- RIP, computer engineer Tom West (b. 1939), subject of Tracy Kidder’s 1981 Soul of a New Machine. @wired @ev_rat followup http://goo.gl/GOFrB #
- After-midnight sounds: cars blowing past stop signs, house rattling as bus puts on brakes, TV crackling as it cools. #
- RIP, Gil Scott-Heron (b. 1949). And whitey's on the moon. #
- These noise-canceling earbuds are no match for Lionel Richie. #hello #
- Thanks, @tmbobile & @samsungmobileus — got the OTA update to my Galaxy S 4G phone today. It's running smoothly — that is, more smoothly. #
- YouTube autoplay gets credit for unintended first-of-the-morning duet between demos of SynthPad and Sound Cells. #
- Otomata Quartet: four instances of the generative sound app working in tandem http://t.co/kq0rtSM #video #
- Fahrenheit 450 #lessinterestingbooks #
- The Thomas Crown Missed Connection #lessinterestingstevemcqueenmovies #
- If I'm not mistaken, a friend of mine is each day changing it so that it is again his birthday on Facebook. #nanoculturejamming #
- Waiting for plane to pass, just as I was about to play a visiting friend quiet audio from upcoming project. #
- #busted RT @TheOnion: NEWSWIRE: Eject Button Hit Just To Hear Cool Little Servomotor Sound Of Disc Emerging via @entroporium #
- Slate's em-dashes diatribe would have been more convincing had it employed them elegantly rather than emulated the hysteria it perceives. #
- Somewhere a refrigerator door is waiting for me. #onecaption #
- The @newyorker profile of Cory Arcangel cites his use of words "demo" and "Pro Tools" as evidence of his "penchant for marketing lingo." #
- Previous tweet was title of work cited in seemingly begrudgingly respectful Cory Arcangel profile in May 30 New Yorker. #
- “Photoshop CS: 84 by 66 inches, 300 DPI, RGB, square pixels, default gradient ”˜Spectrum,’ mousedown y=22100 x=14050, mouseup y=19700 x=1800”#
- iPad pro tip: super silent reading when near sleeping baby. No nasty page-turning noise. (Caveat: Needs cough-suppressant app.) #
- What 121 prepared dc-motors and cardboard elements look/sound like, latest from Zimoun: http://t.co/Q2mDdGY #
- Just learned http://www.loop-line.jp/ (gallery, venue) in Sendagaya Tokyo closed March 28. Makes me sad. Was my first stop on every visit. #
- Should be a lofi Blade Runner remake in which Deckard is addicted to using web captchas to convince himself he's not an android #
- Lovely pairing of generative webapp Otomata & iOS SoundPrism (gets going ~ 0:58, but watch in full for trial & error) http://goo.gl/aPo3G #
- Photographic evidence that Dubai's architects play Minecraft: http://goo.gl/7TAH5 #
- Afternoon audiostream: micro-waltz http://soundcloud.com/all-n4tural/three-over-four-on-wood #
- Flower Drum Ringtone #boringmusicals #
- Mortgage #boringmusicals #
- A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Chatroom #boringmusicals #
- Tulsa! #boringmusicals #
- The Muzak Man #boringmusicals #
- Sunday in the Park with George Hamilton #boringmusicals #
- Nice parallel in @ryuichisakamoto Red Bull interview: YMO wore fake Chinese garb; David Sylvian's band named after Japan http://t.co/uciqRJM #
- Hoping that "RiYL" is a relatively common term, as I'm now tagging all Disquiet.com free downloads with such references. #
- Morning sounds: desktop fan whirring, ice cubes clinking in coffee, cars rolling by. #
- Just got music.google.com invite. The service would be more cloud-like if it didn't require software install to upload audio. #
- Frustrating HTML5 audio players either do too little (no name tags) or too much (auto-pull all links on given page). WordPress tips welcome. #
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco. Baby seemed to pause and look around when hearing it. #
- RT @radiomaru GPS pronouncing Santa Monica in a way that I can't even begin to explain #eartwit #
- RT @emarg0ed good eyes ;) can't believe you found that. well, I guess the secret's not so secret any more: http://kikapu.org/ #
- Never delete a dead RSS feed, because you never know when the feed will suddenly show signs of life. #
- For Bob Dylan's 70th, here's my 2007 @newmusicbox piece, parsing his autobiography for thoughts on electronic music: http://goo.gl/Q1C1x #
- Anyone else having issues with the @soundcloud embeddable player visibly flashing on/off in Firefox 4? #
- Congrats, @AlarmWillSound, on your 10th birthday. Their download gift to fans: an Ives-ian arrangement of the Shaggs: http://t.co/WZTzSnC #
- 10.5 more hours of writing. Then: Manchurian food. #
- "For what is the present, after all, but a growth out of the past?" –Walt Whitman #
- While in 7-Eleven today, found myself looking for a new issue of (defunct) Scratch on the magazine rack. #ghostpain #
- Apparently today everything will be an unintentional mash-up with "Row, Row, Row Your Boat." #
- RT @josephknight If you're in Firefox & having issues with Delicious security certificate, go to http://t.co/SdYl4c9 & create an exception. #
- Worthy (if, sadly, unlikely to make goal) @kickstarter to send US audio artists to Brazilian Amazon http://kck.st/f3q2pX #
- As of two days ago, there's an Android app for @sonicsquirrel — a major host of #netlabel audio http://goo.gl/pL37A #
- Thought this track's opening was especially interesting. Turns out that was the earbud slowly expanding to fit my ear. #
- Has @internetarchive been particularly iffy this weekend? #
- Looking forward to afternoon tour of local Russian Orthodox church, whose bells resound in the neighborhood daily. #richmonddistrict #415 #
- RT @osakimandias Left my recorder running when I started writing today. On playback, the typewriter sounds like a distant, fierce gun battle #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• February 5, 2020: The first session of the 15-week course I teach at the Academy of Art about the role of sound in the media landscape.
• April 15, 2020: A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• December 13, 2020: This day marks the 24th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2021: This day marks the 9th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• At least two live group concerts by Disquiet Junto members in the San Francisco Bay Area are in the works for 2020.
• I have liner notes for a musician's solo album and an essay in a book about an art event due out. I'll announce as the release dates come into focus.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0454 / Lsoo Vneg / The Assignment: Encode the name of someone you love into a piece of music.
• 0453 / Dial Up / The Assignment: Imagine the technologically mediated First Contact through sound.
• 0452 / Let's Scream / The Assignment: Get cathartic. Be resilient. Turn your scream into music.
• 0451 / Ursula's Silences / Make music inspired by a line from A Wizard of Earthsea.
• 0450 / Texture Analysis / The Assignment: Create a piece of music from sounds related to working with rocks.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 454 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds Buddha Machine chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance live performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments