- Tip for our era's musique d’ameublement: "@daveseidel: appliances likely based on 60Hz, which is where I tune all of my (non-improv) music." #
- Morning sounds: fairly certain microwave & computer fan are octave apart. Also: bus, baby snore, ice crackling in black coffee, one bird. #
- I parsed new @rushkoff book Program or Be Programmed from musician-centric POV: http://j.mp/gyFbYK (on @wammusic) He did play w/ Psychic TV. #
- ♫ FYI, Egyptian e-musician Mahmoud Refat has music alongside Zimoun tracks on some CDs. More Refat tracks: http://j.mp/gWyqbd #smallworld #
- ♫ Straight Outta Cairo: More experimental Egyptian music: Mahmoud Refat's glitch-ambient "Searching Data" http://j.mp/gCqfBX #
- ♫ Straight Outta Cairo: Experimental Egyptian music for when reading latest uprising news: http://j.mp/3RAwid (Hassan Khan live in 2009) #
- Wondering, as I do on occasion, the extent to which the Human Target is a highly literal compression of Shade the Changing Man. #
- Notice up at an uncharacteristically coy touchradio.org.uk: "Touch Radio at The British Library National Sound Archive": http://j.mp/e76mtC #
- And, in SF Public Library's comics collection, Hellblazer is broken up alphabetically by author. #continuity #
- Comics categorization at SF Public Library is a riot. Some Dungeon alphabetized under Blain not Trondheim due to name order on covers. #
- If I get enough done today then I'll treat myself to concert apparently featuring induction coil generator made from feedback of 20 strings. #
- Two days without yubnub and I have gone back, command-line tail between my legs. #
- Noon Bells (Dishwasher Mix) #
- Posted thoughts about tech un-self-consciousness of most pop music. Then got excited by @jgrossnas tweet about Nick Lowe reissue. #hypocrite #
- Obvious to point of underestimated: how MP3s don't degrade. Listening now to 10-year-old rip of BBC stream; still sounds just as it did. #
- I don't think music publicists understand how much they undermine themselves & each other with sheer volume of communication they produce. #
- One Piece anime BitTorrent downloaders sued. Translation: the accused would be pirates of pirates http://tinyurl.com/4dardmn #
- Did CS Lewis write a fable for parents of newborns about a magical wardrobe containing clothes that aren't all stained with spit-up? #
- Amazon Kindle Singles were invented primarily to help people prop up their GoodReads stats. #
- Some day there will be a J Dilla bot retweeting all Raymond Scott references. #
- RIP, country singer Charlie Louvin (b. 1927) via @lenpsmall @countrymarxist @fbjournal His warbly vowels contained multitudes. #
- The Dow just hit 12,000. Edge Question: Will it hit 36,000 before or after the web dies? #
- Martin Scorsese: Ingram Marshall, may I use Fog Tropes in Shutter Island? Marshall: OK. Scorsese: Is it OK if DiCaprio vomits in the scene? #
- NYC carriagetrade.org gallery's Facebook page for 'Social Photography' exhibit (cellphone images) disabled due to TOU violation. #antisocial #
- Fantastic four to the floor: "@LardyRevenger: I just heard some bass so fucked up, it sounded like Galactus farting." #
- Some images and impressions of Zimoun's concert @swissnexSF with Jim Haynes last week: http://bit.ly/dNHpvT #
- Trying to wean myself from yubnub. … Mostly this means not putting a "g" before every search entry. #
- Pondering the gray zone between "spec script" and "fan fiction." #
- Magical. "@onyudo: It's a sad day when the 'burp & fart piano' is the #1 free app in the apple desktop app store." #
- He'll wrestle with Nokia's @davestewart "@geetadayal: Will.i.am named Intel director of creative innovation: http://lat.ms/hQvo0m" #
- The folks at @swissnexSF are incredibly polite. Zimoun concert began with this request: "Please turn off or at least turn down your phone." #
- Trying to decide how to mentally balance the simultaneous Egypt protests and the KUSF protest. #
- Pondering the presence of EFF and Creative Commons pages on Facebook. Are they embassies, shantytowns, protest sites, provocations? AOTA? #
- RT @goodbully: "Taco Bell must've taken its cues from the rap game by using fake beef to make a quick buck." via @raynardfaux #
- Tuesday noon siren, filtered through a lot of dubby netlabel goodness. #
- â–º David Lynch's "I Know" single, this time remixed into a "weirdstep" dirge by @Jon_Hopkins_ http://j.mp/gLtPU6 on @soundcloud #
- [email protected] Yeah, it's less the Android kboard, which is good; it's (1) diminished screenscape and (2) motion on public transportation. #
- Couple weeks into Nexus S test drive, and I'm still not a virtual-keyboard guy. Guess I'll try G2 next, or Evo Shift? #tactile #
- "@ario: Best way I've heard a mix described in a long while: 'Only 26% Shazam-able!' [email protected] Mix in question: http://bit.ly/h6vuWx" #
- RT @donald Resurrecting my Chachi Jones alter ego for Sacramento Electronic Music Festival this Sat. @SEMFpresents http://is.gd/iXK6P3 #
- Wondering if the Jason Statham remake of Charles Bronson's The Mechanic will have a similar, gutsy, dialog-free first 15 minutes. #
- [email protected] Culture jamming has always been about disrupting media signals but how do you do it when the media's signal is dispersed noise? #
- "@primusluta: @disquiet Exactly!! It's not disposable income anymore, it's disposable time. You make the noise they brand it." [Well said.] #
- 4 of 5 Oscar best-score noms were on my Top 10 list. I've yet to see Train Your Dragon, but admire John Powell (esp. Mr. and Mrs. Smith). #
- Google Reader painfully slow right now. #
- Popularity of 2010 Top 10 lists on Disquiet.com, declining order: 1 iOS Sound Apps, 2 Netlabel Releases, 3 Commercial Albums, 4 Film Scores. #
- Good one. "@chunter16 @disquiet 'Bass fiction' meaning there's really no bass?" #
- From Kode9 press release: "Don't call him 'dubstep' he prefers to call his music 'bass fiction.'" How about "illbient"? #semantic #genrewars #
- The price of happiness? $6.56: tan tan noodles at Panda Country Kitchen. (Not to be confused with the fast-foot chain.) #szechuan #
- [email protected] Southland is freeing, like watching laughless MASH. Bleeps a little forced, but scorelessness gives every engine & fridge meaning. #
- After watching an episode of Southland, it's hard to take seriously any show with a musical score. Which is to say, just about any show. #
- "The changing table is in view, and the strip on your diaper is blue." #toatunebydavidbowie #
- There will be a Save KUSF rally at San Francisco's City Hall tomorrow, Tuesday, January 25, at 1:00 pm. #
- My pleasure. RT @panospria Review of "Les Nostres Necessitats" by Arnau Sala, thanks to Disquiet: http://j.mp/dLFuey #
- So, a douchebag is just a hipster whose conceit is showing? #
- Late morning sounds: the chamber of horror that is a pediatrician office visit. #
- Just learned of two musicians I admire meeting up because one learned of the other's tour because they both follow me on Twitter. Wonderful! #
- OK, I've set up a @goodreads list just of sound-related books I'm reading: http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/889316?shelf=sound-music #
- Dr. Bishop wears guitar boxers. #
- If you adhere to the idea that today is louder than the past, consider how present in foreground was much of Erik Satie's Furniture Music. #
- Thoughts on Christopher Sorrentino's book on Death Wish: http://goodreads.com/review/show/142952746 // Electric-jazz score by Herbie Hancock #
- Do I write more reviews on Goodreads than Amazon, comforted by illusion I'm not directly participating in an imminent financial transaction? #
- "@TinyNietzsche: The sound of one account unfollowing." via @mbytz #
- Early morning sirens. #richmonddistrict #
- Won't be making the Zimoun opening at @GAFFTA tonight. Baby's first cold takes priority. #doublesniff #
- My favorite @Edge Question response: how free jazz trains us to "work beyond proven cognitive patterns": http://j.mp/eOInx0 #
- Autocorrect is a greater plague than autotune. And autofill is a greater plague than autocorrect. #
- Almost seems unseemly to "Like" Facebook obituaries. Maybe there should be "Thanks for letting me know" or "Ditto" buttons. #ui #ux #mores #
- RIP, artist (sound, visual, conceptual) Rolf Julius (b. 1939). Listen: http://j.mp/h7w5wN Look: http://j.mp/e0k7eE Read: http://j.mp/g3O2x6 #
- Anyone seen DJ Premier's Beats That Collected Dust Vol. 2 as a digital download, or is it vinyl only? #
- RIP, conceptual artist Dennis Oppenheim (b. 1938). See his Crystal Recorder: http://j.mp/hZVOdx via @ubuweb #
5 Most Recent Comments
Stephen Vitiello: "thank you Marc! "
Andrew Culture: "I now wish I had seen Buster Scruggs at the cinema, although I’m not sure it ever got a..."
jimmy kipple: "Rubber stamp! You going full mail art in ’19?? ;) "
Michael Ross: "Thanks for the shout out Marc "
Martin: "I just fell over this article while browsing about disquiet. Thanks a lot for the write up. Nice to know..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• February 6, 2019: First day of the new semester of the 15-week "Sounds of Brands" course I teach once a year at the Academy of Art in San Francisco.
• March 22, 2019: I'm giving a talk at the Algorithmic Art Assembly, two days of events in San Francisco: aaassembly.org.
• December 13, 2019: This day marks the 23rd anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2020: This day marks the 8th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It has been translated into Spanish, and is due out soon in Japanese, as well. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
The Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects:
• 0372 / Honeymoon Phase / The Assignment: Record a piece of music with (only) your most recently obtained instrument or music/sound tool.
• 0371 / Concrete Ambience / The Assignment: What could concrete wallpaper music sound like?
• 0370 / Through Lines / The Assignment: Follow a single strand in the accumulated material resulting from a multi-part, multi-thread collaborative endeavor.
• 0369 / Final Solo / The Assignment: Record the final third of a trio, adding to a pre-existing track, based itself on a prior pre-existing track.
• 0368 / Engage Duo / The Assignment: Record the second third of a trio, adding to a pre-existing track.
... And there is a complete list of past projects.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice