- Evidence of social media's value as self-selecting filter: few people in my social networks cared it was "Social Media Week." #
- [email protected] @mapmap Here's a request for at least one @soundcloud taste while you're still in the studio. #
- At the library, a guy reeking of pot just took out five books on garden pest control. Let's all wish him luck. #
- It's just possible this Creative Commons T-shirt won't help dispel the idea CC-licensed art isn't ready for prime time: http://j.mp/hPNaiN #
- It's funny to look at the Facebook pages of netlabels and see which ones are and aren't "in a relationship." #
- Dear @goodreads if someone hasn't reviewed a book, why do you persist in including a "see review" link next their name in a search result? #
- We're discussing what videogame music is "worthy" of Grammy's attention. Not that Bieber & Maroon 5 set the bar high http://j.mp/e0jU8G #imr #
- Wondering how well cellphone word-prediction is preparing us for sentence-, paragraph-, and book-prediction. #
- If you do Facebook, there's a http://www.facebook.com/disquiet.fb page for that. #ambient #phonography #soundart #remix #noise #silence #
- Mubarek didn't understand that, traditionally, positive political news gets announced early in the week, not on Fridays. #
- RIP, Symbian. Are e-ecosystems (like "natural" ones) inherently diminished whenever a species goes extinct? #
- J Dilla died five years ago today. #
- I miss FÃ¤llt. #
- RT @vuzhmusic Feb. Art Forum has Hua Hsu on Tellus, Alan Licht on Robert Wyatt, + Christian Marclay. Is ArtForum becoming @thewiremagazine? #
- 2/22 is the birthday of the man who gave hertz their name (Heinrich Hertz). Call for celebratory sound art here: http://j.mp/ezl2Ag Due 2/15 #
- First, the book review with a seven-month lead time. Now the record review with a four-month lead. I love the old world. #
- â–º Cicada singing at 1/8 speed, a glowering chorus of insectoid dread: http://t.co/2SUhgYL Via @timprebble #
- It's oddly unnerving when the L.A. Times beats the New York Times via email to announce something like Mubarak's non-resignation. #
- [Bingo.] RT @Entroporium: Didn't this used to be named Remain In Light? RT @disquiet: Eno co-producer on new album from Seun Anikulapo Kuti #
- Hey, @carlstone and Robert Henke share a birthday: today. #
- Urban foodies stand in line the way American classical-music audiences applaud. #
- Brian Eno credited as co-producer new afrobeat album from Fela's son, Seun Anikulapo Kuti (Knitting Factory, June 21). #
- After my tirade y'day on Homans' absurd Black Swan critique http://j.mp/fVnGw9, Macauly groks Clint Mansell's effort: http://nyti.ms/g1zPyF #
- Mid-morning sounds: sleeping baby's breath, desktop drive/fan, fridge, occasional email-arrival beep; no traffic, no birds. #
- "@EdieBushwick: You may also look into 'Conversation' and 'Parallax View' (1974)" [Two of my favorites, especially Murch's Conversation.] #
- The Mechanic (1972), The Limits of Control (2009), The American (2010), The Mechanic (2011). Thinking about mercenary silence. #
- Netlabels come and go, just like regular record labels. Counterintuitively, they leave a more self-evident trail: the un-updated webpage. #
- [email protected] Oh, totally — the Grammy award that supposedly includes television music rarely ever nominates television music. #
- LACMA's free online art catalogs include great 'Report on Art and Technology Program (1967”“1971)' http://j.mp/h0DtMD Thanks, @tylergreendc #
- Pondering the absurdity of the Grammys' extended delay to recognize video game music: http://j.mp/e0jU8G #imr #
- Gotta love a library Baby Rhyme Tyme event that involves the pre-song instruction "whatever works logistically." #
- It's a 2-meetup day. Tonight: @soundcloud (San Francisco), but first: Baby Rhyme Time at the library with my 5-month-old. #
- I'll be interviewing sound artist Zimoun in coming week or so. If you have any questions about his work, @/DM/email me. http://t.co/5VkwBtQ #
- I really need to visit New York between May 20 and June 11: http://j.mp/dOvKWT (Ryoji Ikeda solo exhibit.) #
- â–º Church-choir super-slo-mo remix, just beautiful: http://j.mp/fG3CPa #glacial #
- My thoughts on the Grammys' comic indifference to video-game music goes live tonight here: http://j.mp/7aph Part of 5-day media-yap #
- A press release about a ringtone doesn't deserve one exclamation point, let alone three. #
- "@timprebble: ahhhh the cicadas are singing – they are so happy to be alive" #eartwit #
- "Dubstep" has really become to much electronic music what "digital" was and "green" is to moving consumer goods. #
- â–º Experiment in chord progressions by Saffron Slumber: http://t.co/820U68Q It's like listening to Erik Satie morph into Harold Budd. #
- Didn't think I'd read something that would make me want to defend Black Swan. Until this: http://j.mp/fVnGw9 #
- Per @sashagrey interview, wondering if tape splices are the new modular synths. It is a natural progression from current cassette revival. #
- Facebook page for Egyptian musician Ahmed Basiony, slain during January uprising, now 70 followers shy of 6,000 http://j.mp/f3oOz2 #
- New from @evernote: "Edit styled notes from your Android device." This will have me revisiting it. #
- Gotta love invitations to (non-fundraiser) cultural events that include the words "cordially invited" followed by price of admittance. #
- Sasha Grey has a noise band http://j.mp/ec2dlF Another branch in the tree of Soderbergh-related sound. via @xlr8r #
- Finally got to the Zimoun exhibit @GAFFTA. If you're in San Francisco, you need to see this DC-motor-powered set of installations. #
- BBC picks up Ahmed Basiony's (alt: Bassiouni) death during Egypt uprising: http://j.mp/dMWctL musician, artist, teacher, husband, dad of two #
- Morning sounds: heater, shower, cars, bus, typing, laptop drive/fan, TiVo drive/fan. #
- To the 2 people who care, I've adjusted to virtual keyboard. But I returned the Nexus S, 'cause absence of notification light = ridiculous. #
- Excellent: the AP's Karin Laub picked up fate of late Egyptian musician Ahmed Basiony, interviews his gallerist friend: http://j.mp/eZC0zc #
- I do wonder if the price of physical comics is a conspiracy intended to spur ereader purchases. #
- Lawrence Lessig's Creative Commons isn't a conspiracy to engender lots of free entertainment in order to sell more electronics. #
- Help @djrupture answer the question "What if the DJ were the NGO?" in Morocco: http://kck.st/edA7fp @kickstarter #
- Today's San Francisco noon-Tuesday siren recon mission: the Cantonese edition (25th Ave and Lincoln, in the Sunset). Accomplished. #
- RT @robsheff happy 100th birthday Elizabeth Bishop and thank you. "All the untidy activity continues, awful but cheerful." #
- â–º Happy #dilladay — now go listen to @whyarcka "gettin' Dilla out my system." Side A: http://bit.ly/fxfIZ5 & Side B: http://bit.ly/e1FMF7 #
- RT @pheezy "Wesleyan U Press is busily preparing 50th anniversary hardcover edition of Cage's maverick Silence (1961)" http://bit.ly/eoEDaz #
- "@digiki: Curation is not selection. Curation is about making sense and drawing new connections between contents." [Sing it, brother.] #
- Facebook page for Egyptian musician Ahmed Basiony, slain during uprising on Jan 28, now 9 followers shy of 5,000 http://j.mp/f3oOz2 #
- Learning to play Buddy Holly's "Well Alright" on a ukulele isn't a huge accomplishment, but it feels good. #
- Have I missed out on any IPv666 paranoid end-times chip-implant conspiracy-mongering? #
- Remember the Angie/Marvin Steve Reich mash-up? There's an app for that — or at least an electronic Takara Tomy toy: http://j.mp/hsuWRW #
- JJ Abrams Super 8: "Stand by ET" / "You guys wanna go see an alien?" #
- Just noticed that after all this Depeche Mode joking, I've never posted my DM interview on Disquiet.com. I'll get on that. #
- Ezra Pound: "The artist is the antenna of the race." … Gov. Nikki Haley: "Tear down this antenna." #
- How is playing a video game more antisocial than reading a book? Have I been reading books incorrectly? Should I be reading them out loud? #
- â–º Straight Outta Cairo: http://100radiostation.com/ "Electronic music from Egypt, the Arab world and International …" #
- Of the past week's memorials to slain Egyptian musician Ahmed Basiony, this is work I most want to know more re: http://j.mp/hUrhva #jan25 #
- Far enough in the future, as information blurs and smudges, people will think David Hume was a philosopher of free wifi. #
- I'm not very interested in writing about commerce but I recognize that my favorite way to buy music these days is via @kickstarter projects. #
- Bunch of us talking about pop music at In Media Res in run up to the Grammys http://j.mp/f5W0ng Hosted by @tedfriedman http://wp.me/pb7S3-8u #
- I saw another one just the other day / a special new netlabel: http://www.archive.org/details/mysterybear #
- There are a whole lot of sirens in the (San Francisco) Richmond District right now. It's like surround sound. #
- Re: last tweet: This http://j.mp/dEspzL seems to be this @lifehacker post http://j.mp/hydDwL (pizza-box phone stand) run thru synonym-izer. #
- There will be an internal Domino's Pizza memo cautioning franchises on depleting stock of plastic box inserts by giving 'em away sans pizza. #
- So, @votediego (aka @dbernalmusic), running for San Antonio City Council, has campaign event there on Feb 12. Question: Is he DJ'ing it? #
- Facebook page for Egyptian musician Ahmed Basiony slain during uprising on Jan 28: now 75 followers shy of 4,000 http://j.mp/f3oOz2 #
- I've got a piece on systemic non-gamer cultural myopia regarding video games in a nifty online anthology this week. I'll link when it's up. #
- It's 72 degrees in the house. If I wanted this, I'd move to the Mission and pay more for my living quarters. #richmonddistrict #
- Dear Mr. Shakespeare, I'm really sorry you didn't live long enough to experience CTRL Y or CTRL Z. They're awesome. Love, Marc #
- Anyone know how to run multiple instances of ResophNotes (portable) on Windows 7? #
- "@banyek314: a madarak mÃ¡r minden zenét megcsinÃ¡ltak elÅ‘ttünk http://j.mp/emf1rZ" [Roughly: "the birds' music was there before us," I think] #
- Facebook page for slain Egyptian musician Ahmed Basiony who died during uprising: now 31 followers shy of 3,000 http://j.mp/f3oOz2 #
- If you hear ping pong on public radio, it's likely a report on ex-cons. Or ping pong. Or Both. #
- The full-length album is arguably younger than the justices seated on U.S. Supreme Court, excepting Kagan (b.1960). #
- Highly recommend following @dizzybanjo & @geetadayal as they LT the MIT computer-music symposium, streaming here: http://j.mp/aPWSMR #
- Noon Bells (Skateboards and Old Carburetor Mix) #
- Reading on ukulele sites how certain types of wood are sexy slightly takes the gross out of how tech writers call cellphones sexy. Slightly. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• July 28, 2021: This day marks the start of the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0485 / Strange Weather / The Assignment: Remix the pure sounds of Chris Kallmyer's traveling wind chimes to your own musical purposes.
• 0484 / A Movable Heart / The Assignment: Transplant the sounds of Chris Kallmyer's wind chimes to a new location.
• 0483 / Type Set / The Assignment: Use a recording of yourself typing something as the underlying rhythmic track for a piece of music.
• 0482 / Exactly That Gap / The Assignment: Make a musical haiku following instructions from Marcus Fischer.
• 0481 / Capsule Time / The Assignment: Record a time capsule for yourself in the future.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 485 consecutive weeks to date.
Tagsapp audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft current activities field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments