- Tip for our era's musique d’ameublement: "@daveseidel: appliances likely based on 60Hz, which is where I tune all of my (non-improv) music." #
- Morning sounds: fairly certain microwave & computer fan are octave apart. Also: bus, baby snore, ice crackling in black coffee, one bird. #
- I parsed new @rushkoff book Program or Be Programmed from musician-centric POV: http://j.mp/gyFbYK (on @wammusic) He did play w/ Psychic TV. #
- ♫ FYI, Egyptian e-musician Mahmoud Refat has music alongside Zimoun tracks on some CDs. More Refat tracks: http://j.mp/gWyqbd #smallworld #
- ♫ Straight Outta Cairo: More experimental Egyptian music: Mahmoud Refat's glitch-ambient "Searching Data" http://j.mp/gCqfBX #
- ♫ Straight Outta Cairo: Experimental Egyptian music for when reading latest uprising news: http://j.mp/3RAwid (Hassan Khan live in 2009) #
- Wondering, as I do on occasion, the extent to which the Human Target is a highly literal compression of Shade the Changing Man. #
- Notice up at an uncharacteristically coy touchradio.org.uk: "Touch Radio at The British Library National Sound Archive": http://j.mp/e76mtC #
- And, in SF Public Library's comics collection, Hellblazer is broken up alphabetically by author. #continuity #
- Comics categorization at SF Public Library is a riot. Some Dungeon alphabetized under Blain not Trondheim due to name order on covers. #
- If I get enough done today then I'll treat myself to concert apparently featuring induction coil generator made from feedback of 20 strings. #
- Two days without yubnub and I have gone back, command-line tail between my legs. #
- Noon Bells (Dishwasher Mix) #
- Posted thoughts about tech un-self-consciousness of most pop music. Then got excited by @jgrossnas tweet about Nick Lowe reissue. #hypocrite #
- Obvious to point of underestimated: how MP3s don't degrade. Listening now to 10-year-old rip of BBC stream; still sounds just as it did. #
- I don't think music publicists understand how much they undermine themselves & each other with sheer volume of communication they produce. #
- One Piece anime BitTorrent downloaders sued. Translation: the accused would be pirates of pirates http://tinyurl.com/4dardmn #
- Did CS Lewis write a fable for parents of newborns about a magical wardrobe containing clothes that aren't all stained with spit-up? #
- Amazon Kindle Singles were invented primarily to help people prop up their GoodReads stats. #
- Some day there will be a J Dilla bot retweeting all Raymond Scott references. #
- RIP, country singer Charlie Louvin (b. 1927) via @lenpsmall @countrymarxist @fbjournal His warbly vowels contained multitudes. #
- The Dow just hit 12,000. Edge Question: Will it hit 36,000 before or after the web dies? #
- Martin Scorsese: Ingram Marshall, may I use Fog Tropes in Shutter Island? Marshall: OK. Scorsese: Is it OK if DiCaprio vomits in the scene? #
- NYC carriagetrade.org gallery's Facebook page for 'Social Photography' exhibit (cellphone images) disabled due to TOU violation. #antisocial #
- Fantastic four to the floor: "@LardyRevenger: I just heard some bass so fucked up, it sounded like Galactus farting." #
- Some images and impressions of Zimoun's concert @swissnexSF with Jim Haynes last week: http://bit.ly/dNHpvT #
- Trying to wean myself from yubnub. … Mostly this means not putting a "g" before every search entry. #
- Pondering the gray zone between "spec script" and "fan fiction." #
- Magical. "@onyudo: It's a sad day when the 'burp & fart piano' is the #1 free app in the apple desktop app store." #
- He'll wrestle with Nokia's @davestewart "@geetadayal: Will.i.am named Intel director of creative innovation: http://lat.ms/hQvo0m" #
- The folks at @swissnexSF are incredibly polite. Zimoun concert began with this request: "Please turn off or at least turn down your phone." #
- Trying to decide how to mentally balance the simultaneous Egypt protests and the KUSF protest. #
- Pondering the presence of EFF and Creative Commons pages on Facebook. Are they embassies, shantytowns, protest sites, provocations? AOTA? #
- RT @goodbully: "Taco Bell must've taken its cues from the rap game by using fake beef to make a quick buck." via @raynardfaux #
- Tuesday noon siren, filtered through a lot of dubby netlabel goodness. #
- â–º David Lynch's "I Know" single, this time remixed into a "weirdstep" dirge by @Jon_Hopkins_ http://j.mp/gLtPU6 on @soundcloud #
- [email protected] Yeah, it's less the Android kboard, which is good; it's (1) diminished screenscape and (2) motion on public transportation. #
- Couple weeks into Nexus S test drive, and I'm still not a virtual-keyboard guy. Guess I'll try G2 next, or Evo Shift? #tactile #
- "@ario: Best way I've heard a mix described in a long while: 'Only 26% Shazam-able!' [email protected] Mix in question: http://bit.ly/h6vuWx" #
- RT @donald Resurrecting my Chachi Jones alter ego for Sacramento Electronic Music Festival this Sat. @SEMFpresents http://is.gd/iXK6P3 #
- Wondering if the Jason Statham remake of Charles Bronson's The Mechanic will have a similar, gutsy, dialog-free first 15 minutes. #
- [email protected] Culture jamming has always been about disrupting media signals but how do you do it when the media's signal is dispersed noise? #
- "@primusluta: @disquiet Exactly!! It's not disposable income anymore, it's disposable time. You make the noise they brand it." [Well said.] #
- 4 of 5 Oscar best-score noms were on my Top 10 list. I've yet to see Train Your Dragon, but admire John Powell (esp. Mr. and Mrs. Smith). #
- Google Reader painfully slow right now. #
- Popularity of 2010 Top 10 lists on Disquiet.com, declining order: 1 iOS Sound Apps, 2 Netlabel Releases, 3 Commercial Albums, 4 Film Scores. #
- Good one. "@chunter16 @disquiet 'Bass fiction' meaning there's really no bass?" #
- From Kode9 press release: "Don't call him 'dubstep' he prefers to call his music 'bass fiction.'" How about "illbient"? #semantic #genrewars #
- The price of happiness? $6.56: tan tan noodles at Panda Country Kitchen. (Not to be confused with the fast-foot chain.) #szechuan #
- [email protected] Southland is freeing, like watching laughless MASH. Bleeps a little forced, but scorelessness gives every engine & fridge meaning. #
- After watching an episode of Southland, it's hard to take seriously any show with a musical score. Which is to say, just about any show. #
- "The changing table is in view, and the strip on your diaper is blue." #toatunebydavidbowie #
- There will be a Save KUSF rally at San Francisco's City Hall tomorrow, Tuesday, January 25, at 1:00 pm. #
- My pleasure. RT @panospria Review of "Les Nostres Necessitats" by Arnau Sala, thanks to Disquiet: http://j.mp/dLFuey #
- So, a douchebag is just a hipster whose conceit is showing? #
- Late morning sounds: the chamber of horror that is a pediatrician office visit. #
- Just learned of two musicians I admire meeting up because one learned of the other's tour because they both follow me on Twitter. Wonderful! #
- OK, I've set up a @goodreads list just of sound-related books I'm reading: http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/889316?shelf=sound-music #
- Dr. Bishop wears guitar boxers. #
- If you adhere to the idea that today is louder than the past, consider how present in foreground was much of Erik Satie's Furniture Music. #
- Thoughts on Christopher Sorrentino's book on Death Wish: http://goodreads.com/review/show/142952746 // Electric-jazz score by Herbie Hancock #
- Do I write more reviews on Goodreads than Amazon, comforted by illusion I'm not directly participating in an imminent financial transaction? #
- "@TinyNietzsche: The sound of one account unfollowing." via @mbytz #
- Early morning sirens. #richmonddistrict #
- Won't be making the Zimoun opening at @GAFFTA tonight. Baby's first cold takes priority. #doublesniff #
- My favorite @Edge Question response: how free jazz trains us to "work beyond proven cognitive patterns": http://j.mp/eOInx0 #
- Autocorrect is a greater plague than autotune. And autofill is a greater plague than autocorrect. #
- Almost seems unseemly to "Like" Facebook obituaries. Maybe there should be "Thanks for letting me know" or "Ditto" buttons. #ui #ux #mores #
- RIP, artist (sound, visual, conceptual) Rolf Julius (b. 1939). Listen: http://j.mp/h7w5wN Look: http://j.mp/e0k7eE Read: http://j.mp/g3O2x6 #
- Anyone seen DJ Premier's Beats That Collected Dust Vol. 2 as a digital download, or is it vinyl only? #
- RIP, conceptual artist Dennis Oppenheim (b. 1938). See his Crystal Recorder: http://j.mp/hZVOdx via @ubuweb #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• February 5, 2020: The first session of the 15-week course I teach at the Academy of Art about the role of sound in the media landscape.
• April 15, 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• December 13, 2020: This day marks the 24th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2021: This day marks the 9th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• At least two live group concerts by Disquiet Junto members in the San Francisco Bay Area are in the works for 2020.
• I have liner notes for a musician's solo album and an essay in a book about an art event due out. I'll announce as the release dates come into focus.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0455 / Inner Invertebrate / The Assignment: What does a moment (or a day) in the life of a jellyfish sound like to a jellyfish?
• 0454 / Lsoo Vneg / The Assignment: Encode the name of someone you love into a piece of music.
• 0453 / Dial Up / The Assignment: Imagine the technologically mediated First Contact through sound.
• 0452 / Let's Scream / The Assignment: Get cathartic. Be resilient. Turn your scream into music.
• 0451 / Ursula's Silences / Make music inspired by a line from A Wizard of Earthsea.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 455 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments