- By day, buses rattle past. By night, when they stop for passengers, the beepy dis/embark melody sounds like a Japanese train station. #
- Weirdly frequent (and presumably DNS-related) issues accessing various websites this evening. #
- Starting to find A/B stories on TV just as claustrophobia-inducing as verse/chorus/verse structure in songs. But at least TV has story arcs. #
- Entirely caught up with email. Zero inbox. Victory! … Er, for 2011. … As for 2010, that's a major backlog. … #
- Wishing a speedy recovery for Adam Yauch. #
- RT @vuzhmusic New blog series #netlabel artists recommend free downloads, 2nd post by @disquiet http://www.vuzhmusic.com/blog/?p=704 #
- Thankful for the #lessambitiousearthquake / Baby's first, slept right through it. #
- Not one of the @gdgt #CES smartphone favorites has a physical keyboard. #kindabummed #
- Lab Tech Manhattan #lessambitiouswatchmen #
- I have unintentionally slurred registered nurses. Allow me to revise… #
- #lessambitiousmemes #
- Strawberry 10% #lessambitiousmanga #
- Registered Nurse Strange #lessambitiouscomics #
- Justice Club #lessambitiouscomics #
- Fantastic Three #lessambitiouscomics #
- Acme Novelty Department #lessambitiouscomics #
- Trial of "one-time superlobbyist Paul Magliocchetti" sheds light on the Military-Symphony Complex: http://j.mp/fYV9k1 #
- â–º Video of Latin sung at dawn in Singapore, multiple locations layered; think Lucier divided by Cardiff/Miller: http://t.co/OLlITmc #
- Noon bells pierce the cold, and the closed windows. #
- Relieved to learn, first hand, that the "version history" in @simplenoteapp works smoothly and effectively. #
- That's pretty cool, 250-plus plays of my Unsilent Night field recording @soundcloud http://t.co/OdBMI4y #surveillance #fluxus #
- Evening sounds: traffic bleeds into hard-drive whir bleeds into general appliance hum bleeds into light tinnitus. #
- [email protected] Yeah, you know, the second I wrote to you, I started wondering what the mail-art of email is. Spam is like Ballardian email-art. #
- Just heard "da da" for first time. Sure, just random syllables by four-month-old, but still something. #
- ♫ Afternoon analog-synth audiostream: Keith Fullerton Whitman live at the Bunker (2010.11.05), cascading-tastic: http://j.mp/9dn6jq #
- Best recent song title: Derrick Hart's "0073735963" (the code to get to Tyson on the NES game Mike Tyson's Punch Out). #
- RIP, Ann Southam, Canadian composer (b. 1937) Listen http://j.mp/gna4zV Obituary http://j.mp/gC1ybZ Via @alexrossmusic http://j.mp/gjCgQa #
- Morton Feldman and Samuel Beckett's Either #lessambitiousoperas #
- Hydrogen iPod #lessambitiousoperas #
- Someone at @CNN appears to be learning how to use its email newsblast system this morning. #studentdriver #
- RIP, Mick Karn (b. Adonis Michaelides, 1958), musician best known as the bassist for Japan. #
- Pool scenes in recent CSI: Miami ("Match Made in Hell") resembled early Bill Viola video. Yesterday's avant-garde, today's Hollywood effect. #
- Before designing the new Broad museum in downtown Los Angeles, Diller + Scofidio did this great mesh of corporate logos: http://j.mp/fYC5NT #
- Very emperor's-new-clothes, these touch tablets/phones. Tech writers describe each like fashion writers do the latest little black dresses. #
- Libération.fr for real. The DeLillo story from Harper's I mentioned is up there for free now en Anglais. http://j.mp/hgCOaM via @1000DIGIKI #
- Somewhat Attenuated Jest #lessambitiousbooks #
- City of Lucite #lessambitiousbooks #
- ♫ Pre-noon beats: Tictoc's entry in the 199th (!) weekly @stonesthrow Beat Battle: http://j.mp/eRR1tZ #
- Remembering packing as much information as possible onto a postcard, to save on postage. #lifebeforeemail #
- "Internet dark" comes in various shades of gray. (Back on Twitter, after two weeks of relative social-media/web silence.) #
- Happy 70th, Hayao Miyazaki. Flipping thru my Princess Mononoke (ã‚‚ã®ã®ã‘å§«) storyboard book bought after Ghibli visit during my first Japan trip. #
- RIP, Carl Tupper, founder of BSI Comics in Metarie, La, where I used to shop a lot. Stands for "Book Swap Incorporated" http://is.gd/kafJc #
- Many thanks, belatedly due to my Twitter break, to Natalia Ludmila @n_ludmila for drawing my Twitter background. http://is.gd/kafx5 #
- Following CES coverage with practical rather than hypothetical self-interest: my G1 is about to die; want to know what next phone will be. #
- Morning sounds: low (refrigerator hum), middle (bus rumble), high (baby breathing). #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2022: This day marks the 26th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2023: This day marked the 11th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• April 16, 2022: I participated in an online "talk show" by The Big Conversation Space (Niki Korth and Clémence de Montgolfier).
• March 11, 2022: I hosted a panel discussion between Mark Fell, Rian Treanor and James Bradbury in San Francisco as part of the Algorithmic Art Assembly (aaassembly.org) at Gray Area (grayarea.org).
• December 28, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marked the 25th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0544 / Feedback Loop / The Assignment: Share music-in-progress for input from others.
• 0543 / Technique Check / The Assignment: Share a tip from your method toolbox.
• 0542 / 2600 Club / The Assignment: Make some phreaking music.
• 0541 / 10BPM Techno / The Assignment: Make some snail-paced beats.
• 0540 / 5ive 4our / The Assignment: Take back 5/4 for Jedi time masters Dave Brubeck and Paul Desmond.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 544 consecutive weeks to date.