- By day, buses rattle past. By night, when they stop for passengers, the beepy dis/embark melody sounds like a Japanese train station. #
- Weirdly frequent (and presumably DNS-related) issues accessing various websites this evening. #
- Starting to find A/B stories on TV just as claustrophobia-inducing as verse/chorus/verse structure in songs. But at least TV has story arcs. #
- Entirely caught up with email. Zero inbox. Victory! … Er, for 2011. … As for 2010, that's a major backlog. … #
- Wishing a speedy recovery for Adam Yauch. #
- RT @vuzhmusic New blog series #netlabel artists recommend free downloads, 2nd post by @disquiet http://www.vuzhmusic.com/blog/?p=704 #
- Thankful for the #lessambitiousearthquake / Baby's first, slept right through it. #
- Not one of the @gdgt #CES smartphone favorites has a physical keyboard. #kindabummed #
- Lab Tech Manhattan #lessambitiouswatchmen #
- I have unintentionally slurred registered nurses. Allow me to revise… #
- #lessambitiousmemes #
- Strawberry 10% #lessambitiousmanga #
- Registered Nurse Strange #lessambitiouscomics #
- Justice Club #lessambitiouscomics #
- Fantastic Three #lessambitiouscomics #
- Acme Novelty Department #lessambitiouscomics #
- Trial of "one-time superlobbyist Paul Magliocchetti" sheds light on the Military-Symphony Complex: http://j.mp/fYV9k1 #
- â–º Video of Latin sung at dawn in Singapore, multiple locations layered; think Lucier divided by Cardiff/Miller: http://t.co/OLlITmc #
- Noon bells pierce the cold, and the closed windows. #
- Relieved to learn, first hand, that the "version history" in @simplenoteapp works smoothly and effectively. #
- That's pretty cool, 250-plus plays of my Unsilent Night field recording @soundcloud http://t.co/OdBMI4y #surveillance #fluxus #
- Evening sounds: traffic bleeds into hard-drive whir bleeds into general appliance hum bleeds into light tinnitus. #
- .@Gurdonark Yeah, you know, the second I wrote to you, I started wondering what the mail-art of email is. Spam is like Ballardian email-art. #
- Just heard "da da" for first time. Sure, just random syllables by four-month-old, but still something. #
- â™« Afternoon analog-synth audiostream: Keith Fullerton Whitman live at the Bunker (2010.11.05), cascading-tastic: http://j.mp/9dn6jq #
- Best recent song title: Derrick Hart's "0073735963" (the code to get to Tyson on the NES game Mike Tyson's Punch Out). #
- RIP, Ann Southam, Canadian composer (b. 1937) Listen http://j.mp/gna4zV Obituary http://j.mp/gC1ybZ Via @alexrossmusic http://j.mp/gjCgQa #
- Morton Feldman and Samuel Beckett's Either #lessambitiousoperas #
- Hydrogen iPod #lessambitiousoperas #
- Someone at @CNN appears to be learning how to use its email newsblast system this morning. #studentdriver #
- RIP, Mick Karn (b. Adonis Michaelides, 1958), musician best known as the bassist for Japan. #
- Pool scenes in recent CSI: Miami ("Match Made in Hell") resembled early Bill Viola video. Yesterday's avant-garde, today's Hollywood effect. #
- Before designing the new Broad museum in downtown Los Angeles, Diller + Scofidio did this great mesh of corporate logos: http://j.mp/fYC5NT #
- Very emperor's-new-clothes, these touch tablets/phones. Tech writers describe each like fashion writers do the latest little black dresses. #
- LibÃ©ration.fr for real. The DeLillo story from Harper's I mentioned is up there for free now en Anglais. http://j.mp/hgCOaM via @1000DIGIKI #
- Somewhat Attenuated Jest #lessambitiousbooks #
- City of Lucite #lessambitiousbooks #
- â™« Pre-noon beats: Tictoc's entry in the 199th (!) weekly @stonesthrow Beat Battle: http://j.mp/eRR1tZ #
- Remembering packing as much information as possible onto a postcard, to save on postage. #lifebeforeemail #
- "Internet dark" comes in various shades of gray. (Back on Twitter, after two weeks of relative social-media/web silence.) #
- Happy 70th, Hayao Miyazaki. Flipping thru my Princess Mononoke (ã‚‚ã®ã®ã‘å§«) storyboard book bought after Ghibli visit during my first Japan trip. #
- RIP, Carl Tupper, founder of BSI Comics in Metarie, La, where I used to shop a lot. Stands for "Book Swap Incorporated" http://is.gd/kafJc #
- Many thanks, belatedly due to my Twitter break, to Natalia Ludmila @n_ludmila for drawing my Twitter background. http://is.gd/kafx5 #
- Following CES coverage with practical rather than hypothetical self-interest: my G1 is about to die; want to know what next phone will be. #
- Morning sounds: low (refrigerator hum), middle (bus rumble), high (baby breathing). #
5 Most Recent Comments
Ricardo Talaia: "Hi Marc, Very interesting podcast and selection… And great timeline comments about each..."
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0281 / Pattern Interruption / Create a pattern, loop it, and intersperse alterations. • 0280 / 20170514 / Celebrate the 70th birthday of a Junto member. • 0279 / Word Interiorities / Dissect the sonic properties of a single spoken word. • 0278 / MacConnel’s Jingle / Interpret a work of contemporary art as a graphically notated score. • 0277 / Chew Concrète / Make music inspired by C. Reider's Chew Cinders album procedures.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice