- I'm taking next 2 weeks off Twitter. Going Twitter-dark. And largely Internet-dark. 2011 approaches. See you on the other side. Back Jan 5. #
- Managed to get a best-film-scores of 2010 list done, too. Will post it soon. (TV music doesn't get enough love. But that's for another day.) #
- My buddy's http://superheronovels.com site, which I helped him rig up, got a nice nod from @io9 today http://j.mp/e6pNHZ #capes #nopictures #
- Evening sounds: laptop hard drive, TiVo hard drive, crunching and rattle of toy in baby's hands, car doors of people getting home from work. #
- Autocorrect is the pocket calculator of the present time. #
- Need to get some really nifty looking rechargeable batteries to put inside my clear, new Buddha Machine. #naked #
- About to go record shopping with my daughter. She's 16 weeks old today. This should prove interesting. #
- Great musician-wanted ad: "@djrupture We're looking for someone who plays keyboard, triggers samples, dislikes jazz & loves repetition #NYC quot; #
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco: funny it should happen during this rare break from the rain. It signals, "Look outside everyone!" #
- Forum-generated list of movie scores converted to CD from LP for first time in 2010 http://is.gd/jaCmG Day of the Locust, Once a Thief, … #
- "2010: A year with no new movies scored by Gustavo Santaolalla or Cliff Martinez". Retracted: There was Santaolla, just no Martinez. #
- 2010: A year with no new movies scored by Gustavo Santaolalla or Cliff Martinez. #
- Dear @googlenews — If I opt out of main sports section, maybe your algorithm should limit sports showing in my local San Francisco feed? #
- One of the best iPhone/Pad/Touch sound apps of 2010, Thicket, is free today http://ca-n.in/aClUh9 via @creativeapplications & @thicketapp #
- If you're in Charleston, WV, it's Unsilent Night tonight. http://is.gd/iG4z2 @myunsilentnight #
- Six ways of drawing the moon. Introducing Galileo, earliest known Oubapo artist http://bit.ly/gTcSkb @mmaddencomics (via @boingboing) #
- Our sonic @TelegraphNews rebuttal has first bonus track, courtesy of @ethanhein: "Sigh Beats" http://j.mp/dU1J2P #philipsz #lowlands #turner #
- Susan Philipsz won Turner Dec 6. Richard Dorment of @telegraphnews dismissed it Dec 7. Yesterday we responded in sound: http://j.mp/dU1J2P #
- Going Twitter-dark in 12 hours. Looking forward to two slightly less technologically mediated weeks. (Not wholesale; e.g., still on email.) #
- Evening sounds: plane passing slowly (making that infinite descending-bomb drone), baby's breathing, refrigerator on hum. #aanechoic #
- RT @BoingBoing "An experimental musical petri-dish" http://bit.ly/hCOaK4 [In which I wrote about the glorious Seaquence.org.] #
- "@geetadayal: sound artists "answer record" responding to critic's dismissive Susan Philipsz review http://is.gd/j5Pe6" Thanks, Geeta! #
- Susan Philipsz's installation won Turner Prize. Richard Dorment of @telegraphnews dismissed it. We respond: https://disquiet.com/turner2010 #
- What's more plein air than field recording? Aside, perhaps, from simply listening. #
- Distant Traffic (Netbook Hard Drive and Fan Mix) #
- 4'33" enters chart at #21 John Cage would be proud. The 21st I Ching hexagram "indicates how obstacles are forcibly removed in nature." #
- Ace beatmaker Diego Bernal is running for San Antonio City Council District 1. Support his campaign: http://bit.ly/fWkUlp @dbernalmusic #
- I love Google Tasks. As @lifehacker has shown repeatedly, the best form of list-making is often paper. Google Tasks is like paper + sync. #
- Our sonic-activist "answer album" to Megan McArdle article about music industry gets best-of-2010 nod: http://is.gd/j1SJf from @vuzhmusic #
- The @nytimes Year in Ideas includes Turbine-Free Wind Power that does away with noise/vibration issues http://is.gd/j1Ptr #hallelujah #
- Sampling: it's a cover version, not a crime. #
- Just posted a five-minute (stationary mic) recording of last night's Unsilent Night in San Francisco: http://is.gd/j1rjt @soundcloud #fluxus #
- If you're in Salt Lake City, San Diego, Vancouver or Los Angeles, it's Unsilent Night tonight. http://is.gd/iG4z2 @myunsilentnight #
- Sequencing our little sonic-activist project, 11 tracks (potentially a few more coming by end of day). Should be live tomorrow or Tuesday. #
- If you were at the Unsilent Night in San Francisco, could you get in touch with me? I have a couple questions. Thanks. #
- [email protected] Want a good take on environment in which Dead took shape, read Lesh's autobiography side by side with John Markoff's Dormouse. #
- Three and a half hours until Unsilent Night. Load up your boomboxes. #
- Cute THX 1138 joke in this morning's Clone Wars episode. 99 is more interesting than any character introduced in the 3 Star Wars prequels. #
- Four, maybe five, days until I go Twitter-dark through the end of the year. Looking forward to it. #
- Umi Nom = restaurant with "nom" in its name. Gotta love it. I guess "umi nom" means "drink" in Tagalog (per @newyorker)? It's in Brooklyn. #
- Woo! It's Unsilent Night tonight in San Francisco: http://is.gd/iG4z2 @myunsilentnight Also: Charleston, SC; Dallas, TX; Manhattan, NY. #
- After the whole del.icio.us thing, find myself disinclined to type the word "yahoo." What to do? "Yay"? "Neat"? "Woo"? I'll go with "woo." #
- The adjectives "indie" and "enterprise" bug me to equal degrees. #
- Morning sounds: heater, netbook hard drive, a few cars, footsteps, ice against glass. Also notable: absence of last night's intense wind. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• February 5, 2020: The first session of the 15-week course I teach at the Academy of Art about the role of sound in the media landscape.
• April 15, 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• December 13, 2020: This day marks the 24th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2021: This day marks the 9th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• At least two live group concerts by Disquiet Junto members in the San Francisco Bay Area are in the works for 2020.
• I have liner notes for a musician's solo album and an essay in a book about an art event due out. I'll announce as the release dates come into focus.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0455 / Inner Invertebrate / The Assignment: What does a moment (or a day) in the life of a jellyfish sound like to a jellyfish?
• 0454 / Lsoo Vneg / The Assignment: Encode the name of someone you love into a piece of music.
• 0453 / Dial Up / The Assignment: Imagine the technologically mediated First Contact through sound.
• 0452 / Let's Scream / The Assignment: Get cathartic. Be resilient. Turn your scream into music.
• 0451 / Ursula's Silences / Make music inspired by a line from A Wizard of Earthsea.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 455 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments