check Twitter more often than your Dashboard, a new security update has appeared http://is.gd/i13ni #
- On the 75th anniversary of his death, a favorite Fernando Pessoa axiom: "Mute, because overheard." #
- Very weird to re-listen to the Who after hearing their choicest snippets whipped into sonic-MSG frenzy in openings to the three CSI shows. #
- I don't listen to much music w/ words but I dig @david_lynch's dark homebrew pop. Maybe aspiring filmmaker @thelittleidiot can make a short? #
- Having one of those "Which browser tab is making that droning sound?" moments. #modernailments #
- Best email subject header of the day: "Wikileaks to reveal MF DOOM identity" (@stonesthrow) #
- Cool. Hanukkah remix project (all klezmer/folk, via ambient & instrumental hip-hop) now in top-5 most-emailed @tabletmag http://is.gd/hXa01 #
- Tuesday noon alarm. Sirens kick in at slightly different times, leading to overlap and the illusion of echo. It's like a dub invasion. #
- Falling hard for @simplenoteapp. Anyone recommend Win7 alternatives to ResophNotes, Notes for Windows, & GumNotes? #text #sync #cloud #ware #
- Fernando Pessoa, from whose Livro do Desassossego (Book of Disquiet) my Disquiet.com took its name, died 75 years ago today (via @ocp_pt_vu) #
- So cool. Avatar on (verified) @MargaretAtwood Twitter account shows her enjoying Brion Gysin's Dreammachine http://is.gd/i08jB #eyeswideshut #
- Not to knock Daft Punk but I half want Tron to fail to help kill PR/marketing that yokes onslaught of "leaks" to subculture pandering. #
- [email protected] One strength of @SoundCloud is it's most rewarding for listeners who make music. I'd almost say it encourages participation. #
- Neat crowd-filter project at http://opaqueglitter.tumblr.com/ to determine tracks for Opaque Glitter album. #
- The season-finale episode of Terriers is called, appropriately, "Hail Mary." http://is.gd/i02Mx Good luck to them. Hope it's renewed. #
- Sensing urge to insert #hashtag comments into emails. Maybe a sign that I'll take a needed Twitter-break over the holidays. #presentshock #
- "Closing of GM plant is focus of new musical 'Requiem'" http://is.gd/hXNJc #
- What is Yiddish for "remix"? "Nokhmish"? "×¨×™×ž×™×§×¡"? The debate rages politely in the comments here: http://is.gd/hXa01 #
- RIP, Irvin Kershner (b. 1923). When his Empire Strikes Back was first released we lined up so early that the theater added an extra matinee. #
- We Invented the "Nokhmish" — well, not really, but we did remix some Hanukkah (and related) songs for @tabletmag: http://is.gd/hXa01 Enjoy! #
- "since I've met you I've noticed things…I never knew were there before: birds singing, dew glistening on a newly formed leaf, stoplights." #
- Six degrees of prog-pop: Sleazy of Throbbing Gristle/Coil designed covers of 1st 3 Peter Gabriel LPs: http://bit.ly/RIPsLEAZY via @pheezy #
- The drone of two night buses passing, by chance, in front of the house, both making the same half-hearted acknowledgment of the stop signs. #
- Headed out shortly to catch 1960 Yukio Mishima film, Afraid to Die, @new_people #
- Singing Beatles songs to baby when she's awake; reading on ancient British electronic music when she naps. George Martin is common ground. #
- [email protected] Dig some period Delia Derbyshire. #dalek #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 28, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0484 / A Movable Heart / The Assignment: Transplant the sounds of Chris Kallmyer's wind chimes to a new location.
• 0483 / Type Set / The Assignment: Use a recording of yourself typing something as the underlying rhythmic track for a piece of music.
• 0482 / Exactly That Gap / The Assignment: Make a musical haiku following instructions from Marcus Fischer.
• 0481 / Capsule Time / The Assignment: Record a time capsule for yourself in the future.
• 0480 / Ongsay Aftcray / The Assignment: Record a piece of music by employing Pig Latin as a technique.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 484 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments